Keeping The Sabbath Day Holy Unless Something Really Cool is Happening

MorningStar

As hard as it may be to believe, not every religion puts the same emphasis on various commandments as we do. Through the evolution of their theology, the emphasis on Sabbath observance may not have been a priority.

Keep in mind, that some religions are as equally perplexed by some of the things we don't practice, such as Lent, or that we don't use wine in our sacrament. I think it's a little unfair to apply our interpretation and application of the commandments into the modern world to other belief structures.

There are plenty of other Christian churches that don't observe Lent, and there are others that use grape juice instead of wine. To many non-LDS Christians, Sabbath observance is only done at church, leaving the rest of the day to spend with family.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've missed some concerts I wanted to attend over the years. I might go to one if it was a farewell tour of my favorite band. I'd also go if it was in a bar/tavern etc. I don't have to consume alcohol while I'm there. In fact most venues I've gone to alcohol has been served. Why should it matter if it was a bar or USANA?

I've also participated in events due to unusual circumstances. Like next week I'll be on a cruise on Sunday. Should I skip out on all the events/activities because it is Sunday? That would be silly.

I think you should wait until Monday to go on the cruise. :) J/k of course. I've been on vacations over Sundays and at that point there is no way that I could have avoided restaurants or purchasing gas.

My husband and I used to go round and round when we were dating. We noticed that there was always a large amount of people at The Olive Garden right after church in Provo. It surprised me that that many people thought it was OK to go to a restaurant on the Sabbath. He said, "Well, it shouldn't be open on Sundays." I said, "It's a non-LDS business. If there's a demand for it, then it will be open on Sundays. People should stop going and then they'll close on Sundays." "No, they should just close it so people don't have to work." "No, if people stop coming, they'll realize it's not worth the money to pay people to work and use all of that electricity when no one is eating." :lol: We did agree that we wouldn't be eating out on Sundays.

I remember my shock back in 1985 when I was moving to Logan. My non-member mother accompanied me on the drive and was going to fly home. It was a Sabbath morning near Logan and we were still in a hotel, so we went out for breakfast. At a nearby table we heard a lady and a bunch of children talking about something LDS. As they were getting ready to leave my Mom turned and asked the Sister if those were all her children, to which she laughed and admitted that they were her Valiant class. My mother looked shocked to think that LDS would chose to eat out on the Sabbath. The teacher explained that the students had completed a project a meal at this restaurant was their reward. They were supposed to have the meal on a previous day, but something came up and Sunday was the only day they could all get together so here they were. I spent the remainder of the morning explaining to my mother that the organization of the Church is perfect, but the people aren't.

Guest gopecon

As hard as it may be to believe, not every religion puts the same emphasis on various commandments as we do. Through the evolution of their theology, the emphasis on Sabbath observance may not have been a priority.

Keep in mind, that some religions are as equally perplexed by some of the things we don't practice, such as Lent, or that we don't use wine in our sacrament. I think it's a little unfair to apply our interpretation and application of the commandments into the modern world to other belief structures.

You think it is unfair to expect that other Christians should be expected to follow one of the 10 Commandments? I understand that the Sabbath is not as easily defined as stealing or killing - I don't look down my nose at people who don't follow it exactly as I do (not that I am perfect in it myself). I'll also grant that the Lord will probably allow for how we are taught to observe it when we are judged. That said, I don't think this means that anything goes if you are not an uptight Mormon. I think that the Lord expects some effort and thought about what this commandment means from anyone who claims to be a follower of His.

I don't get the reference to Lent. It's an extra-biblical tradition that many follow, but nowhere on the level of a commandment. Likewise our using water instead of wine - I've had people ask why, but I don't think anyone has ever thought too much of it.

You think it is unfair to expect that other Christians should be expected to follow one of the 10 Commandments? I understand that the Sabbath is not as easily defined as stealing or killing - I don't look down my nose at people who don't follow it exactly as I do (not that I am perfect in it myself). I'll also grant that the Lord will probably allow for how we are taught to observe it when we are judged. That said, I don't think this means that anything goes if you are not an uptight Mormon. I think that the Lord expects some effort and thought about what this commandment means from anyone who claims to be a follower of His.

I don't get the reference to Lent. It's an extra-biblical tradition that many follow, but nowhere on the level of a commandment. Likewise our using water instead of wine - I've had people ask why, but I don't think anyone has ever thought too much of it.

