Who would you trust?

Star_

From a layman's perspective and it may not hold any "water", but here it is:

- A psychologist helps us to question our paradigms and our mental state, if it can be controlled by our thoughts. Sometimes medication helps as a temporary measure until your mind is in balance & harmony through therapy sessions.

- A psychiatrist helps with the chemistry of the brain for longer term conditions.

I suppose it would come down to how long I've needed and will need such services.

I guess this article is inline with my own thoughts:

Psychologists vs Psychiatrists - What's the Difference?

If it were me, I may look into getting a 3rd opinion.

I would trust the one I felt better about. Knowing only that A was a psychologist and B a psychiatrist, I would tend to trust B more, because s/he's a medical doctor, and I'm thinking that probably counts for something.

In reality, I take a dim view of the (pseudo)science of psychology.

(Can a DO be a psychiatrist? Anyone know?)

Guest LiterateParakeet

- A psychologist helps us to question our paradigms and our mental state, if it can be controlled by our thoughts. Sometimes medication helps as a temporary measure until your mind is in balance & harmony through therapy sessions.

- A psychiatrist helps with the chemistry of the brain for longer term conditions.

If it were me, I may look into getting a 3rd opinion.

I agree with all of this I would--and do--see a psychologist. If I chose to take meds, I would also see a psychiatrist, but I would not want the psychiatrist to be my only "doctor." I have benefited greatly from therapy.

In your situation, I think a 3rd opinion would be a good idea. Trust the pristhood most of all. :)

In my experience I don't care for psychiatrists. The ones I met charged well over $100 for 2 min of their time and I did all the "diagnosing" of my son, all he did was write prescriptions. Though I have heard of ones that talk with their patients and have been known to spend hours with them so I guess had I gotten one like that then things might be different.

The counselors (not sure of specific degree so not going to use the term psychologist) I've worked with have been great and more help than anyone else so far.

All that said I would be more inclined to trust myself and how I felt and the specific individual over the title. Trust your instincts. If you need to get other opinions until you find one you feel right about.

Hidden

I worked for a year as an intake coordinator in psych. I don't trust either. Having said that I do trust people who are trustworthy. So if a trustworthy person happens to be either psychiatrist or psycholgoist then they will still be a trustworthy person regardless of their credentials.

Do you trust either of these doctors?

I worked for a year as an intake coordinator in psych. I don't trust either. Having said that I do trust people who are trustworthy. So if a trustworthy person happens to be either psychiatrist or psycholgoist then they will still be a trustworthy person regardless of their credentials.

Do you trust either of these doctors? (rhetorical question)

What you can trust is the Spirit. Rely on God.

Hidden

In my experience I don't care for psychiatrists. The ones I met charged well over $100 for 2 min of their time and I did all the "diagnosing" of my son, all he did was write prescriptions. Though I have heard of ones that talk with their patients and have been known to spend hours with them so I guess had I gotten one like that then things might be different.

The counselors (not sure of specific degree so not going to use the term psychologist) I've worked with have been great and more help than anyone else so far.

All that said I would be more inclined to trust myself and how I felt and the specific individual over the title. Trust your instincts. If you need to get other opinions until you find one you feel right about.

I guess I lucked out with my psychiatrist. I don't necessarily trust all psychiatrists (or psychologists for that matter). I think it depends on the individual.

I was really nervous to get back on meds but I knew I needed to. I had been praying about what to do forawhile, tried other things and I knew I needed to get back on meds.

I felt the spirit in the waiting room, during the appointment and after.

I think I answered my own question, ha. I trust the psychiatrist more. I did not feel the same with the psychologist.

Psychiatrist vs psychologist. They disagree. Psychologist diagnosed me with something else, something I have never been diagnosed with in the past. Psychiatrist disagrees. Who to trust...

I've worked both with psychiatrists and psychologists. They each have their field of study.

However, if I understand correctly, from a couple of the psychologists I have worked with, psychologists, by law, are not allowed to prescribe medicines. That's the psychiatrists role.

Have you thought of allowing your psychologist/psychiatrist confer with each other to be able to come to an agreement as to what is happening? This might be worthwhile to get this hashed out.

Best of wishes

From An Educational Perspective:

Psychiatrist: Is a Medical Doctor that elects to practice is the mental health arena.

In theory these professionals have additional education and training in Psychology; however, not all states require such. It is a good idea to look at any professinal certifications & other ititials after his name & check to see what the accredidation organizations require before the Doc can claim those initials.

Psychologist: Someone who is actually trained in Psychology & Mental Health with only minimal training in the medical world.

Again, some of these indivduals might have additional education I the medical end of their professional; however, it is very rarely required of them.

Generally a Psychologist does not have Prescriptive Authority (licensing), so he/she won't be prescribing meds, where as a Psychiatrist is a Medical Doctor & can/does have prescriptive authority/licensing.

One possible reason for some differences or sudden changes in a diagnosis:

Thanks to the current & past environment Health Insurance World where "insurance companies are king", many Psychiatrists will give a diagnosis that is not necessarily 100% accurate ... the reason being is that then they can treat you with a medication that works but is not "approved" to treat the specific diagnosis you may have.

