Study into Family

Hi guys,

I'm a final year undergrad student in the UK conducting my dissertation, and my topic is you guys! More specifically, American LDS! I'm looking into some of the factors which impact family formation and child bearing attitudes. I would really appreciate it if some of you could take part in it; I need results before the end of the Christmas break (so around early January), so if any of you have any friends who are also american and LDS, I would appreciate it if you could pass this on to them.

Survey | Qualtrics Survey Software

My contact details are on the survey, so if you have any questions, just drop me a line here or on the email address provided.

God bless,

Kat.

Always the one to throw a 'spanner in the works' as you might say, I tried reading through your survey without answering it. I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but participants are supposed to be able to omit any question in the survey. I am about to run a Qualtrics survey myself and there is no way my IRB would let me set it up so that participants *had* to answer each question. btw - I teach research methods. I know a few things.

But let's move on... some of your words don't match the given meanings. People may mark 'don't know' when they really mean that you don't provide a proper word.

I'm not sure you will get responses that will answer your research question. Just sayin'

Vort - I was able to find the correct synoym for Emanate....its "come" as in "it comes from" "starts from" "Originated from" etc.

Dahlia - I was able to find a match for each and every word on the survery. Not sure what the problem is here, maybe because I'm an in college and do this in my english classes all the time?? Remember, you have to pick the word which is closest to the word in all caps. Many words have different synoyms, but in the end, they all are related. It will be completely different from the other words listed as an option.

I thought this survey was really awesome! I'm interested to see the results as I can see how the questions (and possible answers) would be related due to family size, beliefs and intellegiance. :)

Edited by Sunshine_Lily

Uh... Dahlia is an associate professor at a major university here in the US, IIRC. I think she knows what she is talking about. :)

I wasn't discounting Dahlia, I was replying to several people who had commented that they were unable to find a match to the words. I'm confused as I was able to find one for each and every single word, not sure if perhaps the survey provides different words for each user or the same list...but I was just noting the fact that maybe I'm just used to these types of problems because I do them in english all the time.

I was also stating in response to someone saying a word had a "wrong" synomyn. The survey said to pick the word closest to be a match for the word in all caps. Many words have different synomyns...they aren't "wrong", even if they aren't the best pick.

Edited by Sunshine_Lily

I wasn't discounting Dahlia, I was replying to several people who had commented that they were unable to find a match to the words. I'm confused as I was able to find one for each and every single word, not sure if perhaps the survey provides different words for each user or the same list...but I was just noting the fact that maybe I'm just used to these types of problems because I do them in english all the time.

I was also stating in response to someone saying a word had a "wrong" synomyn. The survey said to pick the word closest to be a match for the word in all caps. Many words have different synomyns...they aren't "wrong", even if they aren't the best pick.

My experience was the same. Even emanate took me perhaps 3 seconds.

But let's move on... some of your words don't match the given meanings. People may mark 'don't know' when they really mean that you don't provide a proper word.

I'm not sure you will get responses that will answer your research question. Just sayin'

It asks you to chose a word which you believe is closest to the meaning of the word in question, not necessarily a word that defines it. These questions haven't originated from the author of this survey. I can find them in multiple academic papers including one from this lady: John A. Logan College, Dr. Jane Bryant’s Biography entitled "American Government Across Time, Space, and Location".

Uh... Dahlia is an associate professor at a major university here in the US, IIRC. I think she knows what she is talking about. :)

I take it you've never heard of Dr Freddy Patel (just a random example)? He was a medical doctor of equal/elevated standing in the community too Ian Tomlinson: Pathologist who made scores of errors during botched post-mortem on the newspaper vendor is struck off | Mail Online. To trust professionals without question would, in my opinion, be a mistake.

I'm pretty sure that Kindergarten through senior year of high school is only 13 years, not 14. But I'm not good at math.

Whilst it was said on this thread that the survey was targeted towards American LDS, the survey itself does not, so may actually be intended for LDS in multiple countries? The number 14 may just be an average meaning mandatory state education, as it's really what happens after that, that is relevant, in my opinion.

Edited by Mahone

I wonder if it's a conversion between UK school systems and US school systems done incorrectly?

Whilst it was said on this thread that the survey was targeted towards American LDS, the survey itself does not, so may actually be intended for LDS in multiple countries? The number 14 may just be an average meaning mandatory state education, as it's really what happens after that, that is relevant, in my opinion.

The Australian Educational System as I know it goes as follows:

Kindergarten - 1 year

Pre-Primary - 1 year

Primary - 6 years

Secondary - 6 years

UK Education System (Bini would be more qualified to tell us this) don't really call it Kindergarten. This is how theirs is organized:

Nursery - 1 year

Primary - 6 years

Secondary - 7 years

Both total 14 years.

Edited by anatess

UK Education System (Bini would be more qualified to tell us this) don't really call it Kindergarten. This is how theirs is organized:

Nursery - 1 year

Primary - 6 years

Secondary - 7 years

Both total 14 years.

I can't tell you anything about the Australian education system, but having been through the English education system myself, I can tell you:

- We do use the phrase 'Kindergarten', with local variations

- Primary school is 7 years (there is an additional non-mandatory year at the age of 3 which could make it 8)

- Secondary school (the mandatory part of it) is 5 years. There is an additional two years that is actually sixth form college and is not mandatory.

Edited by Mahone

- Primary school is 7 years (there is an additional non-mandatory year at the age of 3 which could make it 8)

The idea of a three-year-old enrolled in a daily formal school is somewhere between absurd and enraging. A three-year-old belongs with his mother.

I think that is probably why it is "non-mandatory", leaving the family to make that decision, alternately you can be glad you don't live amongst those heathens in the UK.

-RM

Agreed. Or, much worse, among the Germans, who would put me in jail for teaching my children.

The idea of a three-year-old enrolled in a daily formal school is somewhere between absurd and enraging. A three-year-old belongs with his mother.

If you look at it from a extremely simplistic point of view, maybe. The world is more complex than that however.

For starters, it is not mandatory. If the family does chose that path, there is probably a very legitimate reason for it. A single mother/father for instance, has to work to support her/his child.

Secondly, because it's not mandatory, it doesn't have to be every day - this can be up to the discretion of the family depending on circumstances.

Thirdly, I think "daily formal school" doesn't describe nursery very well. I used to maintain the servers at one primary school that had a nursery (not all schools have one) - it was completely segregated off from the rest of the school, had an independent entrance, different opening and closing times to the rest of the school and the activities were really no different to that of the nursery in church.

I really fail to understand how any of this is "absurd" or "enraging"?