Legal marijuana

annewandering

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have asked about this as well. I was told by the priesthood president in my ward that IF it's prescribed by a doctor (in the case of medical marijuana) it is treated just like that, as medicine in the eyes of the church right now.

However, I personally still think it's not a good thing.

winterstar- Why do you still think it's not a good thing? By the way, I like your lds.net name. It's more creative than mine. :)

winterstar- Why do you still think it's not a good thing? By the way, I like your lds.net name. It's more creative than mine. :)

Well, in the case of my husband he would still be pulling smoke into his lungs.

And lungs are important to me. For one thing, my grandmother died of lung cancer. And secondly, I have two nieces with cystic fibrosis. And third... marijuana smells really bad to me, so he's going to stink. (It's one thing that makes holidays with his family hard, well besides the language. They all vanish and it gets really bad smelling. Add in, they smoke tobacco too.)

As for him using it for pain relief, that's between him and the Lord. I've had a long journey over the years coming to accept that. I voted to legalize medical marijuana in my state. (I think it should be totally legal, people have the right to choose and it bugs me they have lists of users. I think lists of growers and distributors is good enough at this point.)

PS. I like your username too. I love stars.

Edited by winterstar
adding

However, I personally still think it's not a good thing.

So when I take Nyquil (alcohol 10% plus dextromethorphan, a substance that is used recreationally) for a flu to help me sleep, do you feel I am also violating the WoW?

So when I take Nyquil (alcohol 10% plus dextromethorphan, a substance that is used recreationally) for a flu to help me sleep, do you feel I am also violating the WoW?

I would say YES!!! if you think it is the only solution for sleep and therefore that substance combination becomes a permanent ritual dependency in order to sleep for the rest of your life.

The Traveler

I would say YES!!! if you think it is the only solution for sleep and therefore that substance combination becomes a permanent ritual dependency in order to sleep for the rest of your life.

The Traveler

The answer is no. I take it sometimes when I get the flu (about every other year I'll get it, sometimes less) and need to be able to sleep. I don't use it ritually on a regular basis in any way.

Wow this is an interesting thread..... I am on pain management and I am on this to have a quality of life. I have to be treated sometimes like a criminal example: having my pills counted, drug testing, etc. I have to endure this to get my meds because of all the abuse of pain meds. I have been asked why I don't just get a Medical Marijuana card and take care of my pain that way. Well I would loose my regular dr and my meds. Medical Marijuana dosen't just have to be smoked I know a dear older lady who cooks and capsules it or uses it in tea. There is also a salve that really works for joint pain. I am not taking my legal meds to get high I just want to beable to function, move and be somewhat normal. I have been on pain meds for over 10 years. I have been judged by many people members or not because of it. If I thought Marijuana would help me I would get my medical marijuana card and use it . At this time, teenagers in the house and active in school I do not feel it sets any kind of good example. There are alot of people who have their Medical Marijuana cards who are legitimate need for some pain relief , they do not want to use opiates. I have seen the good that is done. It seems that some here are of the mind any drug use is against the WOW but I think we should pray more and judge less. I think what a person needs to have a good quality of life is ok and it is a personal choice and is anything but black and white. I honestly hate being on such strong meds because of the judgements of folks. But for me I choose being able to move and do daily tasks over withering in pain daily. I still have pain it is never totally gone but I can function and in the end if I use Marijuana to do that I will. Right now I am on the strongest Morphine time released and Hydrocodone . I can move and function with these drugs. I do not abuse them. I know there is alot of that going on. I pray for us all to love each other more , judge less and pray more that is what I try to do . well rambled on enough. Namaste :] I do yoga for pain to :]

Here's an example of how legal marijuana is used.

My friend/Landlord. ( I rent a room.) Has been smoking pot since he was 14. He is 60 now He has Cancer, so now he can legally buy pot in California.

He is always having a couple of his buddies over to smoke a few joints or bowls. When he runs out, he just calls up and has more delivered. No question about how he ran out so fast.

Had he got a prescription for, let's say, Codeine #4 He would be given a specific amount to last for a specific amount of time Like a months worth. If he goes sharing them with his friends, he is going to run out before the month is up He would have to wait for the month to end before he could get a refill

Legal Marijuana should be regulated like that. Let's say you're prescribed a joint a day, and you are given a 30 day supply. If you run out before the end of the month you wait.

I don't know if this is true or not,but I heard that if enough states legalize medicinal Marijuana, the Government has to legalize it too

Edited by circusboy01

He is always having a couple of his buddies over to smoke a few joints or bowls.

And of course his friends also need it for medicinal purposes right?

I don't know if this is true or not,but I heard that if enough states legalize medicinal Marijuana, the Government has to legalize it too

I don't think there is any legal requirement that if X number of states legalize medical marijuana that the Federal government has to do so as well, unless you get a critical number of states to allow, and they pursue, a constitutional amendment over the issue. However with each state that legalizes it you are seeing a change in the political landscape.

Let's say you're prescribed a joint a day, and you are given a 30 day supply. If you run out before the end of the month you wait.

Again, I'd like to point out that the source of that joint a day is an important consideration.

Who grew your buddy's joints over the decades? Was it the local businessman, the guy with ties to Colombia, or one of the transnational criminal organizations? Has the cash your buddy's been pouring into organizations that kidnap children and sell them into sex slavery? Has it even crossed his mind once over the decades to wonder?

