Historic Sites Missionaries?

kjmillig

Most LDS Historic Sites are staffed by Missionaries, & most are senior singles or senior couples.

Many do have Missionaries that dress and/or act in the historic part, though frequently those actors & roles tend to come & go based on the misionaries serving at that location at the specific time.

I saw this in Palmyra, our visit was filled with "role players" & many of the Missionaries, especcially the sisters, were dressed to that era. Though a family member went a few years laters & didn't have that experience.

Even at Cove Fort, which always seems to have "role players", as the missionaries change the experience changes. Of the many "rest stops" we've made at Cove Fort we have never had the same tour or the same actors or the same experience.

I would imagine that the site leaders try fill certain acting roles though are always open to developing new roles & phasing out old roles so as to accomodate & fit new missionaries arriving at the site.

I would also imagine that it is no different then any other "mostly missionary staffed" program such as Bishop's Storehouses ..... some seem"very-well-staffed" with busy busy busy missionaries & volunteers & the storehouse manager makes sure that they each have something useful & valuable to do, while at other storehouses, there just isn't "the need" ......

I guess what I am saying is a lot of it depends on the historic site leadership & how creative & open they are to using the missionary resources they are presented with -- how flexible they are to making changes as the knowledge & interests & abilities of their missionary staffing changes.

Edited by Sharky

Thanks for all the information so far. My wife and I were heavily involved with a small living history group in the past, and will likely do more in the future. It's something we really enjoy. I'm also a history teacher. Of course we'll serve where needed when that time comes, but we think it would be a wonderful and unique opportunity to share our talents in that way.

A couple in my ward has gone to Palmyra for several years now. They both work and use their vacation time to do this.

I wish there were more things that singles could do - at least there are some single sister opportunities. There doesn't seem to be anything for older single men.

I wish there were more things that singles could do - at least there are some single sister opportunities. There doesn't seem to be anything for older single men.

Older single men can lift where they stand. Unless they are widowed General Authorities, the fact is that unmarried older men are not of use in formal missionary work or Church leadership. Men may mourn that fact and may consider it unfair, but fair or not, that is the reality of things.

Older single men can lift where they stand. Unless they are widowed General Authorities, the fact is that unmarried older men are not of use in formal missionary work or Church leadership. Men may mourn that fact and may consider it unfair, but fair or not, that is the reality of things.

Careful, men will be having a "Wear a dress to church day" because of the unfairness.

There were two older senior-citizen aged men who served in my mission as companions while I was there. They were not local residents assigned to the mission, but were from elsewhere (one from Scotland, as a matter of fact).

Since the late 80's, older single men have been permitted to serve missions, though it's only uncommonly heard of. I have a personal connection to the first person who did so.