Him-hawing

Bini

Since this affects the whole family, I decided to post this here. So for the past year I've been flirting on and off with the idea of returning to work. I have been unemployed for about 2 years now and I've been happily doing the stay-at-home-mama thing. I kind of sort of touched on this in another thread before the holidays. Well, here I am him-hawing over this again to renew my license and get my resume back out there. The thing is, I'm not entirely convinced that this is the time for me to do this, despite being excited for employment. I talked with my husband, and he's supportive, however he has some concerns with me working and doing the mum thing. I get what he's saying.. When I was a floor nurse, that got really tiresome at times, and there were days I wished a black hole would just open up and swallow me. But I told him that I'm uninterested in doing that again, and I'd rather be a case manager, which depending on the company may offer more flexible hours. Maybe this bug that keeps on biting me IS a sign? I just don't know. On the other hand, we both do like the idea of an extra income, that was nice. But then there's also all those other little details that would need to be ironed out, like daycare for our daughter, and how much it's worth me working and being away from home.

Anyway, just thinking out loud and could use some input from anyone else that's bounced back and forth with this kind of decision.

My two nurse friends work one 12-hour shift a week to keep their skills sharp and certifications up. Going back to work doesn't have to mean full-time. :)

That's part of it. I feel like if I choose to do this, that I'll need to jump all in taking up a busy workload. You know, all or nothing sort of deal. It's frustrating because I'll be content with the idea of "waiting a few years until baby is in school", and then, this him-hawing starts. I've prayed about this and I haven't felt that I've received a definite answer one way or the other. I suppose that means its ultimately up to me and DH.

Eowyn, any of your friends a school nurse?

The nurses in my ward work at the local hospital. For some reason it always seems to be on the med-surg floor, but one of them worked in the mother-baby care unit for awhile and another floated to wherever they needed her, but she said that was hard because she had to know procedure for all the different departments and only working once a week made that tricky. I've never known anyone who worked as a school nurse, but I know the ones here are very busy because they have 2 or 3 schools to cover, at least. Our education funding is abysmal. :(

Hiya, I am a mum of two 3yrs and 21mths, i am working partime and my partner is about to start work again fulltime and i really dont see a problem with you wanting to work if you like a little extraq money and what not go for it, just be aware that working and having children can be very overwhelming depending on what you are or want to do and how the child/ren is. Im sure your child will be fine in daycare i was more worried about the whole daycare thing until i found one i really liked then i was fine so maybe you just need to work out how much itll cost for her to go and just work things out slowly taking one little step at a time like i did and it was the best thing i ever done :)