Poll: Simple Testimony Statements

Christyba75

Do you agree with this statement?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with this statement?

• God is real.
    • God is physical.
    • God has a physical body.
    • God's body is made of physical things.
    • All physical things are part of the universe.
    • God is part of the universe.
    • God can separate from his physical body.
    • God can not separate from his physical body.
    • God can do anything.
    • There are some things God can not do.
    • There are some things God will not do.
    • God's body is made of matter.
    • Matter can exist outside of the universe.
    • There is nothing in the universe that is not known to God.
    • God knows everything.

Now that I think about it, Jesus did separate from His physical body when He died on the cross, so oops on that one. I should have marked it, sorry.

There is some ambiguity about what exactly is meant by some of the statements. This is a good example, if one takes it as a reference to Christ's death, that is separation from a physical body at the time, it is different than if one takes it as God being able to slough off his body like a pair of pants and put it back on after again after having become a resurrected being.

There is also some ambiguity with the statements trying to pin down concepts of omnipotence. If God can do anything does that mean he can do the impossible? By definition the impossible isn't possible. You can have an entire side thread about if being about to do anything means that power to do anything possible or the power to do anything conceivable (or even inconceivable I suppose) by the mind of man.

So you could have people who believe the same thing answering differently on the poll based on how they parse the questions. Also, in trying to refine the positions the various options may result in people trying to parse distinctions they wouldn't normally do (e. g. God has a physical body versus God's body is made of physical things). Because why waste time asking the same thing twice? So you hunt for the difference.

Edited by Dravin

Sorry, I think I dropped something from my previous post. I don't recall what it is, but here's another attempt.

For those who say that God is real/material/physical AND who say that God is not part of the universe or that God can exist outside of the universe . . .

What is your definition of the universe if it does not include everything that is physical and everything that is material?

By definition, doesn't the "universe" include everything? How can something exist outside of the universe?

Edited by Christyba75

Sounds as though the thread might give you some comfort on your own beliefs.

Why would what others thought matter?

Indeed- and given how many of the laundry list are speculative at best, one cannot help but wonder what the point of the exercise is.

One can poll a thousand wandering lunatics and find a plurality who insist that the Earth is flat, but what would be the point? A consensus among flat-Earthers does not magically transmute the Earth from round to flat.

Speculation and personal opinion do not change the facts- they merely obfuscate them.

The results of this "poll" will not provide substance or insight.

Given this:

For those who say that God is real/material/physical AND who say that God is not part of the universe or that God can exist outside of the universe . . .

What is your definition of the universe if it does not include everything that is physical and everything that is material?

By definition, doesn't the "universe" include everything? How can something exist outside of the universe?

....one might begin to suspect that you are push-polling in order to win a certain argument...

Why not start with the post I quoted and leave the useless polling at the door?

Edited by selek

Sorry, I think I dropped something from my previous post. I don't recall what it is, but here's another attempt.

From a scientific perspective, many cosmologists believe there are multiple universes. What kind of science are you in again?