Again, I'd like to point out that the source of that joint a day is an important consideration.

Who grew your buddy's joints over the decades? Was it the local businessman, the guy with ties to Colombia, or one of the transnational criminal organizations? Has the cash your buddy's been pouring into organizations that kidnap children and sell them into sex slavery? Has it even crossed his mind once over the decades to wonder?

That is an excellent point that is tragically ignored. Sadly, the illegal drug market in the United States is practically a global gold mine.

Drug Trafficking in the United States

I strongly hesitate asking this question because I am not interested in justifications for marijuana use. Yet is has crossed my mind lately quite a lot mostly because I would like to have my response ready when asked..

If marijuana is legal, is it against church doctrine? It is not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom, in fact herbs are said to have their uses. So if it is legal is it permissible?

Prescription drugs are legal, but can be abused. Marijuana, if it becomes legal should be viewed in the same light.:eek:

My doctor asks me on almost every visit if I want a prescription for medical marijuana. And every time I tell him no. To me, smoking of any kind is against WoW. He also tells me I should be drinking a shot of whiskey every night for my heart condition. Again something I refuse to do.

My doctor asks me on almost every visit if I want a prescription for medical marijuana. And every time I tell him no. To me, smoking of any kind is against WoW. He also tells me I should be drinking a shot of whiskey every night for my heart condition. Again something I refuse to do.

A family friends son is serving in the Denver mission and this is an excerpt from one of his emails:

Last thing, with the new law making pot legal, it has become very interesting teaching the Word of Wisdom. We had to talk to prez about how to deal with this and he said that the churches stance is “It must be prescribed by a doctor, it has to be in pill or brownie form. You can imagine my giggle when he said marijuana brownies are in harmony of the Word of Wisdom, a couple of the Elders got a real laugh out of that. Does anyone have a marijuana brownie recipe? Ha, Just kidding!

There appears to be a difference in the WOW and present day church standards. Recommend questions do not stick to just the WOW, it includes asking about illegal drug use. The actual WOW allows beer and wine, strong drink was considered to be whisky and the like. The church was the largest producer and consumer of alcohol in the West in the 1800's, early 1900's, ZCMI sold alcohol well into the early 1980's there in Salt Lake. The only reason alcohol and drugs became a bigger part of the WOW is because the nephew of a prophet was killed because of alcohol. That is when things changed from a WOW to a commandment. The flip side for the WOW is eating meat "only in times of famine", I have yet to go to one church sponsored dinner that doesn't serve meat. (selective use of the revelation). Most do not know the truth behind the WOW "revelation" and the history involved at that time as well as where the WOW was copied from (not from God), almost word for word. (church hides this info). With that said I do agree with the basic principles of the WOW.

Church policy will be that smoking marijuana will be considered against the WOW. Taking medical marijuana via pills will be allowed.

There appears to be a difference in the WOW and present day church standards. Recommend questions do not stick to just the WOW, it includes asking about illegal drug use. The actual WOW allows beer and wine, strong drink was considered to be whisky and the like. The church was the largest producer and consumer of alcohol in the West in the 1800's, early 1900's, ZCMI sold alcohol well into the early 1980's there in Salt Lake. The only reason alcohol and drugs became a bigger part of the WOW is because the nephew of a prophet was killed because of alcohol.

Truth12:

I regret to inform you that someone has lied to you, rather egregiously. The text of the Word of Wisdom itself includes prohibits both "wine or strong drink". David Whitmer was excommunicated, in part for not observing the Word of Wisdom, in 1838. It is true that the degree to which the proscription on alcohol has been enforced, varied up until the 1920s or so. And yes, the Church produced wine in southern Utah into the 1890s or later--for use in sacrament meetings.

And I would ask you how you know "the only reason alcohol and drugs became a bigger part of the WOW". Do you have some special connection into Joseph F. Smith's mind? Have you received some revelation on behalf of the Church stating affirmatively that Smith and his successors have led the Church astray since the early 20th century? Where is your authority to define, for the rest of the Church, when its leaders have acted in harmony with the mind and will of the Lord versus when they have failed to do so?

Most do not know the truth behind the WOW "revelation" and the history involved at that time as well as where the WOW was copied from (not from God), almost word for word. (church hides this info).

If the church hides this it didnt do a very good job of it. I learned about how it came about and became commandment in seminary.

Truth12:

I regret to inform you that someone has lied to you, rather egregiously. The text of the Word of Wisdom itself includes prohibits both "wine or strong drink". David Whitmer was excommunicated, in part for not observing the Word of Wisdom, in 1838. It is true that the degree to which the proscription on alcohol has been enforced, varied up until the 1920s or so. And yes, the Church produced wine in southern Utah into the 1890s or later--for use in sacrament meetings.

I don't think that interpretation was as widely accepted as you might think.

The Saints differed over how rigorously to apply the "Word of Wisdom." Some were inclined to make exact compliance a requirement of membership. Others were more relaxed. Joseph drank tea and a glass of wine from time to time. It was left to a later generation of Saints to turn the "principle with a promise" into a measuring rod of obedience. (Rough Stone Rolling, 212)

Also, see Word of Wisdom/History and implementation - FAIRMormon for a well documented discussion.

If the church hides this it didnt do a very good job of it. I learned about how it came about and became commandment in seminary.

This proves that the Church is not merely duplicitous in trying to hide stuff, it's incompetent.