Anyone recently been to Beijing or Bangkok

Bini

Last October we had plans to travel overseas but they got postponed. Now that our schedule allows it, we're planning to vacation for two weeks, and we can't decide between Beijing or Bangkok. We will be spending the majority of our trip in Hong Kong, and have set aside four to five days for either Beijing or Bangkok. My husband has seen neither, and I have seen both, but not in the last decade.

Any biases over one destination to the other? I'm leaning towards Thailand. He's leaning towards China.

Check the pollution report. Wasn't it Beijing that recently had such pollution that they had to close down alot of the businesses and such?

Oh I thought that was Salt Lake City with our inversion. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

We have our dates and bookings done! We chose Thailand over China this go around. I just HEART Thai food, especially their spicy pepper rice, YUM. We have planned the Rose Gardens, Siam Niramit, and of course their late night street market (I'll feel like I'm back home in the Philippines!). We are spending 4 days there and the rest in Hong Kong.

• 4 weeks later...

We have our dates and bookings done! We chose Thailand over China this go around. I just HEART Thai food, especially their spicy pepper rice, YUM. We have planned the Rose Gardens, Siam Niramit, and of course their late night street market (I'll feel like I'm back home in the Philippines!). We are spending 4 days there and the rest in Hong Kong.

Excellent!! I served my mission there. Best place in the world. I was mostly up country, so I didn't see much in Bangkok, but there is a crocodile farm(if I remmeber right) and snake farm where you can eat snake and drink blood and see other stuff. I went to the rose gardens, well worth it!

Also, Bangok is HUGE. If you get lucky with traffic you can get across(NW to SE) in a little over an hour. But that is taking a toll road. So once you get off then the traffic is bad. There was one part that me and my companion we drove to one of the elders houses and it takes about 15 minutes if you hit the lights and traffic isn't bad. It took us two hours there, two hours back. So traffic can be horrendous, I'd go somewhere and plan on staying in that general area if you can.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. And buy as much food as you can from off the streets. It is AMAZING!! Everything is. It is a special place!

Excellent!! I served my mission there. Best place in the world. I was mostly up country, so I didn't see much in Bangkok, but there is a crocodile farm(if I remmeber right) and snake farm where you can eat snake and drink blood and see other stuff. I went to the rose gardens, well worth it!

Also, Bangok is HUGE. If you get lucky with traffic you can get across(NW to SE) in a little over an hour. But that is taking a toll road. So once you get off then the traffic is bad. There was one part that me and my companion we drove to one of the elders houses and it takes about 15 minutes if you hit the lights and traffic isn't bad. It took us two hours there, two hours back. So traffic can be horrendous, I'd go somewhere and plan on staying in that general area if you can.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. And buy as much food as you can from off the streets. It is AMAZING!! Everything is. It is a special place!

We are excited. And yes, even though visitors are warned about eating food from the streets, the hawkers really do have the most authentic dishes to serve! Since moving to the US, I think my awareness to cross-contamination has gone overboard, and I'm suspicious of every little detail while dining out at a restaurant. It drives my family nuts! The funny thing is, I don't recall being so paranoid when I lived overseas, and would happily eat from the hawker carts and stalls with friends. At any rate, we certainly will be enjoying the fantastic food and the people there.

We are excited. And yes, even though visitors are warned about eating food from the streets, the hawkers really do have the most authentic dishes to serve! Since moving to the US, I think my awareness to cross-contamination has gone overboard, and I'm suspicious of every little detail while dining out at a restaurant. It drives my family nuts! The funny thing is, I don't recall being so paranoid when I lived overseas, and would happily eat from the hawker carts and stalls with friends. At any rate, we certainly will be enjoying the fantastic food and the people there.

There are a couple things I recommend, get Roti's they aer like an indian treat that in Thailand they put sweetened condensed milk and sugar on it, and then they will somwtimes put bana, choclate or egg. If you are really lucky, some have blueberry, strawberry and other fruity flavors.

There are things called namban's, essentially smoothies. Most refreshing in that heat. They have all sorts of different flavors.

There are also fruit stands, so depending on what's in season you can get some of the best fruit in the world. America PALES in comparison. Get dragon fruit, papaya, if you can brave it Turian, Jackfruit, Gnaw(rambutan i think), Mangosteen, mango, farang(i cant remember what that is but it is a popular thing in brazil.) Basically I'd try any fruit there, They're all good except Turian and that one depends on who you ask.

Sticky Rice and barbequed pork. These come on skewers, and you get a bag of sticky rice. The marinade is amazing!! A sweet mixture that just keeps you wanting more.

And don't forget the bugs. Crickets aren't bad at all, just crunchy little things. Grasshoppers are a little bit different, but still have good flavor if you want to try them. Just remember to pull off the wings when you eat them.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

There is a dish, it's hard to find but it is the best dish I ever had. YomBlaaDukeFuu. It is a fish that is broiled and then when it becomes flaky, it is deepfried so it looks like breading crumbs. Then there is a tangy sweet and sour spicy sauce that you dip it in with sticky rice. The crumbs literally melt in your mouth!! And the flavor is perfect. It doesn't taste fishy so don't even worry about that. It is just gloriousness in your mouth!!

There are other dishes to try, but if you eat thai you generally can find the same ones here in america. In fact if you are in utah the best one that I've had in America is Thai Ruby. That is the most authentic in my opinion.