Best ways for wards/stakes to handle new Scouting fears? (includes a small rant)

So... I work for a BSA council that consists of many LDS units. We bill stakes for the costs of charters. We don't post charters until we receive money. Boss wants all units posted by mid-March. We were doing super-awesome on receiving payments until a certain controversy arose. We have had more than a few people confess their stake finance guys are "waiting" to see what the Church will say before they pay for charters. And we have many people who want to continue their Scouting stuff regardless.

It's rather annoying to hear "Oh, I think my stake might want to back out, but I want all this stuff done for my technically non-existant troop anyway".

Looking for another perspective. If a stake or ward plans on turning away from Scouting, should they be encouraging their leaders to continue forward in Scouting even if it possibly means all the work (and awards including Eagle) will all be for naught if they wind up not registering their boys? Is this really up to the stakes to choose to back out at this point?

A co-worker made the point the Church would want all the stakes to pay their bills on time, so why are so many people interested in delaying?

(And I do not want this to turn into a debate over the controversy in question).

Edited by Backroads

This is just baloney. Can you simply tell the units involved that, as their charter has expired, you cannot and will not do anything for them? Or is their charter current and they just haven't renewed yet? If the latter, I'm not sure there is much that you can do. But it's still (forgive the harsh judgment) stupid of them to delay re-upping their charter. Even if BSA does allow homosexuals to serve -- which they won't -- that does not necessarily mean the Church will pull out. (Admittedly, I'd be surprised if the Church didn't pull out under such circumstances, but it's not guaranteed.)

Sort of reminds me of those who quit paying their bills in late 1999 because, hey, the nation would pretty much cease to exist at the Y2K debacle, so why bother?

Can you simply tell the units involved that, as their charter has expired, you cannot and will not do anything for them? Or is their charter current and they just haven't renewed yet?

We're a January through December council. So, right now, if you haven't posted (our term meaning you have submitted your charter and have paid for it and we have been able to hit the handy "post" button), you, for all intents and purposes, do not exist.

However, our boss is really into pleasing the customer, which is fine and great, so we hand out like candy these Temporary Advancement forms which are sort of frowned upon, but allow panicked den leaders and Scoutmasters to buy awards with the plan of entering the information later.

It's literally a temporary situation, and I'm sure the stakes will eventually pay up, but the longer they delay, the harder it is for the unit leaders at the bottom of the totem pole to properly do their jobs.

So we could say "not doing anything for you", but it's hard to say to a teary den leader. The temporary forms work fine--temporarily--but eventually they will need hard data in the computer.

I realize it's not their fault the stake is balking, but perhaps they need to be on the same page with their stake. It has to be either do or don't.

My understanding of the controversy is in having ways to allow those with same-sex attraction (openly) to participate with BSA, but not infringe on a chartered organization's right to organize their BSA program to conform with religious beliefs.

Regardless of the BSA decision, it should not affect how LDS units lead and run their BSA program, as it is an extension of the Church youth program... not the Church an extension of the BSA.

The BSA does not run nor dictate matters to the Church in how to run their program and who is eligible to serve. If they did, it would be a very different matter to consider entirely.

I have no speculation to offer as to the outcome of the controversy.

However, I am wondering if by waiting they are hoping to have an increase in popularity with the show "Are you tougher than a Boy Scout?' airing next month on National Geographic?

I find interesting that so many stakes seem to be speculating on the Church pulling out. Even if the Church were to do so, part of me thinks the LDS units would be given more advanced warning--perhaps a year of the Scouting budget to finish up things. I don't think anyone needs to stop now before the Church gives any instructions.

I think this goes against what the church has already stated, and that was that no leaders should speculate on the outcome. By not renewing and waiting, they are speculating.

We are not the stock market, where every little things makes people not invest because they are waiting. If the church was ran like that, I am sure we wouldnt have much progress. Business as normal. They should re-charter and pay up.

I understand what your boss is doing, you dont make a business decision to go hard and tough on your consumers unless they are taking advantage/manipulaating the company. For now, I think your boss is doing the right thing. Keep customers happy....but that is not saying the customers are correct.

Is this really up to the stakes to choose to back out at this point?

I wouldn't think so.

A co-worker made the point the Church would want all the stakes to pay their bills on time, so why are so many people interested in delaying?

I very much agree with the co-worker.

(And I do not want this to turn into a debate over the controversy in question).

Oh come on...where's your sense of beating a dead horse?

I realize it's not their fault the stake is balking, but perhaps they need to be on the same page with their stake.

It sounds to me like the wards and stakes ALL need to be on the same page as the Church, which is that nothing has currently changed. Carry on.

I have a really hard time imagining what the Church will do when this policy changes. My hope is that they will continue to support the program, but I just don't know.

However, my father is serving as a branch president of a very small branch in Indiana. They have three scout aged young men, all of whom are registered in troops in their community (three separate troops even). Given the size of the branch and the resources it would take to run a full scouting unit, my father decided he wasn't going to charter a troop to the branch. Then the stake president stepped in and said that the boys should be dual registered.

These three boys do the bulk of their scouting activities with their community troops. So why register them in a faux-troop through the branch? 1) So that the young men activities can take advantage of BSA insurance coverage, and 2) because the training offered to young men leaders through the scouting program surpasses the training available to leaders through the Church.

Unfortunately, it isn't clear to me if this is a stake president's opinion (this stake is strongly encouraging all of their leaders to take the Wood Badge training, including Relief Society presidencies), or if this was counsel given from higher up. But before stakes abandon the scouting program, I think they should be aware of the insurance and training opportunities that they are giving up.

You don't seem to enjoy your job much.

Actually, I really do.

This past couple of weeks, though, have been stressful. LOTS of comments about the Church pulling out and lots of questions from the local leaders about why charters aren't posted. It's an awkward time of year anyway, and the latest controversy isn't helping matters. With no offense to the Church, LDS Scouting often consists of undertrained people who find themselves in over their heads.

In this case, I worry about delays and then people panicking that it's been six months and Billy can't get his Eagle because his stake was too afraid to pay for charters.

I'm pretty much ranting about the minority. But, yeah, I do seem to be complaining.

Happy things:

I love the BSA program.

I like most of my coworkers and don't hate any of them.

It's (usually) a non-stressful job.

This one volunteer brings me candy weekly.

My boss is so easy to work with (even though I kind of want to buy him a spa gift certificate and convince him to relax once in awhile. Type A people. Sheesh.)

My job lets me detail-oriented and allows me to get out the rare organizational tendencies I have.

I get to show off my killer typing speed skills.

... With no offense to the Church, LDS Scouting often consists of undertrained people who find themselves in over their heads.

Amen to that!

Although it is a volunteer role, those that are asked to volunteer are often very unqualified. I happen to be one of them haha! Fotunately for me I have others that are with me that really know what they are doing and guide me by the reins.

With no offense to the Church, LDS Scouting often consists of undertrained people who find themselves in over their heads.

That's hardly unique to the Church. As I recall, most of the adult volunteers when I was in Scouts were as lost as we were on a lot of things. Fortunately, our Scoutmaster was (and still is, 20+ years later) very dedicated, and good at the rough equivalent of herding cats.