1st marriage to man's 2nd- help!

SisterGraceLDS

Hidden

Forgot to add- I have a daughter turning 18 in a few weeks. Can she be sealed to us? (granted she must be worthy) But I've read the rules were women couldn't get their endowments until they got married- thank goodness that has changed! Or I would have never been able to get mine years ago. But is there an age to when a female can get her endowments?

Posting on LDS Gospel Discussion forum as I need genuine answers.

Am member in good standing with temple recommend. Have served in Primary since becoming active in church- and don't know much about 'adult' matters.

Never married, but engaged!!!! He is divorced (was sealed in temple to former wife). She left the marriage to be with other men and the marriage was broken, unable to be worked out- they divorced.

Here's my questions-

If a sister marries a man who has already been sealed before- what does that mean for the first wife and the second?

With regards to the atonement- the first wife so regrets her actions and has begged him to take her back. He has declined.

Even if we marry, won't the atonement take care of her- if she lives the rest of her life righteously and doesn't remarry- always wanting her exhusband and family back? So if I marry him - what happens to me?

Any insight you can offer would be helpful. And yes- I understand the Lord takes care of everything in the next life- that goes without saying. But I also believe anyone entering something going in- already knowing- they consent to whatever.... I want to be knowledgable and make informed decisions.

Thanks!

A man can be sealed to more than one wife. Even if your husband do not wish to go through a cancellation of his previous sealing, he can still get sealed to you in the Temple.

What will happen to you? If you remain faithful to your temple covenants, you will spend eternity in celestial glory - regardless of what your husband or his ex-wife does.

Am member in good standing with temple recommend. Have served in Primary since becoming active in church- and don't know much about 'adult' matters.

Never married, but engaged!!!! He is divorced (was sealed in temple to former wife). She left the marriage to be with other men and the marriage was broken, unable to be worked out- they divorced.

Here's my questions-

If a sister marries a man who has already been sealed before- what does that mean for the first wife and the second?

With regards to the atonement- the first wife so regrets her actions and has begged him to take her back. He has declined.

Even if we marry, won't the atonement take care of her- if she lives the rest of her life righteously and doesn't remarry- always wanting her exhusband and family back? So if I marry him - what happens to me?

Any insight you can offer would be helpful. And yes- I understand the Lord takes care of everything in the next life- that goes without saying. But I also believe anyone entering something going in- already knowing- they consent to whatever.... I want to be knowledgable and make informed decisions.

Thanks!

Your question has to do with covenants and in particular with broken covenants and repentance.

1. When a covenant is broken the blessings of the covenant are lost and the covenant punishments or promised maledictions (sometimes called curses) come into play. It is important to know and understand that just as there are blessings for being loyal to covenants there are repercussions for breaking one's covenants. This is all in accord with the principles of Law and Justice.

When one breaks their covenants the lose the blessing and the repercussions of justice require a "punishment". In the case of breaking a temple covenant of marriage the blessings of being sealed by the power of the Holy Ghost are lost (forever). That is not a punishment but a loss of blessings.

The punishment is that a person is subject to Satan, his buffetings and controls. This is an awful state that is very damaging to a person's spirit and will bring about eternal damnation. The only escape is repentance. By repentance a person can through the mercies and atonement of Christ receive a remission from Satan and his imprisonment of the sole.

But repentance is a remission of sins and is not a restoration of lost blessings. It is only by obedience to the law that blessings can be obtained. Thus in order for the "first wife" to obtain the blessings of eternal marriage she must enter into that covenant anew -- in other words start over - which includes finding a partner willing to take her in the covenant of marriage.

It is my experience that righteousness individuals that are repentant and willing to submit their personal will and desires to G-d in covenant are rare - and that it is best to repent together to save a marriage rather than to "find another". But if one, being led by the spirit, does indeed find a repentant person willing to devote themselves to the eternal covenant of marriage - They have discovered a most sacred and blessed opportunity for both.

The Traveler

If i understand your question about your daughter right--you seem to be wondering about her needing to be endowed to be sealed to you and your husband. She does not need to be endowed to be sealed to you and your husband.

