Priesthood vs. Faith

Hello all,

I have been studying both faith and priesthood and I'm starting to have difficulty separating the two.

I know that faith is not some unseen substance that we culminate but rather it's the process of trial, obedience, sacrifice, etc. We learn that it is the assurance of things hoped for, the existence of things not seen...and that it's a hope for things not seen, which are true. Joseph Smith said that is is the principle of action and of power in all intelligent beings. Hebrews tells us that the worlds were formed by it, and that it is the source of the miraculous powers and stories we all know and love.

The priesthood is said to be the power and authority of God. The book "True to the Faith" says that the Lord created and supports the world by it. In the topical guide the scriptures referenced are about power given from God to miracles.

I am confused, did the Lord form the earth by his faith or by his priesthood. and what is the difference from priesthood power and the power of faith?

okay, I do like your definitions, they bring clarity, but it seems that there is more to it. what is specific to priesthood power and not the power of faith or vice versa?

As I understand it, Priesthood power is the power to use your Priesthood authority to bless others. Merely having the Priesthood conferred upon you does not give you power in the Priesthood.

I think I see what you're saying. You've given me a lot to think about. Perhaps it is our worthiness and faith that fives us power in the priesthood

Elder David A. Bednar gave a wonderful talk on the authority of the priesthood in connection with the power of the priesthood.

People may have the authority of the priesthood, but they may not have the power of the priesthood, because of their worthiness and faith.

Vort provided an excellent example for distinguishing the one from the other. The Priesthood is similar to a tool, and faith is actually using the power of the tool given.

It doesn't matter how nice or powerful the tool is, until we actually proceed with actions (faith) to use the tool nothing will get accomplished.

• 1 year later...

Excellent talk....

"Priesthood is power like none other on earth or in heaven. It is the very power of God himself, the power by which the worlds were made, the power by which all things are regulated, upheld, and preserved.

It is the power of faith, the faith by which the Father creates and governs. God is God because he is the embodiment of all faith and all power and all priesthood. The life he lives is named eternal life.

And the extent to which we become like him is the extent to which we gain his faith, acquire his power, and exercise his priesthood. And when we have become like him in the full and true sense, then we also shall have eternal life.

Faith and priesthood go hand in hand. Faith is power and power is priesthood. After we gain faith, we receive the priesthood. Then, through the priesthood, we grow in faith until, having all power, we become like our Lord." -Elder Bruce R McConkie