Legal marijuana

annewandering

I strongly hesitate asking this question because I am not interested in justifications for marijuana use. Yet is has crossed my mind lately quite a lot mostly because I would like to have my response ready when asked..

If marijuana is legal, is it against church doctrine? It is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, in fact herbs are said to have their uses. So if it is legal is it permissible?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From For the Strength of Youth

Avoid any drink, drug, chemical, or dangerous practice that is used to produce a “high” or other artificial effect that may harm your body or mind. Some of these include marijuana, hard drugs, prescription or over-the-counter medications that are abused, and household chemicals. Use of these substances can lead to addiction and can destroy your mind and your body.

Guest gopecon

I think that illegal drugs have effectively been included in the WofW. I highly doubt that that would be amended to allow for newly legalized drugs that are addictive and dangerous. You are not going to have different standards in CO than in UT.

well colorado and washington legalized it i thought.

I don't think there is anything explicitly said about it, other than we are to avoid drugs that take away our use of agency. that's how i understand part of the spirit of the law for the word of wisdom. Also, drugs, even though america is notorious for using them (otc, prescription, recreational, etc.), to me are destructive in nature, they temporarilly change the chemical balance in our bodies. Some people need them, but the food we eat makes a huge difference in how the chemicals are produced. If you avoid genetically modified foods, and processed foods, and any food sensitivities whetherr it be gluten, soy , lactose, nut intolerances or whatever else, then you will notice a difference in your health where you have more energy, alertness increases, central nervous system health increases, thus ability for the body to fight germs and other stuff so you don't have the headaches that lead to pills or whatever else.

Also, there are other natural healing methods like chiropractic that helps realign your spine and thus nerves aren't pinched causing bladder control issues or pain, along with other thing that might be related to your issue.

I believe there are so many things that we can do to help our body without popping a pill or taking some other form of drug. My experience is judgment decreases, patience decreases, Godly attributes decrease. To me that sounds completely contrary to the point of this life.

I have so few drugs taken in my life that when I went to the dentist, they put me on nitrous and I nearly passed out in the chair. I noticed a difference in feeling the Spirit too. Before the apointment I felt the tingling sensations all throughout my head and my body when I would study and the Spirit would testify of the truth. However, after I only would feel the tingling on one side of my head. And it wasn't some light tingle. I was getting a very strong tingle but the left side of my head wasn't getting it.

Let me tell you I was pissed, I have never had nitrous since. It is not worth it to lose the ability to recognize the Spirit. I was lucky it was only for a period of time and it only on one side of my head at the time.

energy drinks are not mentioned either. Neither are

-illegal drugs

-prescription drug abuse

-huffing

I could go on, but I won't. There are a ton of things that are harmful to us that aren't mentioned in the WoW. The WoW was never intended as a complete list of do's and don'ts. My thinking is that the Lord has hoped we had moved beyond that kind of Mosaic need. Instead the WoW is "a principle with a promise."

We also have modern prophets who have spoken at length about several of these 'unlisted' items repeatedly during general conferences over the years. Marijuana has been discussed specifically more than once as a forbidden item.

In other words, it is the core principle of taking care of our bodies that is the heart of the WoW. As we understand that principle individually on a spiritual and physical basis, our obedience is required. We know that marijuana has a mind-altering effect, and as such has been put on the 'don't' side by modern prophets.

We shouldn't need a pharisaiacal list of each and every last item that we can/cannot take into our bodies. God gave us brains, and he fully expects us to use them.

Why not use 1 Corinthians 6:12?

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Hope I do not come across as blunt, but I was just erading the verse and this verse has a footnote for the Jospeh Smith translation that says something else. I'm a slow typer so I'll let everyone look it up. :)

Interesting question indeed. It's most certainly interesting that it's a schedule-I narcotic, even though it fits more with schedule-III. There has never actually been any evidence to show THC causes addiction or any serious damage to the body. There is some research that shows smoking pot can cause cancer under specific circumstances; however, many legal narcotics such at Naproxen (Aleve), Ibuprofen, and Aspirin can cause serious digestive issues, even without being abused. Acetaphetamine causes serious liver damage. Hydrocodone, Oxycontin and similar narcotics are HIGHLY HIGHLY addictive. Why are they legal to use for medical purposes but not THC concentrate? I'm not saying recreational use should be allowed under WoW, but legit medicinal use would seem to better qualify under WoW than say Vicodin or Lortabs, which are okay to use under the WoW...

