Wedding dress undergarments?

velociraptor

Hi all!

I'm new here, so I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this question.

I'm getting married in May in the Salt Lake Temple (yipee!), and I've already purchased my temple dress and my wedding dress.

My question is regarding what to wear under my wedding dress. It's a fit and flare, so I'd like to get a bit of coverage to avoid the bit of pooch in the tummy area, but I don't want to be horribly uncomfortable all day. Obviously anything too tight over garments will be very irritating.

To be clear, I'm not wearing my wedding dress in the temple, so this is for the rest of the (long) day. If you had this conundrum when you got married, how did you solve it? Any advice for comfort on the day of?

I assume you are talking about a girdle. Depends on the style, some can be worn comfortably (as comfortable as a girdle can be lol) over the garments. Others you may have to wear under due to how they are formed. I don't really see it as any bigger of an issue of if you wear the bra over or under. Personal decision.

Personally I would have had the dress fitted such that I didn't need a girdle, ugh so uncomfortable. lol

I wear my make me look like a hottie bra under my garments because otherwise it slides around and I makes me look like a dork instead of a hottie. My everyday bra I wear over my garments.

My Spanx I normally wear over my garments. It's more comfortable for me to wear it such.

Invest in a good corset.

Corsets generally

- need 'liners' between them & the skin

(So garments should actually help, booyah)

- are ADJUSTABLE, unlike bikeshort / catsuit style body shaping, so you can choose how tight/where

- are PRETTY!!!

There's no rule that says you have to be 'waist training' to wear a corset (in fact, a pal of mine makes a line of corsets specifically for women who've had c-sections, other abdominal surgeries, low hanging 'flaps' due to pregnancy or weight loss, etc.).

You do NOT have to tie yourself in so your ribs are crushed and you can't breathe. Instead, you buy your real size (instead of 2 sizes too small), and just lace up for custom body shaping / a smooth line.

I assume you are talking about a girdle. Depends on the style, some can be worn comfortably (as comfortable as a girdle can be lol) over the garments. Others you may have to wear under due to how they are formed. I don't really see it as any bigger of an issue of if you wear the bra over or under. Personal decision.

Personally I would have had the dress fitted such that I didn't need a girdle, ugh so uncomfortable. lol

Gwen Spanx aren't quite a girdle more just tight spandex. No "whale bone" so to speak.

If you are talking about when you attend the temple then yes you want your undergarments (bra, etc) to be white.

If I'm wearing a white dress (wedding dress) you would probably want white undergarments so as not to show through. However, if you have different clothes for the activities after the temple then I don't see where it matters what color you wear to the activities.

For those of you who wear Spanx over/under your garments, have you been able to find white Spanx? My letter from the temple specifically states to make sure that all undergarments are white (not sure how they'd know, but still...), and I'm only able to find Spanx in black, nude, and ivory colors.

Check online... I KNOW white ones exist.

Are Spanx undergarments expensive? What type of undergarment would I buy if I want to hold in my muffin top? Or is there such a garment that would help alleviate the muffin top? I feel so out of the loop.

They are all available. Amazing stuff for undergarments these days.

The muffin top can be taken care of that with tops. The ones that basically have the built in bra that extends to the hips with a forming fabric. However, harder to wear over garments, don't want that sliding up.

There are some bottoms that will extend up to just under the breast and that can work on a muffin top as well, easier to wear over the garments.

I was always counseled that garments should be right next to the skin, anything else (bra, girdle, hose, spanx, etc) should be overtop of your garments.

Is this wrong?

I was counseled the same when I received the Endowment in 1997. But I understand that now they're saying it doesn't matter which is against your skin, so long as you're wearing garments. Obviously it's not okay to wear them on the outside of your clothes. :D

For those of you who wear Spanx over/under your garments, have you been able to find white Spanx? My letter from the temple specifically states to make sure that all undergarments are white (not sure how they'd know, but still...), and I'm only able to find Spanx in black, nude, and ivory colors.

When I attend the temple, I wear my white bra. For everyday wear, though, my bra is beige--I couldn't find the style in white. I have no problem wearing colored bra/undergarments in a different color than white. But, I choose to wear white in the temple.

The counsel I was given in 2000 was that the wearing of the garment is between the person and the lord, not even the spouse can dictate how you wear them (it's a personal covenant). I was told that for many yrs it was taught that you should wear the garments next to the skin, bra over but that has changed. If you can stand before the lord and say in honesty that you feel you kept your covenant to always wear the garment then you are fine. A couple of reasons I was given to wear the bra under were for proper support for larger women, pregnant and nursing were to wear bra under (wrinkles can cause mastitis - ?sp). I was also told that some women needed to wear normal panties for proper hygiene; either menstruation or bladder control issues (personal choice for if your issue is best handled with panties over or under the garment).

For myself at the time I received this counsel I did not have large breasts and I attempted to wear the bra over (like my mom did). I had all kinds of issues with my bra staying in place due to sliding over the garment. After I got pregnant and started wearing the bra under I decided I would never go back. lol It was a horrible pain and not very lady like to be constantly fussing with my bra, not to mention embarrassing to be in public and raise my arms above my head and have my bra slide up over my breasts (there ain't no lady like fixing that). lol

My letter from the temple specifically states to make sure that all undergarments are white...

I did not know this. I only buy bras in two colors, white and black. I wear white bras under my lighter clothing and I wear black bras under my darker clothing, but I wear my bras over my garments. Why would it matter if my bra is black or white?

Am I the only one who didn't know this? :huh:

I did not know this. I only buy bras in two colors, white and black. I wear white bras under my lighter clothing and I wear black bras under my darker clothing, but I wear my bras over my garments. Why would it matter if my bra is black or white?

A black bra will likely show through the white temple dress. I'm pretty sure you can wear whatever color bra you wish to wear outside a temple ceremony.

I was counseled the same when I received the Endowment in 1997. But I understand that now they're saying it doesn't matter which is against your skin, so long as you're wearing garments. Obviously it's not okay to wear them on the outside of your clothes. :D

When I went through the temple last year, they just repeated that we needed to wear the garments once endowed. I knew about the 'under/over' controversy and was curious about what they'd say, but they didn't say anything except wear the garments, which I assumed was a way to avoid having to say anything about wearing them over or under.

I can't tell you guys how fascinating this conversation about holding in body parts has been.:lol: