Is it from God, Satan, or me?

Chrissy3818

Doubt comes from the latin root, diable, so does duality. If you don't know where it came from, the message was missing the messenger. When Jesus appeared to St. Paul on the road to Damascus it was an evident occurrence, and before he said anything else, he asked, "Who are you?" and got a direct answer.

Basing spirituality off emotionalism or maybes is a road to disaster.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt comes from the latin root, diable, so does duality. If you don't know where it came from, the message was missing the messenger. When Jesus appeared to St. Paul on the road to Damascus it was an evident occurrence, and before he said anything else, he asked, "Who are you?" and got a direct answer.

Basing spirituality off emotionalism or maybes is a road to disaster.

Not sure if I quiet get what you mean. Those powerful feelings I had (the burning in the heart) were a spiritual experience and I am pretty sure they were from God.

Do you mean the doubt? Is the doubt just emotionalism?

:confused:

Okay so I was studying up on gospel principles and I was reading the Holy Ghost chapter (Chapter 7). I was reading this because I wanted to get to know him better so I'd know when I am receiving answers from him. Well... It just made me lost...

Somewhere in the middle it said "The convincing power of the Holy Ghost is so great that there can be no doubt that what He reveals to us is true. President Joseph Fielding Smith said: '“When a man has the manifestation from the Holy Ghost, it leaves an indelible impression on his soul, one that is not easily erased. It is Spirit speaking to spirit, and it comes with convincing force. A manifestation of an angel, or even of the Son of God himself, would impress the eye and mind, and eventually become dimmed, but the impressions of the Holy Ghost sink deeper into the soul and are more difficult to erase”'

If this is the case (I shouldn't be doubting) then maybe I am not trying hard enough? I doubt everything. I hate it... I wish I didn't, but I do. I think I have an answer from God (it sure feels like it), but then I doubt. My friend says that if you doubt it's not from God.

Is this true?

If this is the case (I shouldn't be doubting) then maybe I am not trying hard enough? I doubt everything. I hate it... I wish I didn't, but I do. I think I have an answer from God (it sure feels like it), but then I doubt. My friend says that if you doubt it's not from God.

Is this true?

I think that you aren't doubting your answers. I think that you're doubting yourself, and your ability to recognize the answers when they come. It takes a long time to figure out how you personally feel and respond to the Holy Ghost, and I suspect most people haven't yet figured it out as teenagers.

I really enjoy this article, from an old issue of The New Era, by President Harold B. Lee. It has resonated with me personally, and maybe it will be of help to you.

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1971/02/when-your-heart-tells-you-things-your-mind-does-not-know?lang=eng

This is what has always stood out to me:

[W]hen your heart begins to tell you things that your mind does not, then you are getting the Spirit of the Lord.

New around here, so I'm entering this topic late, but since it doesn't seem like this has been said before, I'll say it.

While a lot of the advice here is good, there is one thing I found is vital in receiving revelation and that is that you trust, or to use church terminology, have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, that He will reveal the answer to you in a way that you understand.

Think about it for a minute. We're talking about a being who has all power and all knowledge, not to mention who loves you. Do you think that He can't communicate with you in a way you can understand? Or that He won't? He does want you to learn to listen to the Spirit and so He'll help you. But you need to trust Him.

I'll share an incident with you in which I learned this truth. I was getting ready to leave my mission and wondering where to go next. I was wondering whether I should return to my family in Utah and go to school there, or go to California to live with my aunt and uncle and go to school there. I favored California and was hoping to get that as my answer. I had prayed before about other issues and gotten warm feelings, even some pretty intense experiences as answers, but this time I just wasn't getting it. I remember praying one time and kneeling there for the longest time after the prayer waiting for that feeling, but nothing came. Finally I stood up, told myself that the Lord would somehow get the answer to me, and that I was going to stop worrying about it for the moment.

A couple days later I went to interviews with the Mission President and the first thing out of his mouth, even before he said "Hello" was, "Have you submitted your application to UVSC yet?" (UVSC is a school in Utah for anybody who doesn't know. It's now UVU.) Well, there was my answer, and in a way that I knew for certain that was it.

