Why are we not allowed to remember the pre existance?

ZionsRodeVos

We generally accept that God is all-knowing and therefore could draw the conclusion that He no longer needs faith. Yet the hymns are also considered to be doctrinal and in "The Spirit of God" we sing that the knowledge and power of God are expanding. Which is where I suppose things might start to become illogical or pass mortal understanding, but if God is all-knowing and yet has the capacity to expand in knowledge would it not seem highly probable that God still needs faith. It certainly seems like an eternal principle by which the power of the priesthood is directed, and that for God to no longer need faith would be a contradiction to his teachings whereby faith precedes miracles and is sort of a currency of spiritual power.

I also find it interesting to remember that as man is, God once was; and as God is, man may become. This leads me to the thought process that our Heavenly Father would have needed faith in something during his walk in mortality and this may need to continue in the eternities. Also, He may require faith in His servants to accomplish His works... and so faith becomes one eternal round.

Sorry if my post raises more questions, thanks for getting me thinking.

As I have read that hymn I believe the context is referencing the knowledge and power of God are expanding on the earth. I once thought that same thing until I looked more closely at it. He is indeed all-knowing but not expanding in knowedge because He knows everything.

Joseph Smith teaches how faith is a principle of power, that by faith the worlds were created. This shows a necessity for God to have faith so He creates.

Wow so much to think about. Thanks for all your replies and willingness to discuss this with me. As I was reading the parts about faith I thought about certain aspects of my life and find it interesting how I employ faith to show up at church every Sunday hoping to learn new things and at the same time teach things in a way that the young men I teach will feel the Holy Ghost and learn. And yet at the same time I fail utterly to use faith to do my home teaching.

Some people do learn during an open book test as they must read things to find the answers to the questions, the questions simply guide the person being tested to the answers the teacher wants the student to learn and understand.

Those verses in Romans are interesting too.

Sure :) - Opportunity Costs, what does one give up in order to read all these talks. 1 hour a day, 365 days, finish one talk in 30 minutes (hypothetically speaking), thus you have 730 talks a person can read a year.

If we times that by 5 years, you should be pretty close, at least with regard to the records we currently lost.

As to the records, which are hid, lost, or a mystery -- unless revealed in our time, nope, no chance.

:)

I didn't really expect someone to calculate out how long it would take. Even if I did this, I wouldn't understand everything I read, just as I don't understand every scripture I read.

And what some of you said got me to thinking that God likely has faith that all of us can do what we must to become like him and so because of that he took the time to create the world and set everything up and in motion for us to give it a try while at the same time he knows not all his children will become like him. Also it seems to me that knowing everything then does not prevent the use of faith.

My opinion and my understanding of scripture.

One purpose in coming to mortality is to experience good and evil - according to the symbolic representation from Eden and the tree of Knowledge of good and evil. The experience of evil is death - and we will all gain that knowledge - the inevitable result of evil is death. The experience of good is the Atonement of Jesus Christ that comes to us through the love and mercy of G-d.

But we come to earth with a veil. The reason, I believe, is so that our choices here are in essence guesses based on faith rather than choices based on knowledge. Since we do not “know” what we choose (or guess) we can have experience and knowledge of evil because we acted not knowing how bad any evil choice is in reality. Thus we can repent, if someone will intercede on our behalf - which is according to the law of agency. If we had knowledge of our pre-existence then our experience in evil would be a choice of free will - from which there cannot be repentance as was the case of Lucifer and his followers.

The Traveler