Nauvoo

Guest DeborahC

Guest DeborahC

Visiting Nauvoo is on my bucket list

I've always wanted to visit it and other LDS sites.

I have no time restraints but do have budget restraints.

Any suggestions as to itinerary?

Where do people stay? Booking.com does not list any hotels there.

Do I need a car?

I cannot take bus tours because of the perfume issue. Can I walk around and see everything?

Best time of year?

Suggestions?

I stayed at a hotel in Quincy. I would get a rental car, because visiting Quincy, Nauvoo and Carthage is something I believe is well worth it. Walking around Nauvoo is essential. I went in the summer, and I think that's the time to go.

The first time I went, I visited Carthage at the very day and time of the martyrdom. It was amazing.

HJ

When I visited I stayed in log cabins run by a company I think called Nauvoo Log Cabins - they were lovely :)

I would recommend spending at least a week there to give yourself time to see and do all the stuff in and around the area.

Some of the sites are owned and run by Community of Christ but they don't put say anything negative about the church and if you aren't used to the heat don't go in the summer - I was there mid sept and at 10pm the temp was still over 100f

I stay at a motel 8 in Fort Madison Iowa, which is about a 10 min drive from Nauvoo.

There are places to stay in Nauvoo, proper, but they are a little pricey (at least to me). I believe you can actually rent someplace in Nauvoo itself from the church. One of my friends did that with her big ol' family. You can call the visitors center to find out more.

You must visit Carthage which is about a 30 min drive from Nauvoo. It is a very spiritual visit. While in Nauvoo, you can walk all over to see the various homes and places to visit. The church, in the summer, has several things to do--wagon rides, musical on the Mississippi, in the visitor's center, and also in the cultural hall.

I highly, highly recommend that you see the sights that are owned by the Community of Christ. They offer tours which means you have to go to their video presentation on their church. They also ask for a donation (I don't think it's a fee for the tour, but a donation). They own the Mansion home, the Homestead, the cemeteries of JS, Emma, and Hyrum, and the site where the Red Brick Store was (they built a replica of it that sells items). I like it for 2 reasons: 1) I enjoy seeing the homes of JS and 2) I think it is interesting to see their church views from their standpoint (as compared to our church views).

Finally, be sure to get all the free stuff from LDS church owned sites in Nauvoo--a red brick, a prairie diamond, a cookie, a piece of rope, a slice of fresh bread. You can't go wrong with free stuff!

Summer time is the busier time. The weather is humid, and sometimes hot (this past summer was horrible). I enjoy going during the off season as you get more personalized tours and don't have to deal with the crowds.

I've seen them before.

I'm not a huge fan of amateur productions. These musical things are put on by missionaries (they are only missionaries for 3-4 months during the summer, usually from BYU and part of BYU Young Ambassasors or some other performing group). Very cheesy plots. They are performed well, but I'm not a fan of the storylines themselves.

But, for someone who has never gone before, if you can make it, then I do encourage one to see them. It's part of the whole experience.

BTW, if you do go, I recommend seeing the Women's Garden (next to the Visitor's Center) at night. It is so awesome to see these statues lit up at night with the quiet and beautiful night. Seriously georgeous.

Oh! And I forgot, in July, they have the City of Joseph pageant. It's kinda like Palmyra, but set in Nauvoo. I haven't been to it in ages, so I'm not sure now exactly what it is now. I know it is newish written (written about 6-7 yrs ago or so). That's usually around 7/24 of any year and you can bet it is crowded.

I would suggest more spring or fall. But there are other things to see during the summer. I am not a big fan of humility and it can get pretty humid there. (even end of May when I went once it was still pretty humid).

You do need a car. Most of it is just park at some area and see even 4-5 places, then move to a different area. I think there is some buggy (horse) ride that might drop you off at different places I'm not sure if that is free or not.

I would say 4-5 days. Even that is assuming you are going to spend a day at the temple. Two - Three days in Navuoo. You only really need a half of day at Carthage, but you can take your time.

