What I will be focusing on today, in my favorite Sunday dress

Women of Righteousness - Liahona Dec. 2002 - liahona

Some favorite parts:

President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) responded to that question this way: “Both a righteous man and a righteous woman are a blessing to all those whom their lives touch.

“… In the world before we came here, faithful women were given certain assignments while faithful men were foreordained to certain priesthood tasks. While we do not now remember the particulars, … we are accountable for those things which long ago were expected of us” (My Beloved Sisters [1979], 37).

More than ever before we need women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity, as the Relief Society declaration proclaims (see Mary Ellen Smoot, “Rejoice, Daughters of Zion,” Liahona, January 2000, 112). We need women who can hear and who will respond to the voice of the Lord, women who at all costs will defend and protect the family. We don’t need women who want to be like men, sound like men, dress like men, drive like some men drive, or act like men. We do need women who rejoice in their womanhood and have a spiritual confirmation of their identity, their value, and their eternal destiny. Above all, we need women who will stand up for truth and righteousness and decry evil at every turn and simply say, “Lord, here am I, send me.”

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be wearing my Sunday best while focusing on the blessing and role of being a woman in His church. Take the Sacrament, serve in my calling, be kind to those around me. . . normal Sunday stuff. I like the article I linked because it's a reminder of how cherished and needed I am for my special gifts as a woman.

Forgive me, Eowyn, but will you be focusing on those quotes and your womanhood, or will you be focusing on your favorite Sunday dress? If it's the former, then why even mention the latter?

I wonder how the women who chose to wear pants as a protest would answer this question.

I wore pants today. I took the Sacrament, was extended a calling, felt the Spirit, and did all that normal Sunday stuff. Nothing felt different to me. And that's kind-of the point: it shouldn't be different.

I didn't wear pants in protest. I wore them in support of women who have felt persecuted, demeaned, or otherwise less-than in the Church. I know some of these women. I've never felt that way myself. I don't aspire to hold the Priesthood. I don't want to change doctrine. Where I live, there's actually not even that much culture that I feel could be updated, as far as male hierarchy in the Church goes. I've been fortunate in my life not to run up against these things.

But I wore pants today as an action of solidarity, to show sympathy to the women who I know do feel unequal.

What calling, Wingers?

Nursery. I told the bishopric counselor I needed a few days to wrap my head around it. I intend to say yes, but the last time I served in Primary, I transferred my records to a singles ward to get out of it. He laughed and found that amusing.

Nursery. I told the bishopric counselor I needed a few days to wrap my head around it. I intend to say yes, but the last time I served in Primary, I transferred my records to a singles ward to get out of it. He laughed and found that amusing.

See? You're being punished. :cool:

I know nursery leaders who wear pants as a matter of habit.

There is no rule against pants.

So solidarity for what? To me it's going to church in a spirit of defiance, which doesn't scream solidarity to me. It's not about pants. I just wish y'all would say what you actually want, because you're protesting against something that doesn't exist.

But mostly I'm just so, so sad for the feeling of discord and division between RS sisters online that I've felt so acutely this week. That does not come from a good place. Yes, I recognize that by posting that last night I participated in it, and for that I'm sorry. But I'm not sorry that I would rather go to church wearing MY best- which by society's standards, not just LDS standards, is one of my dresses- and do the regular Sunday stuff, than to go to a meeting meant to renew sacred covenants in the spirit of opposition.

I wore pants today as a sign of solidarity with those men who are nitpicked by nagging women and made to feel less-than-whole by the Church. I don't know if anyone noticed, so I intend to keep wearing pants to Sunday services until someone in authority takes pity on these poor men and forces their wives to stop wearing the pants in their families. Because pants are the ultimate sign of authority and power in this world, and you must wear pants to be recognized as a real person. Pants. Pants. Pants. Yeah, I like to say the word pants, because just saying the word gives me power. Pants.

The thing is...this whole "Wear Pants to Church" Sunday was in protest and in rebellion to support the LDS feminist movement.

So while it might have been done in solidarity...to many it would be looked upon as protesting which still in my opinion is not appropriate at church.

I wore pants today as a sign of solidarity with those men who are nitpicked by nagging women and made to feel less-than-whole by the Church. I don't know if anyone noticed, so I intend to keep wearing pants to Sunday services until someone in authority takes pity on these poor men and forces their wives to stop wearing the pants in their families. Because pants are the ultimate sign of authority and power in this world, and you must wear pants to be recognized as a real person. Pants. Pants. Pants. Yeah, I like to say the word pants, because just saying the word gives me power. Pants.

Try saying pants pants pants in England and see how much power that gives you. :lol:

The thing is...this whole "Wear Pants to Church" Sunday was in protest and in rebellion to support the LDS feminist movement.

So while it might have been done in solidarity...to many it would be looked upon as protesting which still in my opinion is not appropriate at church.

I agree that a protest is not appropriate at church. I wasn't planning on wearing pants today, actually, because of that. Yesterday I learned that the event page on Facebook had been taken down because of death threats. That sealed the deal for me, and I chose to support the women who were told they should be shot in the face for daring to be different. I chose to do it in a spirit of sympathy and bearing others' burdens. I did not feel the Spirit any less at church today than usual. In fact, I felt it more than usual, but that's due more to the lessons, talks, and music than it was to my attire.

My husband wore a new purple shirt as well.

And as someone else mentioned, I'm strongly considering wearing pants more frequently now, as a matter of convenience in serving in the Nursery.

I agree that a protest is not appropriate at church. I wasn't planning on wearing pants today, actually, because of that. Yesterday I learned that the event page on Facebook had been taken down because of death threats. That sealed the deal for me, and I chose to support the women who were told they should be shot in the face for daring to be different. I chose to do it in a spirit of sympathy and bearing others' burdens. I did not feel the Spirit any less at church today than usual. In fact, I felt it more than usual, but that's due more to the lessons, talks, and music than it was to my attire.

My husband wore a new purple shirt as well.

And as someone else mentioned, I'm strongly considering wearing pants more frequently now, as a matter of convenience in serving in the Nursery.

Funny, you didn't vote for Romney, and he was threatened with assassination for wanting to be an honest president.

Yesterday I learned that the event page on Facebook had been taken down because of death threats.

Sounds like there is a "wear a dress or else" gang out there or something? Oh please, some people have really nothing else to do! Personally folks, I can't believe that almost in 2013 we are wondering whether or not women should wear pants to Church. Seriously?? It's so ridiculous, isn't even funny.