Caffeine?

Chrissy3818

Well, you see, when Dr Pepper was first produced, it was made by a simple yet magical process of distilling pure good and holiness into bottles. After a while, evil people got involved (another reason I wish I had converted years ago; I would never have tasted that vile filth that Snapple tries to claim is "tea") and the original recipe was replaced with raw sewage and pure evil. Only the Dublin bottling plant kept to the original recipe, which, of course angered the demons in charge of Snapple, which led to the disgusting attack on Dublin last year.

So really, unless you managed to stock up on Dublin DP, prune juice would be a much better option. If you're buying the DP/Snapple filth, you're just supporting evil.

OK, those with a history of controversial LDS history help me on this one (leave it to me to merge the caffeinated drinks thread with history): Is it true that BYU-ID (before it became that...Ricks College, I believe) did not allow soda pop to be sold to students on campus, but that professors had it in their lounge?

P.S. I am well aware that trafficking in rumors is unseemly, and am repenting even as I post. :-)

Well I went to Ricks and I definitely remember being able to purchase a soda in the cafeteria up in the student center.

Husband occasionally buys energy drinks when they are on sale to get him through tough night shifts. Now, I've never been an energy drink addict (they really were a temporary solution to an insomnia night or something for a long drive) but I do like some of the tastes of some of them and I'm starting to really crave one. Sigh. I'm making due with the occasional Coke.

Husband occasionally buys energy drinks when they are on sale to get him through tough night shifts. Now, I've never been an energy drink addict (they really were a temporary solution to an insomnia night or something for a long drive) but I do like some of the tastes of some of them and I'm starting to really crave one. Sigh. I'm making due with the occasional Coke.

I'm not sure I understand how an energy drink would be a temporary solution to insomnia. I would think it would cause more insomnia.

I'm not sure I understand how an energy drink would be a temporary solution to insomnia. I would think it would cause more insomnia.

It gets me through the next day after being up all night. Doesn't fix the problem of insomnia, but at least I can function for another day.

It gets me through the next day after being up all night. Doesn't fix the problem of insomnia, but at least I can function for another day.

I saw a Dr. Oz show the other day where he said that some of these energy drinks have as much as three times the amount of caffeine that's in a cup of coffee. So yeah, it'll help keep you awake after a night of insomnia, but at what cost? The scarier thing to me is that the FDA doesn't regulate them, so we have no idea what all is in them. The link goes to a video of his show where he talks about energy drinks.

I've done a bit of research on caffeine consumption. Although there is some disagreement between doctors, there is a general consensus that you can consume up to 300 mg of caffeine per day without significant health risks assuming that you have a healthy heart. Caffeine temporarily raises your blood pressure to high levels, so bad hearts and caffeine don't mix. Consuming caffeine in the morning is less problematic than drinking it anytime after noon, since caffeine can cause insomnia even if you consumed it in the early afternoon.

A typical 8 ounce cup of coffee has about 100 mg of caffeine. In comparison, an 8 ounce Red Bull has 80 mg of caffeine. There are a few 16 ounce energy drinks with 240 mg of caffeine, so one per day would reach the maximum limit. The benefit to energy drinks is that it's a more efficient medium to consume caffeine than say regular soda. For example, 2 liters of Mountain Dew has 310 mg of caffeine. You'd have to drink 4 times more Mountain Dew to beat out the 16 ounce energy drink with 240 mg in it.

Caffeine does have benefits. It gives you more energy and speeds up brain function. What you do with the energy is up to you. Some people use it to get fit, because they have more energy to exercise and some use it to prepare for presentations or tests. Others just waste the energy on unproductive pursuits.

This thread has covered the drawbacks pretty well, so I thought I'd throw in the other side of the argument. My opinion is to avoid using it every day, but if you need a one-time boost now and again it's not likely to hurt you if consumed in moderation.

The scarier thing to me is that the FDA doesn't regulate them, so we have no idea what all is in them.

You mean doesn't regulate them any more than it does other soft drinks? Energy drinks are subject to the same food label regulations as everything else.

Are we (LDS) allowed to drink Caffeinated sodas. I've heard two sides, yes and no. I've always grown up with the no answer due to the fact that only UN Caffeinated drinks are in the temple. But a lot of LDS I know drink Caffeinated sodas.

Is it allowed or is it not?

Of course it is okay. Why we spend so much time pondering about soda will never make sense to me. What you should be asking is should we be eating so much meat? The Doctrine and Covenants said we shouldn't be.

Of course it is okay. Why we spend so much time pondering about soda will never make sense to me. What you should be asking is should we be eating so much meat? The Doctrine and Covenants said we shouldn't be.

I think people are allowed to ponder on what they think is important.

How can we ponder about how much meat we eat when we should be pondering about the media we watch in our own homes....

One persons mote, is anothers beam Smeagums.

Are we (LDS) allowed to drink Caffeinated sodas. I've heard two sides, yes and no. I've always grown up with the no answer due to the fact that only UN Caffeinated drinks are in the temple. But a lot of LDS I know drink Caffeinated sodas.

Is it allowed or is it not?

While there is no written doctrine that goes flat out and says no caffiene..

Caffiene is a drug. I'd advise to treat it as such.

There are also those who are in positions to be judge over israel who may have more or less hardline views on it, and are authorised to make the call that it interferes with spirituality.

Probably one of the better rule of thumb judging questions i've heard is;

Does it interfere with your health?

and

Does it interfere with your ability come unto the lord and recieve inspiration from the Holy Spirit?

If yes to either, then you probably ought to stay away from it.

Caffeine isn't against the Word of Wisdom. It is up to each member to decide whether or not to partake of anything that contains caffeine. I stay away from caffeine because of health reasons, but before my diagnosis I was addicted to Dr. Pepper.

There was one Bishop in my area that told his ward that caffeine was against the Word of Wisdom and wouldn't issue a Temple Recommend if the member was drinking caffeinated sodas. Several people complained to the Stake President. At the next meeting all the Bishops in the ward had with the Stake President, the Stake President showed up ten minutes late carrying a lunch pail. He apologized for being late, said he hadn't had time to eat and asked if anyone had a problem if he ate his dinner during the meeting. No one did. The Stake President pulled out a can of Pepsi from his lunch pail, popped it open and took a long drink. He asked if anyone had a problem while looking directly at the Bishop. No one said a word.