Resist the Devil

prisonchaplain

Resist the Devil purports to offer insights into the thinking of Evangelicals, and to promote understanding between them and Muslims. What we get instead is a novel about a community church in which the pastor repeatedly admonishes his congregation to resist the Devil. That Devil can be found in false religion in general, Islam in particular, and in an ever-degenerating world. Some of his congregation take the words to heart, establishing a survivalist cell group. They stockpile food and weapons. I do not want to spoil the ending, but where their is fear, lots of "spiritual warfare" rhetoric and weaponry it's a pretty easy guess.

So, thus far, Muslims learn that "Evangelicals" fear them, consider them a false and demonic religion, and that we are unstable and violent. What we learn about them (one of the characters visits an Islamic Center and has a conversation with a Muslim lady) is that they bristle at the word "Islamist" and that the females do not all have to be covered all the time. That's about it.

Now for my vent: I reviewed the book, giving it 2-stars out of five. The writing is engaging, and the story is believable to a point. My argument is that the author painted Evangelicalism with far to broad of a brush, and that her story's community church might better represent a radical fringe of Fundamentalism (a much smaller and much more counter-culture faction of Christianity than Evangelicalism). So, I suggested that the author tell us more about Islam and consider doing away with the overreaching stereotypes.

Reaction to my review? The author thanked me in a comment. One of her fans sorta complimented me, though she concluded that more Evangelicals are like the radical unstable group in the book than we want to admit...oh, and after that broadside, called for greater tolerance and individual respect. LOL

If all this sounds fun, and you want to explore more see: Resist the Devil: Mary Jeddore Blakney: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

My take away for here: I"m starting to understand how y'all feel when you read some of the more virulent ANTI materials.

Edited by prisonchaplain

Guest LiterateParakeet

This is interesting for a couple reasons...first for the reasons you mentioned, but wow, the author "thanked you" for a bad review? As a writer, I have been taught that writers should not respond to reviews...at all. It's considered bad form in the writer's community. I think the counsel is generally to prevent authors from responding negatively to bad reviews, but...well...just interesting...

And sorry that you are on the receiving end of "anti-" stuff. That is not fun, I agree.

I am pleased to report that the author really took my review to heart. She re-did the product summary, which was the real problem. As a result, I edited my review and upped her to four stars. Sadly, it was another reviewer that doubled-down, saying that millions of Evangelicals thought like the Fundamentalists in the story and needed to be exposed.

Like I said in the original review, the writing was good, and the subject interesting. It's original billing as insight into Evangelicalism was the problem...one that is now resolved.

Ahhhh....happy endings. :-)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Wow, isn't a good feeling to know that something you said/did made a difference? Way to go!

I'll have to put this book on my "to read" list, just to see what all the fuss is about. :)