My short answer (living in WA, its come up).

Alcohol, tobacco, & Rx drugs are all legal, too.

But without an Rx... Mood & mind altering chemicals are a nonstarter.

Its all about agency, right?

As in maintaining your own, both in the moment and in avoiding addictions.

Some examples

LSD is not addictive.

Still trashes your ability to exercise your agency.

Percocet is highly addictive.

Can't exercise your agency (or heal) when you're writhing in pain.

Meds used to treat neural disorders (from ADHD to depression to schizophrenia to epilepsy) make a person WITHOUT those disorders high/ psychotic / etc. but for people WITH those disorders, it brings their neurochemistry into a normalized state.

When THC/marijuana is Rx'd for medical reasons (chemo, glaucoma, etc.), Im 100% behind its use, just as Im 100% behind poppies (opiates).

When THC/marijuana is Rx'd for medical reasons (chemo, glaucoma, etc.), Im 100% behind its use

I have thought about that. If "medical' marijuana can help chemo patients, why not? They suffer tremendously from the side effects of chemo! Then again, would they become addicted?

Edited by Star_

From For the Strength of YouthAvoid any drink, drug, chemical, or dangerous practice that is used to produce a “high” or other artificial effect that may harm your body or mind. Some of these include marijuana, hard drugs, prescription or over-the-counter medications that are abused, and household chemicals. Use of these substances can lead to addiction and can destroy your mind and your body.

So I wonder if marijuana happens to become legal, it will be church okay to use as long as you don't get high off of it. As this states, there are many legal and church approved things you can get high off of.

Edited by Star_

When THC/marijuana is Rx'd for medical reasons (chemo, glaucoma, etc.), Im 100% behind its use

I have thought about that. If marijuana can help chemo patients, why not? They suffer tremendously from the side effects of chemo! Then again, would they become addicted?

Whether or not marijuana is addictive is a scientific debate...HOWEVER...

Cancer patients ALL get addicted to their drugs. Its an incrediably painful thing (and not something often talked about outside of healthcare and oncology), but patients usually have to be weaned off AT LEAST once during their treatments (and sometimes 2-3 times), because we need to get their tolerance down before continuing treatment (ideally), or have to wean them mid-treatment (so, unbelievably hard).

The addiction happens. Period. The doses needed to make treatment tolerable (not pain free, just tolerable)are roughly 5x-20x what a person is Rx'd by their doctor following surgery, or dentist, etc.

Does the person become 'an addict' in the 12 step sense? (Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually). Not usually. Its usually "just" the physical Addiction. Which is bad enough on its own.

But its considered worth it to live.

I strongly hesitate asking this question because I am not interested in justifications for marijuana use. Yet is has crossed my mind lately quite a lot mostly because I would like to have my response ready when asked..

If marijuana is legal, is it against church doctrine? It is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, in fact herbs are said to have their uses. So if it is legal is it permissible?

if legally used properly as medicine, like medicine, for medicinal purposes it should be fine unless a prophet has said to absolutely not to partake of it. (especially if there is no other alternative as effective).

The problem I see is that a lot of the legality is either for recreational use, or quasi medicinal use (seems to be more of a cover to use it more than what is needful or proper).

if legally used properly as medicine, like medicine, for medicinal purposes it should be fine unless a prophet has said to absolutely not to partake of it. (especially if there is no other alternative as effective).

The problem I see is that a lot of the legality is either for recreational use, or quasi medicinal use (seems to be more of a cover to use it more than what is needful or proper).