I've faced a lot more complicated things since then, but the same principle applies. I just don't see a loving Father standing by watching me make terrible mistakes when He knows that my deepest desire is to do right. He might let me try a few things on my own and struggle for answers, but eventually He's going to straighten me out. And everything I go through will be turned for my good. I've seen it happen too many times to doubt.

Honestly, if you are struggling to gain an answer about whether or not the church is true, then why not just drop the matter for now and focus on something that is more concrete, like whether you should attend church or read your scriptures. If you follow the promptings of the Spirit long enough, all questions will be answered (and lots of new ones will be presented). It's an exciting journey, actually, learning truth through the Spirit and doing God's will. It's fun.

Edited by CalledToServe
grammar

Thanks called to serve. When I asked God my answer I trusted him and myself. I think the burning heart feeling was him at at the time I got it I knew I had my answer and I was happy till this idea popped into my head about it not being from good and just Satan or me. I instantly lost my happiness. Prayed again got the same feeling but doubting again. Well not so much doubting as wondering. I guess I should just drop it and ill figure it out eventually. LOL PS my question has nothing to do with church, I just did not really feel like explaining what it was about. Answers are Still answers no matter the question. I was questioning the church, but I figure ill figure it out when I leave for college. Thanks again!!

Glad to be of help. I figured you weren't talking about your concerns with whether the church is true, but since that is an important issue, I thought I would address it too.

Another thing along that lines, since it seems it might still be an issue, is that it really doesn't matter if you know whether the church is true or not. What matters is the individual principles, like do you really need to pay tithing and how much, do you need to attend church, do you need to serve in the callings you are given, and so forth. The church could be true and you untrue and that would do you no good whatsoever. So just find out what the Lord's will is for you and let the church be what it is.

Thanks! I'll figure all this out with time. I just don't like it when I doubt where my answer came from...

I think that everyone kind of has to "figure it out" as some have differing ways.

For me, & I learned this as a teenager, the most important promptings of the Spirit would come to me in the form of some random question, in all likelihood totally unrelated to anything in my life at the time, just popping into my mind & not leaving.

i.e.: "Why don't you ......?" or "Why not try .....?" "Perhaps you should examine ....?"

As an adult I have found myself to be one of those people that things have to be very rational minded, if I can't touch it, if it's not tangible, or if the scientific experiments don't provide the same result every single time ..... then I have a very difficult time believing it.

I do have a very powerful testimony, though frequently I have to remind myself of that & allow myself to have that testimony because, quite frankly, the confirmation I received & continue to receive are not tangible in anyway shape or form.

Anyhow, only recently did I notice that my Patriarchial Blessing actually tells me how I will know if it is the Holy Spirit ... I will not be provided instruction, but rather will be guided to discover that instruction for myself if I will follow the direction given.

hum,, i think that you should believe that it is from God and then tried it out. you know sometime it happens to me that i received some answer that i don't think it make sense, but i have faith in Him and do what the answer told me to do even it sometime against my want. but a week later, i am so happy that i followed Him and stop doing what i want to do, because if i follow my brain and do what i think is right...i would feel so bad now. i follow what the Lord told me, even it hard at first , but eventually i now see the result of the Lord's will for me.

my testimony grow and i know that the Lord has a good answer for everything He chose for us. my advice is that you should exercise your faith :)

read Alma32 again, it is my favorite chapter! the good tree bare good fruit. the Lord's answer always bare good fruit ^^ that how you know that it come from the Lord :)

Edited by MissSpider

• 2 weeks later...

I am having an issue with temple marriage. I don't really want to get married in the temple when the time comes because I do not believe if we don't we won't be together. Heaven will not be heaven with out those I love. Here's why I have issues with Temple Sealing.

1. I love my best friend more than anything and when I die heaven would not be heaven with out her. are you telling me we could not be like we are in heaven?

2. I have family who are married and my uncle is sealed to more than one woman. One he hates and does not want to be with and I like to put it as, he'd shoot him self in the after life than rather be with her. His wife now, he loves and is sealed to also.

3. My dad died when I was 4 and she is now re-married, but cannot get married in the temple. She's a very different person than she was back in the early 90s and she would not be happy with him. The husband she is now married to she'd rather die than never be with him again.

