The Pope has given his resignation

Guest LiterateParakeet

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why this would be considered to be a hurtful thing. I'm sure he made his decision with much prayer. According to another article it states:

Although most popes remain in office until their death, the regulations that govern the Catholic Church allow for a pope to step down from his duties. He need not ask permission: It is his decision entirely.

To me it is done with much courage and much humility in deciding that they are no longer able to perform all the numerous duties of their office.

I remember when this pope was elected. I have a fwe conversations and the general conclusion was this pope wouldn't hold the office for long, either he'd pass away of step down. Following in the shoes of John paul the second left quite a legacy to follow and some thought he was just a place holder til someone better (not that he's not a great man) came along.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I'm not sure why this would be considered to be a hurtful thing. I'm sure he made his decision with much prayer.

Simply because the article I read didn't explain "stepping down" as a possibility, only that he is the first Pope to have done so since 1415. Our Prophets don't "step down" even when they are in poor health. I think if Pres. Monson said one day he is going to abdicate his position, it would rock a lot of people's world. So my intent was to be sympathetic that perhaps this would be a difficult thing for our Catholic friends. If it is no big deal, then it's no big deal.

I think it would be a good thing for us to give our prophets the same option.

Agreed. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it started to happen soon. It wasn't all that long ago that we started putting seventies onto emeritus status. The major impetus behind doing so was that we needed younger, more physically able men to help the Twelve in their responsibilities. I don't know if we'll ever hit the point of requiring Apostles and prophets to go onto emeritus status (how would succession work if it were mandatory?) but I can see us allowing them to step out if their health and physical abilities make the calling overly burdensome on them.

by "us", I meant the LDS church as a whole. Including prophets and apostles.

And who makes decisions for "us"? Not us. Such a thing is not ours to give.

If the prophet wished to step down from his position, he could do so. The fact that none has ever done so doesn't mean they can't, just that they don't. I'm guessing there is an important reason for that.

Guest gopecon

I think a big reason why the 12 and First Presidency don't have an Emeritus/retirement option is that they hold the keys to the Kingdom via their ordinations to the apostleship. There are only so many people at a time that are given those keys (this is why we have 1 quorum of the 12, unlike the Seventies that can grow as the Church needs expands.

That said, if one of them wanted to step away from the ministry, they have the agency to do so.

A prophet can step down anytime he feels its the right thing to do. He is a prophet after all. We have had more than 12 apostles. In fact we always have more than 12. There is no reason to be inflexible given that these men are perfectly capable of asking God and receiving answers. Surely we trust them to do this.

As far as the pope goes, it was shocking news. It makes sense though. He obviously is very weak physically. There are a lot of issues around his papacy that may well have influenced his decision. Overall he is a brave man to do what he feels is the right thing to do at this time.

I have been disturbed to see all the crazy stuff going on the web today about him. People are reacting in some very odd ways.