I do have a cousin here in Idaho that uses it for her cancer pain. Anything that helps her is good as far as I am concerned. She is not a member of the church however so for her there is no question of doctrine. I know there are a lot of people who do use for similar reasons honestly.

Whatever people decide, one thing I wish they'd keep in mind, is that unless your weed is locally grown, or at least grown in the U.S., there's a chance that every toke you take supports murderous organizations of kidnapping child sex slavers.

No really - you're off enjoying your legal marijuana, and you just lined the pockets of some colombian group that is also busy smuggling 9 year old girls across borders into a life of sex and slavery.

Yeah, when it gets put that way, that specific scripture or prophetic statement isn't quite as necessary, right?

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Nothing is OK that defiles the body and makes you lose control.

Yes but abusing prescription medications or smelling cleaning supplies can defile the body and make you lose control. I don't think removing all cleaning supplies from the house or not taking any medication (even an aspirin) is necessary.

Edited by Star_

Yes but abusing prescription medications or smelling cleaning supplies can defile the body and make you lose control. I don't think removing all cleaning supplies from the house or not taking any medication (even an aspirin) is necessary.

And neither would growing marijuana if you were only using it to make rope or hemp clothing.

well colorado and washington legalized it i thought.

I don't think there is anything explicitly said about it, other than we are to avoid drugs that take away our use of agency. that's how i understand part of the spirit of the law for the word of wisdom. Also, drugs, even though america is notorious for using them (otc, prescription, recreational, etc.), to me are destructive in nature, they temporarilly change the chemical balance in our bodies. Some people need them, but the food we eat makes a huge difference in how the chemicals are produced. If you avoid genetically modified foods, and processed foods, and any food sensitivities whetherr it be gluten, soy , lactose, nut intolerances or whatever else, then you will notice a difference in your health where you have more energy, alertness increases, central nervous system health increases, thus ability for the body to fight germs and other stuff so you don't have the headaches that lead to pills or whatever else.

Also, there are other natural healing methods like chiropractic that helps realign your spine and thus nerves aren't pinched causing bladder control issues or pain, along with other thing that might be related to your issue.

I believe there are so many things that we can do to help our body without popping a pill or taking some other form of drug. My experience is judgment decreases, patience decreases, Godly attributes decrease. To me that sounds completely contrary to the point of this life.

I have so few drugs taken in my life that when I went to the dentist, they put me on nitrous and I nearly passed out in the chair. I noticed a difference in feeling the Spirit too. Before the apointment I felt the tingling sensations all throughout my head and my body when I would study and the Spirit would testify of the truth. However, after I only would feel the tingling on one side of my head. And it wasn't some light tingle. I was getting a very strong tingle but the left side of my head wasn't getting it.

Let me tell you I was pissed, I have never had nitrous since. It is not worth it to lose the ability to recognize the Spirit. I was lucky it was only for a period of time and it only on one side of my head at the time.

I voted against the legalization up here in Washington, but everything thought they could avoid getting in trouble. They were wrong.

Regardless I am personally against drugs, and I doubt the WoW would be modified at all in regards to drugs. And well it still violates federal law.

It's still a federal crime in WA and CO, but not a state crime. So only a federal prosecutor and/or federal law enforcer can do anything in those states about it.

It's probably unlikely that a federal marshal will be patrolling your residence in those states though.

I voted against the legalization up here in Washington, but everything thought they could avoid getting in trouble. They were wrong.

Regardless I am personally against drugs, and I doubt the WoW would be modified at all in regards to drugs. And well it still violates federal law.

If marijuana became legal though (big hypothetical IF I know), would would be the difference between getting high off of cleaning supplies or prescription drugs and getting high off of marijuana? Prescription drugs are still drugs and people can become addicted and get high off of them. Yet prescription drugs are not against the WoW if used correctly.

Edited by Star_
typo

Guest gopecon

I'm speculating here, but I think that someone who was abusing prescription painkillers or getting high off of cleaning supplies would be in clear violation of the spirit (if not the modern letter) of the WofW and would not be eligible for a temple recommend if the bishop was aware of what they were doing.