Confounding of language, Ether 1

Seminarysnoozer

How did Jared know ahead of time that their language could be confounded (i.e - future tense) with enough time to ask his brother to pray to the Lord that it wouldn't (future tense)? Ether 1:34

I guess I always assumed that this was in one swoop that all their languages were changed and not a process that occurred over time enough to give time to pray that it didn't happen as they were observing it occur to people around them. This makes me think of a disease process, possibly, such as TB that could cause them to go deaf and maybe even want to "scatter" to get away from it.

And a side question, why does Jared always ask his brother to pray for things and not take on that himself? Seems like he had plenty of faith to do it himself. It comes across as Jared being the one in charge as he says things like "Go and inquire of the Lord ...". Even if the brother of Jared is the leader, it seems like Jared is giving orders in Ether 1. I am having a hard time picturing the nature of that relationship.

And a side question, why does Jared always ask his brother to pray for things and not take on that himself? Seems like he had plenty of faith to do it himself. It comes across as Jared being the one in charge as he says things like "Go and inquire of the Lord ...". Even if the brother of Jared is the leader, it seems like Jared is giving orders in Ether 1. I am having a hard time picturing the nature of that relationship.

Keep in mind the narrative may not capture all the nuance in communication that may have existed. In other words:

A. My brother, you are a man of great faith and I feel inadequacy concerning the task. Go and ask of the Lord for us.

Gets turned into:

B. Go and inquire of the Lord...

There is also a cultural gap at play that can make relationships confusing looking back at them.

Edited by Dravin

How did Jared know ahead of time that their language could be confounded (i.e - future tense) with enough time to ask his brother to pray to the Lord that it wouldn't (future tense)? Ether 1:34

I guess I always assumed that this was in one swoop that all their languages were changed and not a process that occurred over time enough to give time to pray that it didn't happen as they were observing it occur to people around them. This makes me think of a disease process, possibly, such as TB that could cause them to go deaf and maybe even want to "scatter" to get away from it.

Or you could go with what the scriptures have told us that God has done all the other times he is about to pour out his wraith and execute judgement against a people. He warns them, calls them to repentance.

While we don't have a record of such warning for the Tower of Babel, it just makes sense that they were given one. And given the status of the brother of Jared as a man of God it also makes sense that he might have been one of the ones doing the warning.

Assuming that, then Jared asking his brother to pray not to be confounded makes alot of sense.

Maybe something similar to a king/prophet relationship like Saul/Samuel, David/Nathan, and so on.

I'm not sure of the exact relationship between Jared and his brother. Perhaps it had to do with who was the firstborn son and the birthright. However, I think these first few chapters of Ether have an important point to make about spiritual growth, trials, and faith. The brother of Jared at first follows counsel (v 34-38) but then in verse 42 he is told, "thou shalt go at the head". He continues to progress until in Ether 2:23 the Lord does not command but instead asks, "What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?" He first followed Jared, then the Lord, but now he is to determine how to proceed. In great humility but bold faith he tells the Lord, "therefore touch these sones" and "O Lord thou canst do this." The result is that he "rends the veil", and sees the Lord.

Thanks for all your responses. As I read more into this it seems too that it is very possible that the underlying reason for their request to not be confounded (which to me sounds like being 'dumbed down') is that they could maintain the precious and plain parts of the gospel they had that was in the form of the Adamic language. If they lose that, then they would need special translation to have that information as did King Mosiah later.

I like the idea of them likely being warned ahead of time, something along the lines of 'if you keep putting your faith and pride in the arm of man then I will confound your language and scatter you'.

It seems like the brother of Jared is the more righteous one and the more favored one of the Lord and yet Jared is the one who seems to be pushing more in the beginning. To me this almost sounds like a reactivation process. Where the brother falls away and is brought back and found to be more righteous then the one who brought him back. This is somewhat repeated in that after four years of not calling on the Lord, he had to be reminded again. Maybe the brother of Jared is like Cowdery in some ways, at times losing his savor.

Thanks for all your responses. As I read more into this it seems too that it is very possible that the underlying reason for their request to not be confounded (which to me sounds like being 'dumbed down') is that they could maintain the precious and plain parts of the gospel they had that was in the form of the Adamic language. If they lose that, then they would need special translation to have that information as did King Mosiah later.

I like the idea of them likely being warned ahead of time, something along the lines of 'if you keep putting your faith and pride in the arm of man then I will confound your language and scatter you'.

It seems like the brother of Jared is the more righteous one and the more favored one of the Lord and yet Jared is the one who seems to be pushing more in the beginning. To me this almost sounds like a reactivation process. Where the brother falls away and is brought back and found to be more righteous then the one who brought him back. This is somewhat repeated in that after four years of not calling on the Lord, he had to be reminded again. Maybe the brother of Jared is like Cowdery in some ways, at times losing his savor.

A couple of thoughts.

As to how they knew about the confounding of language - because prophets (including the brother of Jared) had been sent by G-d to declare such a thing and that they following the proclamation had hoped to avoid the things given in warning.

Concerning why Jared asked his brother? Jared was the (chosen) leader of those people but his brother was chosen by G-d to preside over the priesthood. We see this contract of proper separation of church and state often manifested in scripture. But it is important to note that the necessary evolution of the kingdom of G-d is that the presiding priest also be the king - Jesus Christ. But it is probable and likely that as the kingdom is prepared for Christ the true presiding priest and king that the ecclesiastical leader (presiding priest) is not the political leader (king) of the law.

The Traveler