4. Me I don't want to get married in the temple just because. I want my heart to be in it and it's not. I also don't want to end up marrying a member when it would just be to get sealed in the temple when I could be even more happy with a non member than a member.

so are you telling me I would never get to see my family and friends and would not be apart of them in heaven? And if I reject getting married in the temple their is no hope for me? I'll just be alone in heaven or I won't really be a part of my friends and family in heaven? We would just be as angels in heaven as the bible states?

Sure, I believe we'll see and talk with and enjoy the company of those we love. But that's different from being sealed to a spouse, continuing marriage for eternity, and having increase together forever. If all you want is company, you're all set. :)

Sure, I believe we'll see and talk with and enjoy the company of those we love. But that's different from being sealed to a spouse, continuing marriage for eternity, and having increase together forever. If all you want is company, you're all set. :)

That's not exactly what I meant. I honestly don't think God is going to prevent you from being married in heaven with or without a sealing.

That's not exactly what I meant. I honestly don't think God is going to prevent you from being married in heaven with or without a sealing.

Depend on what you mean by being married... If your definition is just two people always hanging out together then sure why not.

However in the LDS context married in heaven means exaltation. And only those who have stepped up and did everything in their power to gain it will have it.

I am having an issue with temple marriage. I don't really want to get married in the temple when the time comes because I do not believe if we don't we won't be together. Heaven will not be heaven with out those I love. Here's why I have issues with Temple Sealing.

First, let us address the main issue...is the Church of Jesus Christ the restored gospel of our Lord? If so, then it has already been decided, Temple marriage is very important if you want to be sealed to your husband/wife forever.

Your personal belief will not change the ultimate effect of your decisions and the Lord's mercy and justice.

If this is not the Lord's restored gospel, then the question and our faith is in vain, or misplaced.

Have you received a witness? In other threads you have shared you have, while expressing you doubt. If you have received a witness, then you need to change your personal belief and accept the Lord's teachings -- or do you believe the Lord and his servants teach falsehoods that are considered doctrinal and canon?

1. I love my best friend more than anything and when I die heaven would not be heaven with out her. are you telling me we could not be like we are in heaven?

Heaven indeed will not be the same without any of our family, yet unfortunately due to personal choice, this will be the case, unless we repent and accept the Lord's commandments and keep them. We either choose to accept the Lord's will, or rebel, either way it is your personal choice and your friends personal choice.

2. I have family who are married and my uncle is sealed to more than one woman. One he hates and does not want to be with and I like to put it as, he'd shoot him self in the after life than rather be with her. His wife now, he loves and is sealed to also.

I am in understanding that the Lord will not force us to be with anyone we do not want to be with - sealed for eternity.

3. My dad died when I was 4 and she is now re-married, but cannot get married in the temple. She's a very different person than she was back in the early 90s and she would not be happy with him. The husband she is now married to she'd rather die than never be with him again.

Two options, if her current husband dies before her, she can then be sealed to both men. Thus, it provides the same idea a choice will be placed before her.

The other option, she cancels the sealing, if she has one, with her first husband and then seals herself to her current husband. That is her dilemma, why does this bother you?

4. Me I don't want to get married in the temple just because. I want my heart to be in it and it's not. I also don't want to end up marrying a member when it would just be to get sealed in the temple when I could be even more happy with a non member than a member.

Then, that is your choice and a consequence you will have to face, or a blessing, when you stand before the Lord. The Lord isn't going to force you to be obedient and honor his wishes. He has provided you with knowledge, how you accept that knowledge is purely up to you.

so are you telling me I would never get to see my family and friends and would not be apart of them in heaven? And if I reject getting married in the temple their is no hope for me? I'll just be alone in heaven or I won't really be a part of my friends and family in heaven? We would just be as angels in heaven as the bible states?

No, family members who reach the Celestial Kingdom are able to travel to any degree within heaven, and thus even see family members, friends, who may not have obtained the Celestial Glory, however, lower kingdoms are not able to visit higher kingdoms. This in direct result of their choice, not God's will. They chose to be there.

No, there is always hope, until we die, and a final judgment is given. Once the final judgment is pronounced, then well...hope isn't going to be a desire anymore, you will know.

Remember, blessed are those who keep God's commandments, a very easy doctrine to understand.

The best choice is to follow the spirit of the Lord. I have friends who chose to marry outside of the temple to non-members, and who counseled with their bishops and even their bishops agreed that the right choice was to marry a non-member. Their husbands are now members of the Church and they have been sealed together.

