Going Beyond the Classroom...

Tough Grits

In the new curriculum for the youth, there is an emphasis on extending beyond the Sunday classroom and YM/YM classes in order to make stronger connections with the parents.

I woke up this morning with two thoughts/ideas waiting on me.

One of the thoughts, was to create a group within fb for the parents of all the students in my Valiant 10-11 class.

The purpose of the group will be to give the parents the lesson and scriptures for the upcoming week, share what we have learned thus far, to send reminders (if any), and to simply connect with the parents, making them feel part of what is going on in the class with their children.

This could also prepare them for when their child moves in YM/YW and the Youth Sunday School, and the new curriculum that they will encounter.

I am excited, but I also know that many parents may not read the updates or take the time to actually have the children read the scriptures in advance. I know. Still, when I wake up with ideas waiting on me, I try not to ignore them. ^_^

Any thoughts?

TG, it is my impression that the new curriculum is only for the Young Women & Young Men, not those in Primary.

I can see getting the Valiant class more involved in the lessons - that is why when I substituted for the three Sundays in a row, I sent them home with work to do. The scriptures that were being used for the next lesson. Questions that were answered by those scriptures.

I then emailed their mothers the Home Work as soon as I got home on Sunday. Then on Friday night I emailed them again.

Those kids read the scriptures, answered the questions & highlighted the answers in their scriptures. They asked ME questions- sure made teaching them easy & they all participated in class. Even the bratty boy who preferred to smack down those unfortunate enough to sit next to him.

Chances are if the kid has a FB page, they have an email address. Get their email address and BCC their parents with what you send them.

I wouldn't do a FB page - I would do an email newsletter. FB is just way too public and not really in your control. Email is in your control. If you don't want the parents to have each others email addy, then BCC the addresses.

Personally I don't see a problem with having a facebook page. That's the era we're in. I don't always check my email because usually I have a message or the info can be found on facebook.

I think it's a good idea. You can make it a closed or private group that people have to be invited to.

Personally I don't see a problem with having a facebook page. That's the era we're in. I don't always check my email because usually I have a message or the info can be found on facebook.

I think it's a good idea. You can make it a closed or private group that people have to be invited to.

Yes, it is a closed group. Only those that I invite can see what is posted. Actually, the group is mostly for the parents, not the kids themselves. I want to get the parents more involved.

Iggy, you are correct...the new curriculum is for YM/YW and youth Sunday school. ^_^

However, my students will be moving up to these programs at some point during this year. In our ward, as soon as Valiants turn 12, they can choose to move directly into the YM/YW and Youth Sunday School classes without waiting for the beginning of the next year.

So, I wanted to provide a place where parents can see what lessons are coming up, what scriptures we are reading...etc. This will also get the parents and kids more prepared for the new curriculum in Youth that is supposed to be more inclusive of parents.

Also, being in a VERY small town and ward, everybody involved is already friends on fb and half are related by blood, the other half by marriage. So, no worries about privacy! :lol: But as I said, it is a closed group.

Thanks for the feedback!! :)