I think it's completely fair to expect other Christians to follow one of the 10 Commandments. I don't think it's fair to question the validity of their practice because they haven't spent as much time developing extra-biblical traditions around Sabbath day observance as Mormonism has.

Guest gopecon

Exodus 20 - 9: Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Not working or having others work for you is very much a biblical idea. I think it is a credit to the LDS people that we take the Sabbath seriously enough to discuss what should and should not be done. Is there a danger of becoming pharisaical about it? Sure, but I think in most cases (probably myself included) we are probably more lax about it than we are strict and pharisaical.

Exodus 20 - 9: Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

Not working or having others work for you is very much a biblical idea. I think it is a credit to the LDS people that we take the Sabbath seriously enough to discuss what should and should not be done. Is there a danger of becoming pharisaical about it? Sure, but I think in most cases (probably myself included) we are probably more lax about it than we are strict and pharisaical.

Yep, I have no worries of being confused as a Pharisee...if anything, heathen would more describe me and my family. :lol:

Based on what I have personally witnessed and heard from members and family, I have issues with the imaginary list of do's and don'ts of Sabbath day worship. It sometimes amuses me, and sometimes annoys me, how self-righteous they can get about the way that they observe the Sabbath.

They don't go swimming, they don't go fishing (and so forth)...but they might play video games that are violent, and they might watch TV shows that are far from Sabbath-worthy, or any day worthy. <rolling my eyes>

I think it might be more reverent to relax in a pool or relax on a boat while enjoying nature on the Sabbath than being glued to a TV, computer, iPad/iPhone, and so forth.

But what do I know...I am just a good ol' heathen. :D

See, this is where I still have issues. I don't see anything wrong with enjoying some intellectual stimulation on Sunday - going to a museum, hearing a concert, etc. I might have to think hard as to whether seeing a band is quite the same as seeing a Van Gogh, however.

Now, as a female who rarely drank and dislikes drunks and where they congregate, I wouldn't want to go to a tavern to hear the band. The venue might nix it for me. But if the band played at the high school gym or a non-tavern venue, I might have to think about it.

Based on what I have personally witnessed and heard from members and family, I have issues with the imaginary list of do's and don'ts of Sabbath day worship. It sometimes amuses me, and sometimes annoys me, how self-righteous they can get about the way that they observe the Sabbath.

They don't go swimming, they don't go fishing (and so forth)...but they might play video games that are violent, and they might watch TV shows that are far from Sabbath-worthy, or any day worthy. <rolling my eyes>

I think it might be more reverent to relax in a pool or relax on a boat while enjoying nature on the Sabbath than being glued to a TV, computer, iPad/iPhone, and so forth.

But what do I know...I am just a good ol' heathen. :D

We're Heathens too! I have had trouble with feeling like my Sabbath observance is not "good enough" for some other members in our ward. I feel like I have to gloss over if we do something together, rather than stay in our good clothes all day and have naps. That just doesn't work for us and I don't like feeling judged for choosing differently. My husband often works 6 days a week, on his only day off, after church, and after he has fulfilled the responsibilities of his calling, before the evening firesides etc. we like to take the kids to the park, or tobogganing, or for a hike, or even go fishing and roast hot dogs on a campfire. We don't do anything that requires others to work, we focus on spending time together, and we try to get outdoors and appreciate nature which is something that doesn't happen enough for us nowadays. I personally find it more refreshing, and reverent than bored kids squabbling and me breaking up fights all afternoon. It's often our only long block of family time in a week, especially in the summer when my husband is busiest. I think that strengthening our family is the most important work we can be doing on a Sunday at this time in our lives, so I gave up on following other people's rules, and try to ensure that we are honouring the spirit of keeping the Sabbath in a way that also works for us.

I have been debating whether or not to share this, however I wonder at times how the Lord feels when we purposely do something we know to be "sin" -- and then come home a rely upon the atonement.

In this situations, and choices I have made, although I stick by my first comment -- moral agency is requisite for us to honor in everybody's life, I wonder why sometimes, myself included, we act in a manner that specifically uses the atonement as a blessing to commit sin, rather than its intended purpose -- to overcome sin.