As far as your question about what happens to you and the ex-wife if you both live worthy and he is sealed to both, but married to you---I think it is one of those things we don't have a lot of clear answers on---but traveler makes a very good point----the ex-wife broke her covenants with her husband (your fiance) Even though he would be sealed to both of you---i have a hard time believing that God would make someone spend eternity with someone they didn't want to be with--but then you can get in to what you said about the atonement taking care of the ex-wife since she is repentant--it can get very complicated to think about----I think that is why they tell us not to dwell on things that are impossible for us to understand.

I always try and remember that we are finite beings with finite minds and that there are infinite principles that our finite minds are incapable of understanding. That was a mouthful!

I DO understand your concern---I wish I could really be of help and have the perfect answer for you--but I don't.

My parents were sealed in the temple--I was born in the covenant--my father left my mother, my mother remarried an active church member, her sealing to my father was broken so she could be sealed to my step-father. I was told I would have to choose who I wanted to be sealed to--my father or my step-father---I was devastated and I sobbed. whoever told me that was wrong. I don't know how it will all come out in the end, but regardless of what happened with my parents, I am still born in the covenant and worthy of whatever blessings that entails.

As long as your daughter is under the age of 21, she will not need to have taken out her own endowments in order to be sealed to you and your future husband. She would be issued a limited-use recommend. If she is 21/or married then she would need to already have her own endowment.

My daughter-in-law chose to be sealed to her mother and her step-father. My DIL was already married to my son, and had already had taken out her own endowments when her mother married her step-father. It was so wonderful to see them sealed.

Here's my questions-

Thanks!

True, we will never be forced to be with someone we don't want in the next life. With the divorce the covenant has been broken. But, if both your husband and his ex-wife in the next life are worthy of the celestial kingdom, and she has not remarried in this life, she may perhaps ask to be with him again. If all has been forgiven, and if we're celestial worthy all will have been forgiven, even between ex-spouses, then would they want to be together again? That's a question you will need to come to terms with. Could you handle it, if in the next life they do choose to be together again? It may be that no matter what, your fiance' would never want to be with his ex again. I would question him on the matter, to see how he feels.

I'm currently in the same situation with being married and sealed to a man who was previously sealed to his ex-wife. We've been married/sealed for over 30 years. My husband is currently seeking a sealing cancellation from his ex. We have no idea yet if the cancellation will be granted. My DH just wants it over and done with and not have this hanging over his head.

Edited by classylady

Your question has to do with covenants and in particular with broken covenants and repentance.

1. When a covenant is broken the blessings of the covenant are lost and the covenant punishments or promised maledictions (sometimes called curses) come into play. It is important to know and understand that just as there are blessings for being loyal to covenants there are repercussions for breaking one's covenants. This is all in accord with the principles of Law and Justice.

When one breaks their covenants the lose the blessing and the repercussions of justice require a "punishment". In the case of breaking a temple covenant of marriage the blessings of being sealed by the power of the Holy Ghost are lost (forever). That is not a punishment but a loss of blessings.

The punishment is that a person is subject to Satan, his buffetings and controls. This is an awful state that is very damaging to a person's spirit and will bring about eternal damnation. The only escape is repentance. By repentance a person can through the mercies and atonement of Christ receive a remission from Satan and his imprisonment of the sole.

But repentance is a remission of sins and is not a restoration of lost blessings. It is only by obedience to the law that blessings can be obtained. Thus in order for the "first wife" to obtain the blessings of eternal marriage she must enter into that covenant anew -- in other words start over - which includes finding a partner willing to take her in the covenant of marriage.

It is my experience that righteousness individuals that are repentant and willing to submit their personal will and desires to G-d in covenant are rare - and that it is best to repent together to save a marriage rather than to "find another". But if one, being led by the spirit, does indeed find a repentant person willing to devote themselves to the eternal covenant of marriage - They have discovered a most sacred and blessed opportunity for both.

The Traveler

If this is true, then why does it still say on the man's records "previously sealed". And in the records the "first wife" is still officially sealed? If "she must enter the covenant anew" like you are saying then why is it still on the records and cannot be taken off?

