Cleanliness is next to godliness?

Milluw

I saw this video the other day:

And i am just curious to hear people's opinions this.

More specifically about how the spirit in us gets clogged because of dirt, and that we more easily can be spiritual when having gone through a cleansing process like the one that she she explains?

I know that keeping clean and groomed, having your things organized and such in your home, does help.. at least for me. Im just wondering if taking it to the next level and doing this spiritual bathing often, really does make you connect more with the spirit.

What are your thoughts? :)

We have external ordinances that do the same thing for us. Baptism does not really wash away our sins, but it does work as an external ordinance to prepare our minds and hearts to have our sins remitted.

The other external ordinances help us to prepare and absorb the inner workings of the ordinance involved.

So, I'm sure that having external things decluttered and cleansed can help us prepare internally.

More specifically about how the spirit in us gets clogged because of dirt, and that we more easily can be spiritual when having gone through a cleansing process like the one that she she explains?

I know that keeping clean and groomed, having your things organized and such in your home, does help.. at least for me. Im just wondering if taking it to the next level and doing this spiritual bathing often, really does make you connect more with the spirit.

The Bible says our heart can be seared by sin and we can become insensitive to the Spirit. I think this is like becoming "clogged" as you put it. We do need spiritual cleansing. We need to repent and seek forgiveness when we have sinned. We need to take time to "bathe" in prayer and God's word. It is much better to keep clean than to get dirty with sin and have to do a deep cleaning.

Thank you for such a great reminder!

I think it is wonderful that she is trying, making attempts, to increase her spirituality, however I don't believe this information provides any words of wisdom, except the words, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."

A 15 minute shower will clean a person just as much as a 60 minutes shower. This video reminds me of how the Jews began to create for themselves unnecessary rules to increase their spirituality. For example, if a person was a seamstress and they had their pin in their clothes on Sunday, they were breaking the Sabbath.

Again, if this is the way she feels God is telling her to be "clean" in order to be "Godly," then that is wonderful.

The moment she begins telling others this is what God wants for them, well...not really. I have witnessed messy homes with dirty people. I have witnessed messy homes with some of the most serviceable and Christlike people.

Do you mean the idiocy about dirt on our bodies (and I love how everything these days is a 'toxin,' you can't just be dirty) trapping our spurts? Please.

As to a clean home and office environment, yes, as long as the efforts toward cleanliness do not become overzealous so that you alienate everyone around you (see: Felix Unger, see also: Dahlia's mother).

FYI- I didn't go to the link. I just responded to the thought of being clean spiritually. As Anddenex said, we shouldn't put burdens on ourselves that God didn't. We don't want to be legalistic like the Pharisees were.

Just watched part of the video. Decluttering can reduce stress, but I don't think having clutter is sin unless it is caused by sin- such as idolatry, etc... that leads to hoarding. If a de-cluttered house helps you focus on God- de-clutter. If not, don't sweat it.

Edited by Irishcolleen

Next time I take a shower it means I am getting closer to God lol a bit of dirt never did me any harm especially with my relationship with God , No harm in looking after yourself/self-respect but the bigger issue would be trying to purify the heart and if you need some routine like cleaning and cleansing for that then whatever works for you:)

Clear the pores of dirt that are traping your spirit???

I have a hard time picturing this lady hugging a dirty unkept child where I don't think the savior would hesitate to sweep him into his arms.

My Dad who just completed a two year temple service mission in Brazil said he feels closest to Heavenly Father outside the temple when his hands are in the earth (dirt/mud/soil) and he's covered in sweat (gardening).

I think my Dad's a Hobbit as he has "A love of peace and quiet and "good tilled" earth":detective:

And i am just curious to hear people's opinions this. [...]

I think it's silly. And I wonder what Bible translation she uses that has a verse reading, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Old Testamant or New? Who's placing bets?

I think it's silly. And I wonder what Bible translation she uses that has a verse reading, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Old Testamant or New? Who's placing bets?

True. While it is an age old adage, it is not a scripture. (I searched scriptures.lds.og to be doubly sure before posting this)

There are scriptures which say to maintain "a house of order" (D&C 88:119) and to keep "uncleanness far from you." (D&C 90:18) However, the notion that we are on a bad path if our physical cleanliness is not perfect enough, or that we are not doing it in the right way, is misguided. It's better to play with your children in the mud than to give them the impression that they'll go to hell if they don't take their shoes off before tracking a hint of dirt into the house.

• 4 weeks later...

More specifically about how the spirit in oven cleaners gold coast us gets clogged because of dirt, and that we more easily can be spiritual when having gone through a cleansing process like the one that she she explains?

I know that keeping clean and groomed, having your things organized and such in your home, does help.. at least for me. Im just wondering if taking it to the next level and doing this spiritual bathing oven cleaners brisbane often, really does make you connect more with the spirit.

Surely best way to live life is to eat healthy and keep our surrounding clean. We must not do any compromise with these two aspects

Edited by fadridrocky