Keeping an Open Mind

Landy77

I have been a member of the Church of a few years now. I have always believed the more you know about a subject the better you can respond to someone in that field of work, faith etc. I read off and on a lot of material from anciencient texts and other religions to have a basic understanding on the subject. I was reading a few things about Peaganism and its history. I ran across a "book of shadows" which is a fancy name for a journal. This journal is a connection of writings from promenant Peagans and is around 2600 pages in total. In the beginning of reading about these people it seemed like an amusing pass time. I have realized this is very serious business and I get the feeling the more I read into this the more I will be harming myself. I have always heard knowledge is a wonderfull thing, but I am actually not sure if reading this would be of any benefit to me.

It sounds like the Spirit is either telling you to walk the other way, or withdrawing from you. There are so many good books and so much good, enlightening, positive information on other subjects out there. No reason to hold on to this one.

I would agree, a friend a long time ago told me even though you know better does not mean you should entertain the activity, like watching certain movies etc. At the time I didn't really grasp what he said. For some reason that conversation from years ago comes to mind. I have fealt guilty for having this. Some things are not so innocent I guess.

For clarification, when you refer to Peagans, is that in reference to "Neo-Pagans" and other earth based religions?

Just out of curiosity, how old is this Book of Shadows? I've looked into Neo-Paganism from a purely academic standpoint and in my readings, the earliest ones were done in the mid twentieth century due in large part to the work of Gerald Gardener. A Book of Shadows is also typically not a history of famous practitioners, but rather a personal tome containing specific rituals, events and personal histories that are of interest to the individual.

As to whether or not it is inappropriate to read such materials, that's pretty much dependent on the promptings you may receive from the Spirit. If you feel that you are being warned of such materials, then I would heed that advice. I've never experienced such warnings before and personally don't believe any danger comes from an academic study of such materials.

Hidden

I think it is great to learn about other cultures, religions, etc. Knowledge is a great thing.

If you feel you should read anymore about this religion then don't. There is no point in reading something (especially continuing to read) if you don't have to and are unsure about its benefits. You sound like you are uncomfortable at this pont. That is a good sign to stop. As others have mentioned, it could be the spirit prompting you to stop.

Yes, Neo-Pagan religions. I was not referring to a book written by someone you can buy at a store. What I was given is a collection of journals on several pagens that have been put together. The Book of Shadows that was given to me does have rituals and rites performed, administration of a coven etc. It is definatly not an academic writing and I kinda feel silly for even asking this question on here. I wasn't sure if I was going overboard.