I am studying D&C 67:10-14 in relation to D&C 84:19-22. The study has been most rewarding and enlightening but I've run into a wall today and I cannot find any authoritative (revelatory or scholarly) sources to answer the following question:

D&C 67 was given about two years after the approximate restoration date of the Melchizedek Priesthood. D&C 67 was given to Church leaders who were discussing the publication of important revelations as the "Book of Commandments." Some of these leaders felt the language of the revelations should be improved and the possibility was discussed at length. Presumably to resolve the discussion, Joseph Smith prayed to the Lord (an example of extreme humility) and received the revelation.

Verse 10 says "verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry..." but I cannot find anything that explains exactly to what "this ministry" refers. I assume it might refer to the general ordination to the Priesthood or to a specific office in the Priesthood. However, it might not. I have no certain way to know beside my own subjective thoughts and conclusions.

Does anybody have any input of the meaning of "this ministry" or any authoritative references regarding the same?

I think the ministry means exactly what it says, the ministry of the Gospel or missionary work. Joseph later wrote this about about the event:

"After the foregoing was received, William E. M’Lellin, as the wisest man, in his own

estimation, having more learning than sense, endeavored to write a commandment

like unto one of the least of the Lord’s, but failed; it was an awful responsibility to

write in the name of the Lord. The Elders and all present that witnessed this vain

attempt of a man to imitate the language of Jesus Christ, renewed their faith in the

fulness of the Gospel, and in the truth of the commandments and revelations which

the Lord had given to the Church through my instrumentality; and the Elders signified

a willingness to bear testimony of their truth to all the world." History of the Church 1:226

If you are doing a study of the Doctrine and Covenants, I would highly recommend this commentary: https://sites.google.com/site/hwsarc/system/app/pages/subPages?path=/home/dc

It is the most informative I have found (and I read a lot of commentaries) and does an excellent job in probing into the D/C

Thank you so much for your response! I finally found a source:

Elder Bruce R. McConkie in the October 1978 General Conference, referencing D&C 67:10, said, “It is our privilege even now—the privilege of all who hold the holy priesthood—if we will strip ourselves from jealousies and fears and humble ourselves before him, as he has said, to have the veil rent and see him and know that he is.”

Thus it refers to the Priesthood in general. This makes sense considering that all nine men present beside Joseph Smith in the November conference where Section 67 was received were ordained High Priests within the last six months. Most (6) had been ordained within the past week. Lyman Johnson had been ordained that very day during the conference! Of the remaining three, one had been ordained less than five weeks prior and the other two were ordained in June 1831 when Joseph started ordaining High Priests.

It makes even more sense in the light that only one man present (Sidney Rigdon) was under any particular call to missionary service and only two had ever actually served formal missions of which I am aware. (Oliver Cowdry and Peter Whitmer Jr.)

Thank you again for your reply! :)

I am studying D&C 67:10-14 in relation to D&C 84:19-22. The study has been most rewarding and enlightening but I've run into a wall today and I cannot find any authoritative (revelatory or scholarly) sources to answer the following question:

D&C 67 was given about two years after the approximate restoration date of the Melchizedek Priesthood. D&C 67 was given to Church leaders who were discussing the publication of important revelations as the "Book of Commandments." Some of these leaders felt the language of the revelations should be improved and the possibility was discussed at length. Presumably to resolve the discussion, Joseph Smith prayed to the Lord (an example of extreme humility) and received the revelation.

Verse 10 says "verily I say unto you that it is your privilege, and a promise I give unto you that have been ordained unto this ministry..." but I cannot find anything that explains exactly to what "this ministry" refers. I assume it might refer to the general ordination to the Priesthood or to a specific office in the Priesthood. However, it might not. I have no certain way to know beside my own subjective thoughts and conclusions.

Does anybody have any input of the meaning of "this ministry" or any authoritative references regarding the same?

I think it refers to what those brethren, "ye elders of my church" (verse 1) were foreordained to do as part of their calling. In other words, they were given the power to see beyond the natural man thoughts that were making them think the language was not good enough to see the spiritual message behind it. The revelation is reassuring the "elders of my church" that they have been given the privilege to see Him and know Him, "not with the carnal neither natural mind, but with the spiritual" mind. The calling which they were given includes the power and privilege of using the "spiritual mind" but only when they are sufficiently humble, as opposed to the natural mind which is what is making them think the language is not good enough.

I think this is actually a very powerful verse in that it solidifies what Paul and others talk about, their being two minds at play, the carnal or natural mind and the spiritual mind that we all contend with. The natural mind, of course, is the default thought generating source, whereas it takes a lot of effort to use the spiritual mind.

The ministry is exactly what they had a hard time seeing, explained in the last verse of that section; "Let not your minds turn back; and when ye are worthy, in mine own due time, ye shall see and know that which was conferred upon you by the hands of my servant Joseph Smith, Jun. Amen." "That which was conferred" is the ministry. Now that they see it, don't let "your minds turn back"; in other words don't let your brain turn away from the spiritual mind.