New MTC

pam

what happens when the intake of missionary fluctuates back down to normal levels?

i just feel like it's compromising the core of the LDS program in Mexico. a large majority of active members in mexico went to this school. for many faithful, hardworking, mexican lds this was their only opportunity at a good education in a place where it is otherwise very hard to come by. as well as it being mormon operated which provided a spiritual foundation for these students to remain active lds and go on to become the leaders of the lds church in mexico.

just like in new zealand when they closed church college in 2006, the lds youth go to public schools being severely outnumbered and many just easily slip away.

To be honest, I don't see that the need won't remain there. In my lifetime I have seen the church go from just 1 MTC in Provo to now having 15 around the world. Obviously there is a need for them and I only see the need increasing further.

For the record, I'm not flustered by this, I simply stated that I was surprised that this wasn't a controversy because it seems that these subjects often are. I have no doubts that the Church has crunched numbers and has come to a strong conclusion that this transformation is the way to go at this time. And alike many big decisions the Church encounters, I also have no doubts that they are made after much consultation with the Lord, and I do believe He has a hand in this if not both.

"Church leaders announced today that the Church-owned high school Benemerito de las Americas near Mexico City will become a training center for missionaries who will serve in Mexico and North, Central and South America," said LDS Church spokesperson Michael Purdy Wednesday.

So is it saying that those of us who live in the US will need to go to Mexico City to attend missionary training for a mission to the US? They lost me on that one. :confused:

So is it saying that those of us who live in the US will need to go to Mexico City to attend missionary training for a mission to the US? They lost me on that one. :confused:

Not that different from an Arizonan or Floridian traveling to Provo to learn Spanish before serving a mission to northern Mexico. And this way they will be immersed in a milieu where their target language is spoken natively by the locals, not unlike California or eastern Washington.

• 2 months later...