I have a friend with which that has occurred, she even showed me the record when they went through tithing settlements and looking through their records, her husbands record says previously sealed.

The sealing covenant is a web not a chain. There are covenants/potential blessings between the individual and god... covenants/potential blessings between the couple.... covenants/potential blessings with posterity. All blessings of the sealing (like any covenant) are contingent upon keeping the covenant.

The reason a clearance is done instead of a cancellation when a man remarries is so that the woman still has the opportunity to live the other parts (god and posterity) of her individual covenant.... all blessings are tied to the sealing so if it is canceled (aka annulled) then she would lose those opportunities at the blessings... a choice that must be made by her not because her ex remarried.

The blessing of living the covenant of the couple is the eternal marriage. If you divorce you are not living that covenant so you can't have the blessing. If you can't live the lower law (this life) then you don't have privilege of the higher (eternal). Long story short his ex will have no "claim" upon that part of their sealing in the next life (nor will he have any "claim upon her"). No one will be forced. If she cleans her life up and is worthy of an eternal marriage (but does not select that companion here) then she and god will have to work out who she is sealed to.... she can "claim" the blessing, not the person.

All that said there are those that have been sealed and stay married till death but did not live a righteous marriage and will not have an eternal partnership. The covenant is a promise with potential... nothing more... your fate isn't sealed by walking out of the temple, you must live the promises you made.

As for keeping track of previous sealings and such some of that is a matter of paperwork. If a man (or woman) gets sealed, divorced, then requests a second sealing... that's one thing. If he does this 3, 4, 5 times? They will probably stop granting them because the man has no idea what it means to be married or pick an eternal companion. If they don't keep a record then how will they know when they look up his records at the time his request is submitted. Yes you could make the argument that the spirit could tell them not to grant the sealing but god will not do for us what we can do for ourselves. We have means of making record keeping very easy, there is no excuse not to do it. It makes for a very easy filtering process so only those who are serious make it to the GA's desk and doesn't waste their time. Also the stake/bishop need to know if there are potentially other legal obligations the man may have. For example it is required you pay your child support to get a temple recommend, they need to know if that question is relevant to you.

The sealing covenant is a web not a chain. There are covenants/potential blessings between the individual and god... covenants/potential blessings between the couple.... covenants/potential blessings with posterity. All blessings of the sealing (like any covenant) are contingent upon keeping the covenant.

The reason a clearance is done instead of a cancellation when a man remarries is so that the woman still has the opportunity to live the other parts (god and posterity) of her individual covenant.... all blessings are tied to the sealing so if it is canceled (aka annulled) then she would lose those opportunities at the blessings... a choice that must be made by her not because her ex remarried.

The blessing of living the covenant of the couple is the eternal marriage. If you divorce you are not living that covenant so you can't have the blessing. If you can't live the lower law (this life) then you don't have privilege of the higher (eternal). Long story short his ex will have no "claim" upon that part of their sealing in the next life (nor will he have any "claim upon her"). No one will be forced. If she cleans her life up and is worthy of an eternal marriage (but does not select that companion here) then she and god will have to work out who she is sealed to.... she can "claim" the blessing, not the person.

All that said there are those that have been sealed and stay married till death but did not live a righteous marriage and will not have an eternal partnership. The covenant is a promise with potential... nothing more... your fate isn't sealed by walking out of the temple, you must live the promises you made.

As for keeping track of previous sealings and such some of that is a matter of paperwork. If a man (or woman) gets sealed, divorced, then requests a second sealing... that's one thing. If he does this 3, 4, 5 times? They will probably stop granting them because the man has no idea what it means to be married or pick an eternal companion. If they don't keep a record then how will they know when they look up his records at the time his request is submitted. Yes you could make the argument that the spirit could tell them not to grant the sealing but god will not do for us what we can do for ourselves. We have means of making record keeping very easy, there is no excuse not to do it. It makes for a very easy filtering process so only those who are serious make it to the GA's desk and doesn't waste their time. Also the stake/bishop need to know if there are potentially other legal obligations the man may have. For example it is required you pay your child support to get a temple recommend, they need to know if that question is relevant to you.