We know breaking the Sabbath is sin, yet, how often do we come to a cross road knowing which choice would be sin, and then we say something to this nature, "Well, nobody's perfect -- thank goodness for the atonement."

Sorry to be a downer, but these have been some of my first thoughts in relation to this post.

I have been debating whether or not to share this, however I wonder at times how the Lord feels when we purposely do something we know to be "sin" -- and then come home a rely upon the atonement.

In this situations, and choices I have made, although I stick by my first comment -- moral agency is requisite for us to honor in everybody's life, I wonder why sometimes, myself included, we act in a manner that specifically uses the atonement as a blessing to commit sin, rather than its intended purpose -- to overcome sin.

We know breaking the Sabbath is sin, yet, how often do we come to a cross road knowing which choice would be sin, and then we say something to this nature, "Well, nobody's perfect -- thank goodness for the atonement."

Sorry to be a downer, but these have been some of my first thoughts in relation to this post.

Those are good thoughts for personal introspection.

But I still think that God, being a die hard Red Sox fan, would be at Game 7 on a Sunday. :P

I feel the same. I was thinking about The Ten Commandments and how this seems to be the one with the most rationalized exceptions.

I agree. And how many of us actually pray about our Sabbath day observance, and then wait for the prompting/guidance of the Spirit? How many then follow further by following that prompting/guidance?

Not to be a downer either, but I thought about the last time (if ever) that I have actually asked the Lord about the manner in which my family observes--or should observe--the Sabbath.

I thought we were following the Spirit, as I have not felt WRONG about what we do, but then again...I have not actually asked Him either if what we are doing is right.

Hmmmm....

I agree with whoever said they would voice their opinion on the matter and let the spouse choose.

I've been faced with this issue many times. I LOVE live concerts, especially in smaller venues. Every Sunday night a little pub in Nashville has some pretty awesome bands that I would love to see live. So far I've been able to resist, but it's getting hard.

I don't see any problems with going to bars to see bands. I've dealt with more drunk and unruly people at concert venues more so than the bars.

Rhetorical question:

To those who are saying that it's inappropriate to go to the concert (or, insert your favorite vice here), how many of you watch the Superbowl year after year?

I don't really care if you do, and I don't judge those that do. I don't watch it because I don't enjoy football, and I don't care enough about the commercials. But if I liked football, I'd probably be watching it.

I just wonder...if you watch the Superbowl but are arguing against the concert concept, how do you differentiate?

Rhetorical question:

To those who are saying that it's inappropriate to go to the concert (or, insert your favorite vice here), how many of you watch the Superbowl year after year?

I don't really care if you do, and I don't judge those that do. I don't watch it because I don't enjoy football, and I don't care enough about the commercials. But if I liked football, I'd probably be watching it.

I just wonder...if you watch the Superbowl but are arguing against the concert concept, how do you differentiate?

I don't watch it. If I did like it, I would record it and watch it later.

I don't differentiate, however if I were to choose an element of justification, actually a better word would be rationalization -- the superbowl is free (at least on TV) and an opportunity to spend time with friends.

Also, last time I heard, baseball is America's sport, basketball and footballl are Heaven's sports -- I can speak with abosulte certainty this is the case.:P

Edited by Anddenex

I really like this part of this talk:

When he was 16 years old, Brother Christensen decided, among other things, that he would not play sports on Sunday. Years later, when he attended Oxford University in England, he played center on the basketball team. That year they had an undefeated season and went through to the British equivalent of what in the United States would be the NCAA basketball tournament.

They won their games fairly easily in the tournament, making it to the final four. It was then that Brother Christensen looked at the schedule and, to his absolute horror, saw that the final basketball game was scheduled to be played on a Sunday. He and the team had worked so hard to get where they were, and he was the starting center. He went to his coach with his dilemma. His coach was unsympathetic and told Brother Christensen he expected him to play in the game.

Prior to the final game, however, there was a semifinal game. Unfortunately, the backup center dislocated his shoulder, which increased the pressure on Brother Christensen to play in the final game. He went to his hotel room. He knelt down. He asked his Heavenly Father if it would be all right, just this once, if he played that game on Sunday. He said that before he had finished praying, he received the answer: “Clayton, what are you even asking me for? You know the answer.”

He went to his coach, telling him how sorry he was that he wouldn’t be playing in the final game. Then he went to the Sunday meetings in the local ward while his team played without him. He prayed mightily for their success. They did win.