The final judgement is the Lord's and the Lord's alone. I hope that I remain faithful, and have faith that I will remain faithful, thus land myself in the Celestial Kingdom.

Best wishes to you Chrissy :)

It's not about companionship, it's about being creative partners with God and taking part in a covenant.

If it's a big deal to him, he can always look into a sealing cancellation. I know this isn't a popular statement, but "I'm sure God will work it all out in the end". I also believe that our opinions of each other, when we are all a little better with a little more perspective of the eternal variety, will be different.

Has she looked into a sealing cancellation?

I like that you are taking a serious look at temple marriage and not just aiming for it "just because". However, I advise you to look more deeply into it. From all you've stated here, I don't think you have the fullest understanding of just what it's all about.

As for member vs non-member, a sealing is a big deal--it's a covenant, but plenty of members marry non-members.

so are you telling me I would never get to see my family and friends and would not be apart of them in heaven?

Define "a part". As for seeing them, I'm pretty much positive you will be able to.

And if I reject getting married in the temple their is no hope for me? I'll just be alone in heaven or I won't really be a part of my friends and family in heaven? We would just be as angels in heaven as the bible states?

I hardly think the gloom and doom mentality is necessary. I believe options will be open.

Chrissy, you are looking at a temple marriage, an eternal sealing, as nothing more than two people sitting in some heavenly mansion on fluffy clouds and that is NOT what it is about. It is about uniting all of God's children according to the laws of heaven. Whether or not God would just let us hang out together anyway is neither here nor there.

Edited by Backroads

First, let us address the main issue...is the Church of Jesus Christ the restored gospel of our Lord? If so, then it has already been decided, Temple marriage is very important if you want to be sealed to your husband/wife forever.

I am not even sure if the church is true or if there even is a true church upon this earth. I know God exists, but religion is a different matter.

The other option, she cancels the sealing, if she has one, with her first husband and then seals herself to her current husband. That is her dilemma, why does this bother you?

She is not a member of the church. The only reason she keeps her name in the church is because of her children. Otherwise she would have it taken off. She has the same issue I do with temple marriage.

Civil marriages end at death and do not crossover to the next life. A temple marriage where spouses are sealed not only binds them for time but for eternity, too, which continues after death. Even the happiest and most righteous of couples will not receive this blessing unless they are sealed in the temple and live worthily. For the many people out there that are in this category, and may not have the opportunity to be sealed, they will have the opportunity in the next life to accept The Lord and his plan. And I recall that the various kingdoms that await us are all pleasant but only the highest kingdom is reserved for those who keep their covenants, at least, this is what I have understood.

I am not even sure if the church is true or if there even is a true church upon this earth. I know God exists, but religion is a different matter.

Hoping not to be offensive, just throwing out a statement here: If you don't believe in this stuff, you aren't a candidate for temple marriage at this time. Simple as that.

She is not a member of the church. The only reason she keeps her name in the church is because of her children. Otherwise she would have it taken off. She has the same issue I do with temple marriage.

Okay, I must do a small rant here:

If she has no real desire to be a member of the Church, suggesting she doesn't believe in it, why is she so concerned about a sealing she doesn't believe in? It's like people just want something to complain about.

I think that's where your focus needs to be, then. Do the work to determine for yourself whether there is a true church and whether this is it, and that will in turn answer all of the rest of your questions/issues/concerns.

Then the issue really isn't Temple Marriage, the true issue is whether or not this is the revealed and restored Church of Jesus Christ.

If it is, then a temple marriage is very important.

If it isn't, then what God do you profess to believe in? If not Jesus Christ and his restored gospel, why even consider a temple marriage?

We are the only religion that teaches and professes an eternal companionship -- that I know of.

In other threads, you mentioned your doubt, but then you also mentioned in one thread, the first thread I ever responded to you, that you had received a witness. Thus, I am a little confused by your response.

I would also have issues with every doctrine the Church teaches if I didn't have a witness. However, Chrissy, as long as you remain "halt between two opinions" it will be very hard to receive a witness, because when the witness comes it will be easy to shrug aside, no different then when Laman and Lemuel shrugged the witness from and Angel of God that God would deliver Laban, yet they were more concerned with the number of Laban's armies, then a witness from God.