This is one of the best answers I have ever heard about this problem. Thanks Gwen!

It is interesting that it is only to this covenant though. Is there a record, for example, how many times one is re-baptized, if they fell away from the church and were to be baptized again .... does it say on the record "previously baptized"?

It is interesting that it is only to this covenant though. Is there a record, for example, how many times one is re-baptized, if they fell away from the church and were to be baptized again .... does it say on the record "previously baptized"?

I certainly hope not. Marriages fall apart and sealings get cancelled without needing a serious sin involved. I presume "Previously Sealed" is a record keeping notation to track the children who were Born In the Covenant of said previous sealing.

As for the current situation at hand, one really needs to talk it through with their Bishop. The rules have changed over the years and I have had a need to keep track of them all. I know that while the technicalities of Temple Marriage permit men to be sealed to more than one woman, the Church, around 1992, began to require men, who were re-marrying, to get cancellations just as women always have.

I certainly hope not. Marriages fall apart and sealings get cancelled without needing a serious sin involved. I presume "Previously Sealed" is a record keeping notation to track the children who were Born In the Covenant of said previous sealing.

As for the current situation at hand, one really needs to talk it through with their Bishop. The rules have changed over the years and I have had a need to keep track of them all. I know that while the technicalities of Temple Marriage permit men to be sealed to more than one woman, the Church, around 1992, began to require men, who were re-marrying, to get cancellations just as women always have.

In the case of my friend there were no children involved and it is still on her husbands record.

If what you are saying is true that "all blessings are tied to the sealing so if it is canceled (aka annulled) then she would lose those opportunities at the blessings..." then, what happens to a man if a woman remarries and is sealed? She would need to cancel her original sealing. This then would leave her former husband without the blessings of that sealing if he never remarries in the temple. Now, I don't take the blessings of the sealing covenant lightly. But, my understanding is that if either a man or woman don't have the chance to have the blessings of an eternal marriage in this life, they will receive it in the next. I take that to mean even for divorced people, not just those who have never married. So, even if a sealing is cancelled, a man or woman will not lose out on their sealing covenants, as long as they remain faithful. They will receive all the blessings they missed in this life in the next. What hope would there be for the men if after a divorce and their ex has the sealing cancelled, and he never remarries? I don't believe there is a double standard here for men and women.

I agree that with a divorce you are not living that covenant. And usually with a divorce there is no longer any desire for the couple to want to remain together. But, with repentance, all can be forgiven. Let's say for example, the ex-wife was the cause of the divorce. She leaves, and her ex remarries in the temple. The ex-wife then realizes what a terrible mistake she has made. She repents, and is truly sorrowful for what she has done. Because her ex-husband has remarried she cannot claim him again in this life. If she never remarries in this life, in the next life she may decide that she would like to be with her ex. I believe it would then be up to her ex-husband if he would accept her, and he may be inclined to do so, especially if there were children involved. He may feel it's his priesthood stewardship to reclaim her. I believe she will have a choice on whom she can "claim". As will the man.

I agree that with a divorce you are not living that covenant. And usually with a divorce there is no longer any desire for the couple to want to remain together. But, with repentance, all can be forgiven. Let's say for example, the ex-wife was the cause of the divorce. She leaves, and her ex remarries in the temple. The ex-wife then realizes what a terrible mistake she has made. She repents, and is truly sorrowful for what she has done. Because her ex-husband has remarried she cannot claim him again in this life. If she never remarries in this life, in the next life she may decide that she would like to be with her ex. I believe it would then be up to her ex-husband if he would accept her, and he may be inclined to do so, especially if there were children involved. He may feel it's his priesthood stewardship to reclaim her. I believe she will have a choice on whom she can "claim". As will the man.

You may want to read D&C section 132 - pay particular attention to vers 7.

The Traveler

The Traveler

Traveler, my understanding of verse 7 is that if the man remarries without cancelling the sealing of the previous marriage, the ex-wife still retains the blessings of the sealing after she repents. But if the sealing is cancelled, then neither husband nor wife has a claim to the blessings of eternal marriage.

Is that right?

