Ensign

Landy77

Can anyone tell me why it seems when a talk is being given the Ensign is being read almost verbatim? I understand using the Ensign as a source of information, but if most of the people you are speaking to have also read the article what is the point in the talk?

I agree. It is a fad which appears to have started in the US a few years ago. I've never seen it anywhere else.

I have to agree too. I do know that many times people are asked to pick an article from the Ensign and then give a talk on it. But I don't think it meant to read the entire article. I think it was meant to use it as a reference and build your talk around it.

I have to agree too. I do know that many times people are asked to pick an article from the Ensign and then give a talk on it. But I don't think it meant to read the entire article. I think it was meant to use it as a reference and build your talk around it.

It is easy to jump to that conclusion when a member of the bishopric asks you to talk about Elder So-and-so's talk...

It is easy to jump to that conclusion when a member of the bishopric asks you to talk about Elder So-and-so's talk...

Perhaps for many. I've been asked to do that after a General Conference. I guess I see it differently.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I have not seen that here in Washington...

But if I did, I would think of it as "the widow's mite". They are doing their best. Some people are not skilled at public speaking. I love that our church makes people step out of their comfort zones, even if sometimes that means people read the article word for word...and I sleep. ;)

Because some people have never learned how to read something, form their own thoughts on what they read, and then talk about those thoughts. It's a lazy person's way to give a talk without actually having to work at it. It happened today in my ward with a High Councilor. He gave a talk and basically read this month's First Presidency message from the Ensign, which my ward uses as its 1st Sunday lesson in Priesthood Meeting. We had all heard it before.

Can anyone tell me why it seems when a talk is being given the Ensign is being read almost verbatim? I understand using the Ensign as a source of information, but if most of the people you are speaking to have also read the article what is the point in the talk?

Many do this thinking that others will pay more attention...a lack of confidence in their own words and abilities.

I've never heard anyone give a talk in Sacrament meeting by just reading the Ensign verbatim. And I've been to quite a few different wards.

I have been on RS lessons where the teacher just read off of the manual and then pauses to ask everyone what they think about it without offering her own ideas. And this included reading the Ensign on Teaching for Our Times Sunday verbatim. But, at least, in RS, everybody can exchange ideas to discuss the talk/manual. You can't do that in Sacrament Meeting...

Perhaps it is because we don't take enough value in our own understanding of the principles we are attempting to convey and perhaps also because we lack enough faith in the Spirit that he will inspire us to speak the things of God.

Then again, perhaps I am wrong. Just offering a thought.

Sometimes it amazes to what lenghts and of what people will find to complain about. For the most part the talks were read when they were first presented. :D

If any individual in a classroom setting feels so inspired that there is something of the talk or lesson that should be discussed more - They have every right and opportunity to raise their hand and ask a question or make a comment.

Really people, if you are sitting in a class listening to a talk being read like a mushroom sitting on a log and adding nothing to a lesson - thinking there is something wrong with the instructor yet following suit - but deciding to complain rather than any other action or possible support? Well, how do you spell hypocrite? :rolleyes:

Hmmmmm - now let us see if we can actual get some "helpful" and constructive comments to improve such a classroom? :(

The Traveler

Traveler,

I tried that in Sacrament meeting once. The look on the Bishop's face for me standing up and asking a question while someone was reading an Ensign talk made me sit down. :)

I agree about in a classroom environment. If I observe that someone has a challenge in teaching a lesson and feels the need to read through the manual, which I have read and studied before class, I will raise questions that usually gets other members of the class or quorum talking and cover the material without having to reread the manual.

I haven't figured a solution to the reading of a talk word for word in Sacrament meeting and not even giving credit to the original speaker.

Ben Raines

I think I have only seen that happen in Russia with people who had never spoken publicly and were nervous (Not that people couldn't have the same motivations here).

Personally, I think the solution for that particular problem is for the bishop to either not assign talks on talks, or to make it clear when he assigns a talk that he is not looking for a reading. I read an article that suggested assigning talks on passages of scripture rather than talks. I am also a fan of teaching people how to give talks. It isn't someone that everyone can just pick up, and it seems like we often just expect them to, especially with converts.

I do enjoy reading and listening to ensign/GC talks, there is a reason those people have been called to the leadership positions they are in, and there is a lot we can learn from them - they have a higher understanding than we do, and if I had the choice of either listening to President Monson give a talk, vs. listening to Joe Plumber give a talk, I would choose listening to the prophet and what he has to say - I don't mind reading the scriptures over and over again, and do not mind hearing ensign articles over and over again either. I do enjoy also hearing from the Joe Plumbers of the world too, and like to a good mixture, of scripture/GC/Manual/ and personal stories to go along with it. All talks are wonderful spiritual adventures for those who are able to listen with ears that hear etc. etc. if we meditate and allow our own thoughts to intermingle with those of the speaker, we can learn from anything and from anyone.

If the Spirit is present, no matter the source it will be received. Good to see you here.

I have not seen that here in Washington...

But if I did, I would think of it as "the widow's mite". They are doing their best. Some people are not skilled at public speaking. I love that our church makes people step out of their comfort zones, even if sometimes that means people read the article word for word...and I sleep. ;)

Yes. Some talks are just quote after quote from the Ensign or a Conference talk. It is one thing to have such a quote and build from it or use it to illustrate a point, it is another thing to have one's all talk made up from such quotes.

I take it as an inability to write a talk or a fear that what one has to contribute personally won't be as good as what's in the Ensign, etc.

I listen to a lot of grad student presentations every term. Some are OK, some are pretty good. The 'OK' presenters kept to the article they read, don't apply it to other things we are learning, or to big issues in the discipline. The students with 'pretty good' talks bring something of themselves into it, go outside of the article and find out how the topic applies in the field, read additional articles, etc. Same thing with Sacrament Meeting talks. Not everyone is 'above average,' as Garrison Keillor might say.