That fateful, difficult decision was made more than 30 years ago. Brother Christensen has said that as time has passed, he considers it one of the most important decisions he ever made. It would have been very easy to have said, “You know, in general, keeping the Sabbath day holy is the right commandment, but in my particular extenuating circumstance, it’s okay, just this once, if I don’t do it.” However, he says his entire life has turned out to be an unending stream of extenuating circumstances, and had he crossed the line just that once, then the next time something came up that was so demanding and critical, it would have been so much easier to cross the line again. The lesson he learned is that it is easier to keep the commandments 100 percent of the time than it is 98 percent of the time.13

There are lots of things I would like to do on the Sabbath because I get bored, or maybe it's really hot and I want to go swimming, but then I would feel like I'm telling God, "This is more important than you." He has given us everything and we're asked to devote one day of the week to Him.

I've told this before. In my mom's ward, we listened to this guy ramble on and on and on about how much he loves golf and how one day he hurt his arm and was devastated because he couldn't play golf. For about 10 minutes during testimony meeting, we waited for him to get to the point and he finally said, "Brothers and sisters, I can't promise you I won't play golf on Sundays, but I can promise you that I will be here."

Basically, he got up in testimony meeting to say that his love of golf outweighed the importance of the Sabbath. It's a commandment, but it doesn't seem to be taken seriously enough. I think if we take a look at which things we struggle not to do on Sundays the most, it can open our eyes to what our idols are - where our lives are out of balance.

My grandpa was told in his Patriarchal Blessing that he would have a vision of the pre-existence, which finally happened when he was quite old and had trouble communicating due to his stroke. He woke up crying and had a brief moment that he was able to explain everything to my grandma and he held up the program from an exhibit they had visited. He had been very excited about it, but he pointed to it and said, "This. This means nothing." He opened up a chapter in The Book of Mormon to explain part of what he had seen. He wept as he talked about all of the blessings they had been given.

I think about that a lot. We place a lot of importance on things that mean nothing in eternity. And then we laugh it off when we decide to break the Sabbath, even though we have covenanted to keep the commandments. You don't hear LDS people saying, "I only steal once in a while." "I only commit adultery once a year when this especially attractive person comes into town."

That being said, I struggle in my Sabbath observance and am always wondering how I could do better.

I don't differentiate, however if I were to choose an element of justification, actually a better word would be rationalization -- the superbowl is free (at least on TV) and an opportunity to spend time with friends.

It's free...ish. Your viewing funds the people playing, broadcasting, etc,., doesn't it? Just sayin... :)

I don't have a problem with the "time with friends" thing. I let my daughter play outside on Sunday afternoon in the Summer, because we've got a great neighborhood with lots of kids her age. Her best friend is a daycare kid, and we don't get to see her much during the week, but she's always home on Sundays.

Anyway, it was just something to think about. I'll be watching the Oscars tonight, at a friend's house. I watch TV on Sundays regularly. I don't go shopping or to the movies, etc. There have been a number of times I've been interested in a concert on a Sunday, but never excited enough about it to debate myself about going. I do pretty well with outward appearances with regard to the Sabbath, but I'm not very good at the Spirit of it, within my own home.

It's free...ish. Your viewing funds the people playing, broadcasting, etc,., doesn't it? Just sayin... :)

Agreed, that is why tried to also highlight "(at least on TV)" in my comment. I haven't watched the Superbowl for 3 years now, not really interested in it anymore.

I prefer going over to friend's house and hanging out, enjoying friendship, more than the football game.

Anyway, it was just something to think about. I'll be watching the Oscars tonight, at a friend's house. I watch TV on Sundays regularly. I don't go shopping or to the movies, etc. There have been a number of times I've been interested in a concert on a Sunday, but never excited enough about it to debate myself about going. I do pretty well with outward appearances with regard to the Sabbath, but I'm not very good at the Spirit of it, within my own home.

My children love Funniest Home Videos and when we can we watch it on Sunday. I don't think anyone is perfect in this commandment of keeping the Sabbath day holy.

As a result of this thread, actually for the past couple of days I have been wanting to sit down with my wife, and two oldest who have been baptized to discuss this topic and really decide what is ok or isn't.

I must admit, some activities, which if determined are Sabbath breaking, I will have a hard time setting aside.