My understanding is that it all depends on repentance and forgiveness. For example, if a man and woman who are sealed, divorce civilly, and then later decide the divorce was a mistake, and remarry, they will not need to have their sealing done again (as long as it was never cancelled). They can still claim the blessings of eternal marriage. What is the difference, as long as the sealing was never cancelled, if all has been repented of, and they want to be together in the next life if they were not able to get remarried in this life? If they both chose, could they not have claim on each other if their sealing is still intact and they are worthy? If that is not the case then the promise that all blessings will be made available to those who have not had the blessing of eternal marriage in this life would be an empty promise.

Edited by classylady

The Traveler

Traveler, I see nothing contrary in verse 7 to what I have written. At some point in the hereafter, all blessings will be given to those who are worthy. In my opinion that includes divorced persons. Now to whom they will end up with I do not know. But, I believe they will have a choice in whom they will be with. If both parties (talking of a divorced couple here) choose to forgive one another, and all has been repented of, could they not choose to be with each other? They loved one another at one time, or they would never have been married to each other in the first place. If their sealing was never cancelled, it seems to be the logical choice for them to get back together (especially if they have children together). If one party does not desire to be with the other, then of course it wouldn't happen. If I'm missing something here, then please let me know.

It seems the agency of the "second" spouse is being forgotten about.

I would hope that if my husband and his ex decided they did want to be sealed that my opinion would be considered. If not and it is really up to them and I'm not part of it.... If I the "second" wife, who loved him and stayed committed to him through thick and thin of this life, have to take a back seat to someone that hated and despised him here simply because of the order of operations of the sealings.......

Am I the only one that sees how this does not line up with justice or mercy of which our HF is supposed to be perfect at balancing?

We are given laws here, if we can live them we have opportunity to claim the blessings of a higher law there. In marriage it is living this life together (being sealed) and you can claim an eternal marriage. No amount of repentance (baring remarriage) can restore the covenant broken upon divorce. There is no claim.

As for the perceived double standard I don't claim to understand it all but I believe that is "reconciled" through the priesthood. The cold truth is this life (including the church) is full of double standards. I'm not losing a lot of sleep over it. lol The culture of the church has always put the greater responsibility of relationships on the man, that's what happens when you "preside".

It seems the agency of the "second" spouse is being forgotten about.

I would hope that if my husband and his ex decided they did want to be sealed that my opinion would be considered. If not and it is really up to them and I'm not part of it.... If I the "second" wife, who loved him and stayed committed to him through thick and thin of this life, have to take a back seat to someone that hated and despised him here simply because of the order of operations of the sealings.......

Am I the only one that sees how this does not line up with justice or mercy of which our HF is supposed to be perfect at balancing?

I agree, Gwen. My husband and I have talked about this. He knows that I am NOT okay with him getting back together with his ex. I'm the one who has been by his side for over 30 years. We've talked about if I should die, and if he should remarry, that I wouldn't want him to remarry his ex. And that includes the next life too. I'm not okay with him getting back together with his ex then either. And I know the Lord won't require it, if they, or even one of them don't want it.

But, my fear, <gulp>, is that when we are all perfected, and love one another, have repented and have asked forgiveness and have forgiven all trespasses, and have an understanding that we don't have at this time, would I be okay with it then? Would they be okay with getting back together again? My husband doesn't hate his ex, he's forgiven her for her infidelities. And she doesn't hate him. In fact, she regrets her actions and what it has done to their family. She has never remarried in the temple. I can see that, because of my husband's good heart, and his feelings of responsibility and stewardship, that in the next life, if his ex came to him, or if his Priesthood leaders/Lord came to him and said "she requires a spouse. Your sealing to her is still intact. Will you accept her?" I could see my husband accepting her. He would feel it would be the responsible thing to do. It would give his children he had with her peace and joy. He once loved and cared for her. He has forgiven her, even though some of her acts have been heinous, and has damaged his self-worth and self-esteem.

