Les Misérables on Christmas Day

Bini

I've been semi following the press on, Les Misérables, that is premiering on Christmas Day. Seems like there are some skeptics out there but overall it's receiving good reviews, praising Anne Hathaway for her performance, and with talk about it being a "force to be reckoned with" come the Academy Awards.

I'd really like to see this on opening day but my husband is partial to it. Then again, I've enjoyed it a couple times at the West End Theatre, and I'm interested to see how it will translate onto the big screen - he on the other hand has never seen it. Anyone else going to watch this one?

I just realised that on Christmas Day we're not home but visiting family.. The only reason why that would be a problem is because everyone in the family will want to see it, and no one will want to watch baby.. Ha ha. Sigh.

I'm going to see it, but I am a bit worried the music won't be as good. I've seen it live 3 times and LOVED IT! The 25th Anniversary concert of Les Miz was ruined by that Jonas brother doing Marius- he just didn't have the pipes to do Marius. I hope the movie isn't ruined by a "star" who can't sing.

I do love the Phantom of the Opera movie, but I saw the London Cast perform it on DVD and they blew the movie cast away. The voices were so much better. I imagine Les Miz will be the same.

We're going to see it.

My 9-year-old son - the Les Mis fan - wants to see it but we might end up walking out. His favorite songs are sung by Javert (Stars, Confrontation, etc.) and he is "almost sure" (his words) Russell Crowe is going to suck from what he saw on the expanded trailer.

I'm really curious to see how Borat is going to do! I'm sure Helena is going to be smashing - I think this role is perfect for her - whether she's a good singer or not!

I'm going to see it, but I am a bit worried the music won't be as good. I've seen it live 3 times and LOVED IT! The 25th Anniversary concert of Les Miz was ruined by that Jonas brother doing Marius- he just didn't have the pipes to do Marius. I hope the movie isn't ruined by a "star" who can't sing.

I do love the Phantom of the Opera movie, but I saw the London Cast perform it on DVD and they blew the movie cast away. The voices were so much better. I imagine Les Miz will be the same.

There is something special about seeing a performance LIVE, especially, on a Broadway stage. My favourite musicals have always been those delivered on stage with a curtain pull, versus, on the big screen. If I'm to be honest, I am curious of how the movie will compare to the theatrical musical but I'm not worried, per se.

The Phantom was ruined by Emily Rossum. Her singing voice was okay but when she sings, it's like her voice is completely detached from her face - she loses all facial emoting skills! So, it's like she's just a ventriloquist's doll.

Lots of people gave negative criticism for Gerard Butler. I thought he was awesome.

Oh, talking about facial emoting skills - Christine on the 25th anniversary concert was the best!

I just realised that on Christmas Day we're not home but visiting family.. The only reason why that would be a problem is because everyone in the family will want to see it, and no one will want to watch baby.. Ha ha. Sigh.

I'll watch her. I've never seen any production of Les Mis, nor am I familiar with the music, so I don't really care so much about this movie.

I'll watch her. I've never seen any production of Les Mis, nor am I familiar with the music, so I don't really care so much about this movie.

That's a handful! With your 4-year old, one year old and my daughter being a few months older.. :D

I hate movies/books that make me cry. So, I don't plan on watching "Les Miserables" unless I'm dragged to it. It may be one of the best movies/stories out there, but I don't need more sadness in my life.

Back when I was a teenager I read the book "Gone with the Wind". It was so good, I couldn't put it down. I sobbed and sobbed while reading it. I could never bring myself to watch the movie. In fact, I have refused to watch the movie. I don't think I can put myself through that kind of emotion again.

I hate movies/books that make me cry. So, I don't plan on watching "Les Miserables" unless I'm dragged to it. It may be one of the best movies/stories out there, but I don't need more sadness in my life.

Back when I was a teenager I read the book "Gone with the Wind". It was so good, I couldn't put it down. I sobbed and sobbed while reading it. I could never bring myself to watch the movie. In fact, I have refused to watch the movie. I don't think I can put myself through that kind of emotion again.

That's how I felt watching The Prestige. Beautiful movie, well written, well acted, well directed, fanciful but not absurdly so. But it was simply too emotionally costly to watch that I care ever to do so again.

That's how I felt watching The Prestige. Beautiful movie, well written, well acted, well directed, fanciful but not absurdly so. But it was simply too emotionally costly to watch that I care ever to do so again.

You were able to say exactly how I feel. It's too emotionally costly. Thanks.

The 2006 one, starring Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman? If not, I still thought that movie was excellent!

Lots of people gave negative criticism for Gerard Butler. I thought he was awesome.

Not to be unnecessarily rude, but I just can't think of another word to describe this: Gerard Butler sounded distinctly constipated throughout the entire movie.

But then, the first time I saw the stageplay was in Los Angeles in the early nineties, and Michael Crawford was playing the Phantom.

The Phantom was ruined by Emily Rossum. Her singing voice was okay but when she sings, it's like her voice is completely detached from her face - she loses all facial emoting skills! So, it's like she's just a ventriloquist's doll.

I've also decided she looks freakish as a blonde for "Beautiful Creatures".

Still can't think of a better person for Ridley.

Not to be unnecessarily rude, but I just can't think of another word to describe this: Gerard Butler sounded distinctly constipated throughout the entire movie.

But then, the first time I saw the stageplay was in Los Angeles in the early nineties, and Michael Crawford was playing the Phantom.

I grew up listening to Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman, and both are fantastic. I remember watching an old biography of Crawford and learning that he had little intentions of becoming a singer.

The current (well at least a year go when I was there) Phantom in London's West End was surprisingly a much better singer, vocally, than Crawford. Crisp, clear, just beautiful. But Crawford, of course, will always be The Phantom of The Opera.

The current (well at least a year go when I was there) Phantom in London's West End was surprisingly a much better singer, vocally, than Crawford. Crisp, clear, just beautiful. But Crawford, of course, will always be The Phantom of The Opera.

Do you know who the actor was? Is he on the stageplay performance that's on Netflix?

The guy who is Enjolras in Les Mis for the 25th anniv concert is the Phantom in the 25th anniv concert. I like that guy. I mean - his voice is not as Phantomy as Colm Wilkinson (my favorite Phantom) - but man, I got goosebumps when he sang Christine I love you in the end...

And Grantaire in Les Mis is Raoul in Phantom. I like him too.

Norm is my favorite Javert.

I liked Lea Salonga better as Eponine instead of Fantine.

I have to say, the movie trailer with Anne Hathaway singing I Dreamed a Dream is very, very powerful... But, I still can't imagine Hugh Jackman pulling off Bring Him Home...

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

I disagree. I thought Emily Rossum was great!

I have yet to see an opera singer that shows much expression. A relative of mine sings opera. When my relative sings (and also when I have watched other opera singers sing)- there is not much facial expression.

Opera singers make a sound which is beautiful from the beginning, without any manipulation. Opera singers sing LOUD which is not a piece of a cake. They must make enough sound to fill a large building like a concert hall or opera house without any sort of amplification. This requires a certain amount of physical effort, and it also makes very specific demands on the singer in terms of the position of the jaw, the tongue, and all the other parts which go to making the sound. It requires a lot of skill and concentration.

-

As far as Les Miserables goes, I can't wait to see it! I won't be seeing it on Christmas day though.

Edited by Star_
+ signature

Do you know who the actor was? Is he on the stageplay performance that's on Netflix?

I don't recall off the top of my head. I would have to read the booklet we got from it, although, not sure where I put it.. But he was truly sensational! And I'm a big Michael Crawford fan.