Sister Missionary finds herself Stranded in Foriegn Airporton on her first day of the Mission

kathysmike

My Sweet 21 year old Niece was excited when she opened her Mission call back in September, to see she was called to serve in the Santo Domingo East mission, in the Dominican Republic. Her call had her reporting the MTC in Provo, in December she was informed she no longer needed to report to Provo but need report directly to the MTC in the Dominican Republic 3 weeks after her original report date for Provo.

Sister Mero flew out of the Detroit Metro Airport on this past Wednesday, after a two hour lay over in Miami, she arrived at the airport in Santo Domingo, only to find no one from the MTC there to met her, after clearing customs and looking around, and a touch of panic starting to set in, she decided she needed to pray for help, as she exited the airport to find a quitter spot to call out and plea for help from above, she was approached by a woman who happened to be a member of the church who was sensitive enough to the spirit to realize this young Sister missionary was in a near panic and needed her help. With the help that was provided they got in touch with the MTC there in the DR, and arranged transportation, after the arrangements had been set up this local sister sat and visited with my niece until the cab arrived to whisk her away to the MTC.

A couple of neat side notes Sister Mero, also reported the MTC there in the DR has about 30 Missionaries in training at this time, all the classrooms and dorm type rooms are on the 4th floor of a building near or next to the Temple. I assume it is some type of church administration building, as she mentioned the café/lunchroom was on the 1st floor.

I'm glad your niece is safe. It's unfortunate that no one told her not to leave the protection of the airport while she tried to figure out what to do. Also, whoever was supposed to come for her would be looking for her in the airport, not wandering around its vicinity.

Prayer is good. So are street smarts.

Maybe she was inspired to leave the airport where the lord already knew there was a member that would approach her.

We are in a small town and had missionaries assigned to our area with no directions. They didn't even know where the apartment or the church was. They wandered past walmart and decided they would pick up a few things while they figured out what to do. I happened to see them across the parking lot so I called out to them. They seemed very thrilled to have someone that could tell them where to find things.

Sometimes answers to inner pleadings aren't experiences of majesty. Sometimes it's just a random thought of "let's stop stressing a min and pick up something from the store" or "I need to get out of this noise so I don't lose it and pray for help."

Congrats to your niece and your family.