Is Christianity becoming less relevant?

Traveler

In general terms – what are your thoughts and feelings? With advances in science and changes in the political and social landscape is Christianity having less influence in society – especially in the up and coming generations? I am not asking if Christianity is less important – just if society is becoming less Christian. 200 years ago Christianity was at the center of our society – our country was expanding under the ideas of “expanding” the influence of Christianity. But today, it almost seems that Christianity is becoming more meaningless in entertainment, economics, politics and education.

The Traveler

I would say that in general society is becoming increasingly secular.

Interesting anecdote, I had to give a demonstration as part of a communications class. I mentioned that I grew up going to a Church ( I purposefully didn't mention which one) with conservative Sunday dress and that men would often wear suits and ties and that part of the package was polished dress shoes. The point being I had lots of practice polishing shoes because there are a lot of Sundays each year (I made the connection explicitly).

One point of peer feedback I got:

Mention of religion was a little awkward just because others may not be the same faith etc...

I find the idea that acknowledgement of religious belief* is awkward to be a curious one. It's not just that religion is becoming less relevant, it is becoming anathema. Something to be acknowledged amongst those of like mind and not 'shamefully' acknowledge in the light of day.

* Honestly it wasn't even that, it was acknowledgement that I have attended an unnamed religion with conservative Sunday dress growing up.

[...] it almost seems that Christianity is becoming more meaningless in entertainment, economics, politics and education.

The Traveler

Didn't see this thread until after I just posted my own about something similar.

Where I live, the South, religion is not only acceptable--but expected.

However, the quality of Christianity (regardless of denomination) bothers me. It is almost as if it is a cultural expectation here in the South to be "religious" and attend church on Sundays, but true devotion and true discipleship is less evident.

I feel as if many Christians in my area (LDS too) treat Sunday as the one day to profess adoration and love for God, but then live their lives as they please the rest of the week.

In fact, there is a song on the country radio station by Thomas Rhett titled, "Beer with Jesus". A completely sincere, though ridiculous song, about a man having a beer with Jesus. SIGH

The worst part? I shudder to think how many Christians (including LDS) in my area think this is a profound and faith-promoting song.

In general terms – what are your thoughts and feelings? With advances in science and changes in the political and social landscape is Christianity having less influence in society – especially in the up and coming generations? I am not asking if Christianity is less important – just if society is becoming less Christian. 200 years ago Christianity was at the center of our society – our country was expanding under the ideas of “expanding” the influence of Christianity. But today, it almost seems that Christianity is becoming more meaningless in entertainment, economics, politics and education.

The Traveler

I don't think there is any doubt that our society is becoming increasingly secularized and our government is doing everything in its power to assist in making that happen. From a Catholic perspective, we are in a spiritual battle with satan who roams about the earth seeking whom he may devour. What I think this means to all of us is that we must hold ever closer to our beliefs and somehow be a light in the darkness.

It definitely seems as if Christianity is becoming less relevant and many people and organizations distance themselves from religion or at least do so in public.

However, in spite of all the changes brought on by science, technological advancements, the government, and so on, there are strongholds of faithful Christians, who not only do more than just attend church on Sundays but try to become more like Jesus and it is these people's influence that is still seen in songs, in books, and in communities, especially during times of disaster and crisis, and when thousands of them put their time and resources into helping others, entire countries feel the difference and know from whence the help came and are grateful for it. Children around the world experience the difference in their lives because of those faithful to the gospel.

It's quite likely there are fewer people who are as devoted to following Jesus as there once were, but many of those fewer people quietly help others in positive ways and create lasting memories with those who, for now, care little for religion.

More and more people believe that adhering to Cristian beliefs is too restricting and so they chose different ways to live.

I wonder if part of the problem is that we as "Christians" are not paying attention to what is happening around us. Not to be critical but to offer a perspective - In my field of engineering I meet a lot of individuals that were raised in good Christian homes but left the religion of their youth because it does not seem "able" to address "changes" in our understanding of things.