The only reason he wouldn't accept her under those type of circumstances would be me. But, would I be worthy of Celestial Glory if I still harbored bad feelings towards her? Would I, at that point in time love her like my sister and friend? Would I then be okay with it? And, would we (you or I) be taking a back seat to the first wife? I know that our commitment and love of our husbands, and their love of us, wouldn't be forgotten by them. If all is equal, somehow or other we wouldn't be taking the back seat. Somehow, all will work out. It's just that with our limited understanding we don't know what that will be. What I've been trying to say, is that there are circumstances with a divorce, that with the two spouses involved, in the next life they may agree to accept each other again. Any man or woman who is considering marrying a person who has been previously sealed, need to do so with all the knowledge and understanding there is available.

Edited by classylady

If we were to compare two women in the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom, what traits or set of traits would any man also in the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom find in one but not in the other to allow him to distinguish them to the degree that he would say, "I prefer that one over the other"?

I think if one were to really ponder that question she would realize that there would be hardly a distinguishing factor between the two. Unlike in this world where we are fallen and have numerous deficiencies that allow for such a distinction.

I realize this also depends on how strong one's testimony is about those that enter into the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom receiving "all" that God has. If one believes that people really only receive part and not all, then I can see how one would hold onto a belief that people in the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom would have distinguishing features or traits that one would find desirable or "preferred" over another.

But, would I be worthy of Celestial Glory if I still harbored bad feelings towards her?

No. Bad feelings and Celestial Glory don't go together.

Would I, at that point in time love her like my sister and friend? Would I then be okay with it?

I don't think we, as we are now, can fully comprehend the perfect love of Jesus Christ. At that point in time, if you qualify for Celestial glory, you would have fully comprehended and bestowed that same perfect love to everybody.

And, would we (you or I) be taking a back seat to the first wife?

If all of you are in Celestial glory there is no such thing as a back seat. Will Peter take a back seat from John? Or Paul from Peter? Or Joseph Smith to Paul? No, there's no such thing as a back seat in Celestial glory. Including wives.

What I've been trying to say, is that there are circumstances with a divorce, that with the two spouses involved, in the next life they may agree to accept each other again. Any man or woman who is considering marrying a person who has been previously sealed, need to do so with all the knowledge and understanding there is available.

This doesn't just involve ex-wives. This also includes 2nd marriages after a death of a spouse.

For me, I don't see the problem of having my husband sealed to more than just me. Yes, I will have a problem of him having another wife in mortality but I completely understand, accept, and acknowledge that this is because I still can't completely shed my selfishness in this mortal probation. I completely accept and acknowledge that if I want to qualify for Celestial glory, I better learn to shed this selfishness and learn perfect love, if not in this life, then in the next, before I get judged by the Father.

Edited by anatess

No. Bad feelings and Celestial Glory don't go together.

I don't think we, as we are now, can fully comprehend the perfect love of Jesus Christ. At that point in time, if you qualify for Celestial glory, you would have fully comprehended and bestowed that same perfect love to everybody.

If all of you are in Celestial glory there is no such thing as a back seat. Will Peter take a back seat from John? Or Paul from Peter? Or Joseph Smith to Paul? No, there's no such thing as a back seat in Celestial glory. Including wives.

This doesn't just involve ex-wives. This also includes 2nd marriages after a death of a spouse.

For me, I don't see the problem of having my husband sealed to more than just me. Yes, I will have a problem of him having another wife in mortality but I completely understand, accept, and acknowledge that this is because I still can't completely shed my selfishness in this mortal probation. I completely accept and acknowledge that if I want to qualify for Celestial glory, I better learn to shed this selfishness and learn perfect love, if not in this life, then in the next, before I get judged by the Father.

I agree! Very well said.

Edit: I was using rhetorical questions in my previous post to make a point.

Edited by classylady

The most important trial of this life for those that prepare for the Celestial Kingdom concerns the New and Everlasting Covenant of Marriage. I am convinced that salvation in the Celestial Kingdom is not a matter of individual worthiness but an “oneness” obtained and shared through the covenant. A oneness that can only be obtained by a willingness to sacrifice one’s self (as Christ did) for our partner. If we are not willing to sacrifice ourselves for the short comings of our covenant spouse - I do not believe we are “one” or capable of establishing a Celestial Kingdom.

The Traveler