When it comes to Psych Meds, many insurance companies are tightening down & require "preauthorizations" before they will cover the meds .... if the specific diagnosis does not match an "approved use" of the med the the insurer frequently denies coverage.

Edited by Sharky
changed "Some" to "Someone"

Do you have someone close to you that may already know your medical history to soundboard off of? What do they think of the different diagnosis? Sometimes we can't see things in ourselves and we need that outside look to guide us. I know sometimes my husband or I have rejected the idea of something only to have the other thinking "that explains everything!". Find someone that knows you, you can trust and see what they think of the details of all of this. Might shed some light on the situation for you.

If the difference in diagnosis is really concerning you, take the time to discuss both diagnosises with the psychologist & then with the psychiatrist &/or with any social worker or counselor you may be seeing.

Psych Diagnosis are based on specified criteria that are outlined in the DSM (DSM IV is the most current on our bookshelf, but I belive there is a V now).

Sometimes one professional might in the testing or the intake interview or medical history see something that they interpret differently then the other professional does.

Sometimes a "blip" pops up that a diagnosis &/or treatment may be based on when in fact that it is all it was, a "blip" resulting in an inaccurate or perhaps more accurate diagnosis.

Sometimes it is as simple as different interpretations of the exact same thing ..... or more emphasis place on 1 of the symptoms or 1 diagnostic criterias over all the others, giving a different diagnosis.

The psychologist & psychiatrist &/or any other mental health professional you may be seeing should be able to help you understand the diagnostic criteria for each diagnosis & what or how they arrived to that diagnosis ... as well as how diagnosis #1 correlates or relates to diagnosis #2, what the differences or simularities may be.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

In reality, I take a dim view of the (pseudo)science of psychology.

If I had not gone through what I have for over a decade, I would probably take the same view. There is a stigma around mental health. That stigma made me hesitant to get help again when I really needed it.

I have told myself I did not need help, that what I had was not major and did not need to stay on my medicine. Ihad a turning point because things got more serious (after no therapy, getting off my meds on my own, and no mental health professionals for over a year, trying natural methods).

I felt like I really needed to get help again. I was praying about what to do. I was terrified to go the psychiatrist. I finally went. I felt the spirit very strong in the waiting room, during the appointment and after. I mentioned my history/ previous diagnosis. The psychiatrist wanted to do psychological testing. The diagnosis concurred with my previous 2 diagnosis exactly.

I also felt like I should do therapy. I decided to see a psychologist. After a couple of sessions, the one diagnosis was in agreement but the other diagnosis was in disagreement. So it left me worried and confused. I personally feel better about the psychiatrists diagnosis. It is the same as my previous diagnosis from many years ago from two other psyhciatrists, a regular MD in the past.

That is not to say I trust all psychiatrists and psychologists. I know there are some bad ones out there. I think it depends on the individual. I am thankful I prayed about what to do and felt the spirit's confirmation in the waiting room. I know I am seeing a good psychiatrist.

Not too long after getting help again, life took a huge turn for the better. Night and day difference. Honestly, if I had not gotten help, I might not still be alive today.

Edited by Star_

If I had not gone through what I have for over a decade, I would probably take the same view. There is a stigma around mental health. That stigma made me hesitant to get help again when I really needed it.

My problem with psychology is not the stigma of mental illness. My problem with psychology is that, as far as I can tell, it is science only in the sense that Creationism and astrology are sciences.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

My problem with psychology is not the stigma of mental illness. My problem with psychology is that, as far as I can tell, it is science only in the sense that Creationism and astrology are sciences.

Ah, yes. I also know some argue psychology is a form of philosophy. I can understand questioning if it's science or not.

Do you consider quantum physics or organic chemistry a science? Neither seem to follow much of any 'rules'.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors with advanced training in psychiatry. Between the undergrad, medical school and residency, it takes 12 years to become one.

The difference for me being on and off medicine is huge. I have been on and off medicine a few times in my life. I have also been on medicine for 6+ years straight. In my own experience, taking medicine brings positive results. That seems like science to me. Then again, what I have is serious enough to warrant taking medicine.

I know I have been helped tremendously. I know it can help others too. Of course, having well informed, kind and dedicated mental health professionals is a must.

Edited by Star_

Do you consider quantum physics or organic chemistry a science? Neither seem to follow much of any 'rules'.

Yes, I consider each to be a science. And you are mistaken; I have experience with each field of study, and I can assure you that each follows its own laws and "rules".

The difference for me being on and off medicine is huge. I have been on and off medicine a few times in my life. I have also been on medicine for 6+ years straight.

You seem to think I was saying that psychologists are useless. I did not say nor suggest that.

In my own experience, taking medicine brings positive results. That seems like science to me.

Strictly speaking, it is not. Religion is of immense help to me, but I would never suggest that means that religion is science. A field is not defined as "science" based on its utility.