Contention with home-teaching companion

friedmann

Hello everyone,

I have moved away from my home ward in the summer to attend college and now I`m going to one of the many YSA wards over here. Yes, it`s a huge difference, but the more I get used to it, the more I like it.

Anyways, with moving to a new ward comes having a new home-teaching companion, and here is my problem/question. For about two months now, I have not been able to get in touch with my companion. He`s not at Church anymore, I fear he`s struggling himself, but I just can`t get a hold of him. He doesn`t answer calls or texts and when I tried to visit him at home a couple of weeks ago, he wasn`t home and his family was not very excited about the idea of me coming back.

I don`t know him all that well, simply for the lack of time we had to get to know each other, but he seemed outgoing and spiritually very capable. However, he also seemed to get offended rather easily. That`s my fear: He`s also on the committee that is in charge of FHEs, and shortly before he left, I offered him some (kind, I thought) advice by which the whole event could become more spiritual (having someone share a short thought in the beginning, that is). I fear that he has been so ticked off by that that he ended up leaving and quit talking to me. I know that there are many more potential reasons but I just feel some guilt and incapability of changing the situation to the better.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like that? Is there maybe an official guideline I couldn`t find out about yet?

Thanks so much, your help is really appreciated! Merry Christmas to all of you :)

I totally agree with Skal. Make the effort to call your companion. If you can't connect, do it yourself. You will reap the blessings of having done what you need to do.

I would suggest not pressuring your companion to respond...If you have already texted/called/visited him, you've been very clear about wanting to Home Teach with him. Now the ball is in his court to answer/respond to your invitations.

Also, I wouldn't take it personally that he has basically checked out of church activity. What matters for you is your intent and frame of mind in offering the advice you did for FHE....If you were doing it in kindness and in the best intent to suggest how to make it better, your heart was in the right place. And that is what matters to the Lord concerning you. How he (companion) took it it between him and God, until he decides to tell you if it did offend him. Then he allows for a chance for the situation to be resolved between you and him.

Do what you can do, as has already been said. Take joy in that, for anything beyond that is something you have no control over.

My HT's companion often has to pick up extra work on the weekend when the weather is good, so my HT just comes alone. No problem for me. I'd say that if your teachees want to have HTing in their home, it is better for you to go alone than for the teachee to go without a visit every month.