Conceal-carry permit frenzy

NeuroTypical

. When I was doing the paper work two pretty women were doing paperwork to get some revolvers. I thought "wow", pretty women getting guns? Crazy!

Well that's a pretty sexist comment.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I think Dravin and I went to that gun store (the description sounds like the one we visited). We will not buy a gun from that store. We asked to look at a particular gun and the guy behind the counter took it out, checked to make sure it was unloaded, then proceeded to point it at a coworker and pull the trigger. Idiot. If the dude behind the counter can't handle a gun properly, then I'm not going to give them my business.

We live aprox. 45 minutes from any law enforcement. We plan on getting our hand gun permits. We live in the mountains we love to target practice and would rather be safe than sorry. Our kids are all educated on guns. We probably will buy more guns as we have the xtra funds to do so. I would not shop at a store that had an employee act so irresponsible.

I have a quick gun question and I thought I'd just post it here since this is such a hoppin thread. It's actually more of a validation thing than a question...

My four year old son is obsessed with guns. I don't know why. I think maybe from talking to other boys at school and daycare. He's always talking about shooting bad guys and deer. It makes me a little nervous. I try to talk to him and tell him that real guns are dangerous and I've shown him pictures of real guns to compare to his toys to see the difference. He's only four though so I'm not sure if he totally gets it.

Anyway, my in laws were watching him last night while we had a date night. When we went to pick him up, he ran out with a little black gun in his hand yelling "bang bang". I didn't think anything of it but my husband must have recognized the gun because he jumped up and grabbed it from him then started yelling at his parents asking why they were letting him play with it. Apparently it was an old "real" pellet gun that his parents have had for years. It doesn't work and his parents gave it to him and told him it was a toy. It's a heavy black gun. It turned into a pretty heated argument between my husband and his parents. They didn't see the harm in letting him play with it but my husband said that he didn't want him playing with a real gun even if it was broken because he might get confused on what's a toy and what's real. Of course our son is screaming and crying the whole time and his grandparents are saying "I know, baby. Your daddy took your toy away."

I mostly stayed out of it but I do 100% agree with my husband. I was very proud of him for taking charge.

They said that we were overreacting and that he should never be close enough to a real, working gun to ever be confused. My little brothers once found a loaded gun in a ditch on their way to school. A bunch of boys were gathered around it daring each other to pick it up. My brothers, who were only in 4th and 2nd grade, took charge. The older one stood over the gun while the younger one ran to school for help. We were so proud of them (and shaken up). They ended up both getting a small reward from the police dept.

Are we right about the broken gun though? My son is still holding a grudge this morning.

Sounds like this isn't an issue about guns, it's more of an issue of your husband's parents not respecting his authority as a parent. I'd support your husband in his efforts to reach an agreement with his parents. If my wife felt passionately about something, and my parents took the stand of "yeah, whatever - when the kid is over here, we're doing it our way", well, we wouldn't be going over to my parents that often.

I don't think there's a best answer about how to handle guns with kids. I started carrying again when my kids were around 3 and 5. We've got a deal - they can go see and play with our guns whenever they want - just as long as Mom or I are there. All they have to do is ask - we'll go open up the gun safe and get one out and play with it. Mom or dad will make sure it's unloaded and safe, and we'll hand it over. They could hold it and learn about it. It comes with rules - you never point it at anything you don't want to shoot. It's not a toy, it's a tool. Wanna go shooting? Ok - let's plan a trip to the range. 15 minutes of talking and practicing safe handling comes first.

Both my girls asked their questions and were content. Sounds like your boy is a bit different - impulse control not that great, the importance just isn't sinking in yet. Sounds like your husband's preferred way of dealing with it might be the right one - just keep the kid away from them until he's older.

To me, it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. He is your son and you and your husband have decided what is best for him regarding guns. If his parents can't respect that by not giving him guns, then you/your husband need to decide what you feel comfortable with regarding his parents. Do they only have interactions with your son if you two are there? No interaction at all? Only at your house? You both decide what you feel comfortable with and then your husband informs his parents of your united decision (since it's his parents, he deals with them.).

That's my way of thinking.

Thanks. Yeah, there's never been much respect there. I think it comes from the fact that my husband's older sister is a deadbeat and his parents practically raised her daughter. They go a bit to far with their "advice". It's actually gotten much better though in the last couple years.

I understand exposing your children to guns and teaching them gun safety while they're young. Our main issue was the fact that they gave him a real gun and told him it was a toy and ok to play with. It seems like it would be confusing to him if he ever did come across a real gun.

Btw, beefche, every time my 2 year old sees your avatar, she says "aww puppy kissing me!"

Guest gopecon

I think your husband was absolutely right to be upset. A pellet gun may not be a "firearm", but many of them are powerful enough to kill with the right shot at close range. They are absolutely not toys. I'm not against toy guns, but kids should be able to tell the difference.

• 4 weeks later...

Have any of you tried to by ammunition recently? I bought myself a 9mm Sig Sauer handgun. It's my first semi-automatic. I found a few boxes of ammo in February and since then all the stores are out and all the online sites are out too. I also have a single action cowboy revolver that shoots 44-40 Winchester. I bought a box of fifty cartridges in January for around $35.00 online. Now all the online sites are either out or have raised their prices sky high.

Looks like a lot of gun crazy people are pushing for a civil war or something. It's starting to get scary. This just might be another sign of the middle class cracking.

Don't worry HG. This happened four years ago, back before you were paying attention. They tell me it happened a decade or so before that too, before I was paying attention.

Bullet manufacturers are hesitant to invest in expanding production capability, because they figure demand would go back down like it always does after something like this.

Or maybe we're all gearing up to fight da man. If I hear about the balloon going up, I'll let you know.

Some of those gun people are preparing for a civil war. Yeah, I'm getting my guns in good working order but it's not to protect myself from the regular criminals. It's to protect myself from all those gun lovers out there who seem to be near the tipping point.

That's funny, I just read an article about that very thing.

BYRON - Don't let the peace and quiet fool you. When the federal invasion comes, Bruce Simmons predicts, this tiny hamlet on the far edge of nowhere will be locked, loaded and ready for Armageddon.

"It could happen tomorrow," Simmons warned Friday, his .40-caliber pistol (complete with 15-round magazine) at the ready. "You say the little town of Byron doesn't have a problem in the world? Well, if they come after my guns, there's going to be a helluva problem."

I don't know about you, but I'm glad I didn't knock on this guy's door on my mission. That would be a dangerous situation.