Paramount is an attitude that the basics of religion are not understandable and are in essence "magic" or supernatural - thus there it is impossible to "investigate" such things but instead acceptable only as a matter of faith. With such an attitude many good religious individuals, simply disengage and as such have little to offer in the explanation of things so creating an attitude for themselves are getting "left behind" and less relevant. Fewer Christians are becoming scientists and more are becoming hostile to even the study of science.

In the meantime the secular world is generating explanations and answers for "things" - but I believe that though such answers are able to resolve or encompass certain things - the secular answers are incomplete. Or as one modern philosopher implied - sense and soul are in the trows of divorce rather that reconciliation. Should not the enlightened heart and mind of those inspired by G-d lead the way to reconciliation? Should we of religious devotion not lead the way of enlightened understanding?

My father use to tell me - if you what to change anything - you will have to do something different. There is an old saying - that the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. Can we or should we make "changes" to Christian perspective? For example - should we follow the golden rule and be as willing to becomes educated and able to contribute in the sciences as we expect the those of scientific background to become educated and contribute to the religious soul? Is there room within the teachings of Christ to reconcile the logic of the mind and the compassion of the spirit?

The Traveler

I wonder if part of the problem is that we as "Christians" are not paying attention to what is happening around us. Not to be critical but to offer a perspective - In my field of engineering I meet a lot of individuals that were raised in good Christian homes but left the religion of their youth because it does not seem "able" to address "changes" in our understanding of things.

Paramount is an attitude that the basics of religion are not understandable and are in essence "magic" or supernatural - thus there it is impossible to "investigate" such things but instead acceptable only as a matter of faith. With such an attitude many good religious individuals, simply disengage and as such have little to offer in the explanation of things so creating an attitude for themselves are getting "left behind" and less relevant. Fewer Christians are becoming scientists and more are becoming hostile to even the study of science.

I have definitely seen this. I was part of a Science circle once on Google+, and the amount of anger and intolerance toward any religion was surprising. However, it became clear that most of them thought that religion meant people who hated gay people and thought Jesus rode dinosaurs. That seemed to be their understanding of religion. I think that public Christianity has been, to some extent, hijacked in many spheres. The kind of Christianity that makes the news is intolerant, thoughtless, and rejects science.

This is, of course, an exaggeration, but there is some truth to it, and in that truth is, at least, a partial explanation of the anger and derision.

In the meantime the secular world is generating explanations and answers for "things" - but I believe that though such answers are able to resolve or encompass certain things - the secular answers are incomplete. Or as one modern philosopher implied - sense and soul are in the trows of divorce rather that reconciliation. Should not the enlightened heart and mind of those inspired by G-d lead the way to reconciliation? Should we of religious devotion not lead the way of enlightened understanding?

Yes. I think we should. And I think that many Christians do. However, the negative is always louder. And some do withdraw. We should fight our isolationism.

My father use to tell me - if you what to change anything - you will have to do something different. There is an old saying - that the definition of insanity is to continue to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. Can we or should we make "changes" to Christian perspective? For example - should we follow the golden rule and be as willing to becomes educated and able to contribute in the sciences as we expect the those of scientific background to become educated and contribute to the religious soul? Is there room within the teachings of Christ to reconcile the logic of the mind and the compassion of the spirit?

Yes and yes, as long as we keep the faith.* I think we should become extremely educated, and that should not stop when we leave school. Frankly, I think many of us do, or they do in the LDS community, anyway. Many of my friends are scientists or engineers. Of course, I am at BYU, so perhaps my experience is skewed.

*This is totally possible. However, there are some who would say that we should redefine Christianity in order to fit postmodern secularism. That is why I included that line.

Well, the perception of Christianity in the United States could use some rebranding. Maybe there was a time when Christianity was synonymous with hospitals, private schools, charity drives, and other positive social institutions, but we have government programs for that sort of thing. Now, it seems like Christians are more likely to spend time arguing amongst denominations over obscure theological positions rather than setting aside some time to be helpful for their fellow man.