China's Amazing Train

talisyn

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

Of course, comments critical of other countries and leftists can stand, gotcha.

Say what? Point out any post in this thread critical of other countries and leftists so I can understand what you're talking about.

Edited by anatess

$140ish, for what? Fare? Cost per mile to construct? How much of that cost is subsidized? How does that cost compare as a percentage of the average income? How does it compare to the cost of owning a vehicle there? How affordable is it to the average Chinese working-class citizen?

how does that compare to a plane ticket?

Better public transportation would actually be a step forward in the direction of civilisation.

Not necessarily. Private transportation will always be better - individual control of an essential resource provides more freedom and prosperity. Which is why I said government funded bullet trains is a step backwards for the US. A step forward is for the US to leverage private transport with green energy.

Not necessarily. Private transportation will always be better - individual control of an essential resource provides more freedom and prosperity. Which is why I said bullet trains is a step backwards for the US. A step forward is for the US to leverage private transport with green energy.

Sure, there are one or two advantages to personal transport, but most of the need for them is obviated in civilised nations with good public transport systems. Next time you are stuck in traffic forever, please tell me how that "freedom" is going for you. I came from a nation with good public transport, I've been to others with even better, so coming to this nation which lacks a very good system is a step backwards, away from civlisation and progress, in that regard (as well as others, which we won't go into here). It limits my abilities, and, indeed, my prosperity.

I will also add that good public transport systems and infrastructure allow those unable to have personal transport the ability to get around, to and from work, shopping, cultural and recreational activities, political meetings, etc., thus increasing their freedom and advancing the interests of society as a whole. At least that is what civilised places attempt to do. So, yes, a step forward any way you look at it.

Sure, there are one or two advantages to personal transport, but most of the need for them is obviated in civilised nations with good public transport systems. Next time you are stuck in traffic forever, please tell me how that "freedom" is going for you. I came from a nation with good public transport, I've been to others with even better, so coming to this nation which lacks a very good system is a step backwards, away from civlisation and progress, in that regard (as well as others, which we won't go into here). It limits my abilities, and, indeed, my prosperity.

Contrary to your experience, I found that the US has excellent public transportation. About 70% of school-aged children ride one everyday to school in every corner of the nation. Houston is probably the craziest place I've been to transportation-wise. It has awesome public transportation but, of course, majority of the people would rather take their own cars. So, they built a jillion roads all over the place that some sections you'll find expressways crossing each other 8 layers high. It's like some toddler was playing in City Hall, pointed to the map and said, i want a road there. New York City is, of course, the public transportation capital of the US. Not many people who live there own a car. In my city, there is light rail transit, buses, cabs, etc.. At any time of the day, you will be lucky to find 5 people using the light rail. It's just not convenient for a city that is not structured as a pedestrian society.

When I'm stuck in traffic in my non-pedestrian-friendly city (which is rare as I can take my computer anywhere, including the sand dunes of the Atlantic ocean, and work there), I think, well, I can take this car on any road I want anytime I want. I can't take that public transport over the sand dunes, can I? Time to call on the city council to build more roads or call my bosses to encourage more people to work outside of the office. When I need to go so far that a bullet train would be of use, I go take an airplane. There's an airport within driving distance of most towns in the US.

Now, say i have no option but rely on public transportation... That would require that every single place that I want to go to is serviced by public transportation (that's including the sand dunes of the Atlantic Ocean) running on a schedule convenient to my desires. That would shrink my world into a small space.

In America, what limits your abilities is you. And government regulations of course.

Edited by anatess

There are many large cities in the US that have excellent mass transit. San Francisco with the Bart system, Portland has excellent rail systems, New York with subways.

I think Utah is working towards that with the numerous trax systems that have been put into place. Now with the frontrunner going down to Utah Co. It's a move in the right direction but it takes lots and lots of money.

There are many large cities in the US that have excellent mass transit. San Francisco with the Bart system, Portland has excellent rail systems, New York with subways.

I think Utah is working towards that with the numerous trax systems that have been put into place. Now with the frontrunner going down to Utah Co. It's a move in the right direction but it takes lots and lots of money.

Some cities might have good transport, but plenty of places don't, Utah itself has a very, very long way to go (even Egypt has better systems), and don't even get me started on inter-county and state options.

Oh I agree with you. Utah does have a LONG way to go. Most of the US does compared to systems in many other countries. But I think they are making strides in many areas.

Idaho has very little public transportation to speak of. Basically you can bus within Boise, or take a commuter bus if you can get to one of the hubs. Either way, if you work in the city you either have to live in the city (expensive), or drive a car somewhere.

I've seen them. Plenty of times. They're called Filipino immigrants. I could introduce you to some...

Filipino immigrants have big feet? I'm calling my Filipino friends tomorrow to ask their shoe sizes.

Filipino = hobbit?

LOL!!! Some people in my ward wanted to see The Hobbit on opening night in costume. They wanted 13 dwarves, then a tall guy for the wizard and a short guy for the hobbit. My husband at 6'2" volunteered to be the wizard and then volunteered me for the hobbit. LOL. They couldn't get it organized so we never did it.

Heh, and my first thought at the exchange was: "Anatess is getting the Phillipines and New Zealand confused."

Warner Bros almost moved middle earth... The Philippines was wanting to make a bid for it. New Zealand actors union tried to make a move to prevent actors from working on The Hobbit unless Warner Bros negotiate better contracts. Warner Bros responded by announcing they're looking for alternate locations.

Okay, this is like... a million miles removed from the bullet train's 3rd cousin. Maybe not. Unions go hand-in-hand with train tracks construction, doesn't it?