Called to Primary Presidency

IamMe

My one year anniversary of being active is coming up, and I've just received my very first ever calling.......... second counselor in the primary presidency.

I don't know what someone was thinking :huh:

I'm super excited but at the same time feel so inadequate for what I see as a HUGE responsibility.

I never went to primary, I joined the church in YW's. I'm terrified I'm going to fail miserably.

I feel like this is a place where I could have a lot of fun & really enjoy my calling. When my bishop was speaking to me about this, he said something that stuck out about how I was never given the opportunity to attend primary and this would allow me to experience the most basic of teaching the gospel.

What should I expect?

I'm going for my first meeting with the primary prez and the first counselor (also just called on Sunday) this week. I was told to read the church handbook 2 chapter 11 (which I've done) and was given a small booklet on what the lessons will focus on each month for this year (outline for sharing time).

We were also asked to have some names to submit for some teachers that need to be replaced. I did what I was asked... I prayed about it, when I was first asked I had thought of a name, but after praying about it only one name has come to mind (not who I originally thought of, TBH I know totally forget the first name...) I'm assuming that's my answer.

I hope I'm doing this right......

Remember..so many calling are given not to the one most qualified, but the one that could use the calling to strengthen themself in some way.

Primary President was my all time favorite calling I ever had. You will really enjoy working in the Primary Presidency.

After coming back to Church after 30 years of being away - I was called to the same position as you.

I was scared stiff. What if I taught incorrect doctrine? What if I was short and snarky with these precious little ones? What if? What if?

At my first meeting with my Presidency, I was given a copy of all the lesson books and the Sharing Time booklet. The secretary gave me a list of the lessons to be taught on which Sunday during the year.

For the rest of the month I was to observe, help with upset children, etc. We had 12 children in Primary. They ranged in age from 20 months to 7 years old. They were the children of the Primary President and two other families.

I read all of the lessons, the entire sharing time booklet and read all of the songs. I never went to Primary either. I was introduced to the church when I was 8, and primary was on Tuesday afternoons. No way could my Dad get me there.

I borrowed the cassette tapes of the Children's Hymn Book and wore out batteries in my tape player listening and learning the songs.

Had that calling for four years, until I remarried and moved out of state. I loved it. I fell in love with the children almost immediately. I learned so much from the lessons, from the children and from my Sisters in Primary Presidency & Teachers.

My VT taped all of the Gospel Doctrine & RS classes for me. So I was also learning there, but I actually learned more from Primary, AND I learned Correct Gospel Principles and Doctrine in Primary.

My HT/VT home visits were often discussions regarding the contradictions in GD and Primary teachings.

I also learned to let the little ones color while we taught Sharing Time. Actually we let them all color. They really do listen even if they aren't all eyes on you all the time. The older children love to read from the scriptures, so we encouraged them to do so in class.

When I moved out of state, I didn't miss my Branch members nearly as much as I missed the children. My heart was empty and heavy with the loss. The Primary President knew that would happen and for nearly a year she had them color letters to me on the first Sunday. And my first Christmas away from them, they sent me cards. It has been 9 years and I still have the letters and cards! I will never toss them out.

I wrote to each of them too - and to the Primary as a whole. I kept up with the Sharing Time lessons so my letters would blend with what they were learning.