I would suggest going to the Navuoo Cemetery (See video). I think its on the maps they give you, but it is a little hard to find and a little out of the way.

Our Singles ward went back in the day (2004). I was one of the video people. I found the video last year, and put it on Youtube if you want to see it.

(The video does show its date)

Dang, tubaloth, I forgot about the Temple! doh!

When you go inside the temple, ask one of the temple workers to show you some of the artifacts. There are some hanging in the hall where the offices are.

If you don't have a temple recommend, then begin RIGHT NOW to get one. Aside from all the obvious reasons, the Nauvoo Temple is one of the most beautiful temples. Dark mahogany wood with the white walls...gorgeous.

I warn you, though. If you go in the summer, be sure to call the temple ahead of time to reserve an endowment session. It can be very busy and they can't guarantee that you'll get to an endowment session. But, you can always do intiatories.

Take time to look at the Mississippi. There is a beautiful view from in front of the temple. It can also be sobering to think of the Saints crossing the river and leaving all they had built in Nauvoo.

We are close enough to come down and back in a day, so I can't speak to the hotels, but we did have a buffet lunch at the Hotel Nauvoo. The food was OK, but I thought the dining room was just too cute. There is a fake tree in the middle of the large room. I dunno, it was like eating with hobbits or something.

It's worth seeing how they made the Nauvoo bricks (and get yourself a brick souvenir). Going in the historic homes is also interesting.

Because our monthly ward temple trips go there, I like to go during the rest of the year and leave the summer to the tourists, though I did see the Pageant once. I don't know if I could take the place with throngs of tourists. I was glad that when I visited Joseph Smith's grave, that there weren't a ton of people behind me urging me to move on. Standing at the grave site, sans tourists, was such a deep experience for me. I can't imagine doing it with screaming kids, etc.

There is a place to stay, I am not sure of the price, called the Zion Mercantile. It is pretty much right across from the temple. My wife and I got married there, and it is the most beautiful temple imo! Like was said the view coming out looking over the mississippi is sobering and beautiful.

Definitly go to Carthage so I'd recommend a car. I'd plan on spending a couple days there so you get to see everything, and go through the temple.

• 2 weeks later...

You can view all of the places to stay within Nauvoo at Welcome to Beautiful Nauvoo, Illinois and while the humidity can be stifling at times, it is hardly ever 100 f in September at 10 pm. The website above also has a list of all of the events going on in Nauvoo - there are plenty of things to see and do at any time of the year.

A car rental would be very helpful as Carthage is approximately 30 minutes from Nauvoo. Quincy is 45 - 60 minutes (depending on where you are going in Quincy) and also has lovely sites to see.

Hope this is helpful!

You can view all of the places to stay within Nauvoo at Welcome to Beautiful Nauvoo, Illinois and while the humidity can be stifling at times, it is hardly ever 100 f in September at 10 pm. The website above also has a list of all of the events going on in Nauvoo - there are plenty of things to see and do at any time of the year.

A car rental would be very helpful as Carthage is approximately 30 minutes from Nauvoo. Quincy is 45 - 60 minutes (depending on where you are going in Quincy) and also has lovely sites to see.

Hope this is helpful!

What is your affiliation with this using nauvoo as username and providing link to website?

I visit Nauvoo 4-6 times a year. If you want to see the Pageant then you will need to go during the months of July or August. If not going to see the pageant its better to go during the off season. Hotels are cheaper in other areas around Nauvoo. You could stay in Keokuk Iowa or Fort Madison Iowa. There are carriage rides for tours and you will need to get tickets for these from the Visitors Center. Get a map of the sites and decide what you want to see. Always like the musicals, although once I have seen them I don't feel a need to see them a second time. Try to see the Pioneer Cemetary, if its raining or wet, don't go there. Most of all have fun and enjoy and feel the spirit of Nauvoo.