Mormon Marijuana Smokers

bigernflo

Hi,

I am an active member of the church and I smoke Marijuana everyday. I view Marijuana as something that is very benificial to mankind. It has help me combat my depression and anxiety issues. More so than any other prescribed drug. I started this thread so that other Mormon Marijuana Smokers can express their feelings without judgment.

I am an active member of the church and I smoke Marijuana everyday. I view Marijuana as something that is very benificial to mankind. It has help me combat my depression and anxiety issues. More so than any other prescribed drug. I started this thread so that other Mormon Marijuana Smokers can express their feelings without judgment.

What about those of us who want to express judgment?

What about those of us who want to express judgment?

They always have The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I suppose:

Be smart. Do not be so shortsighted as to indulge in the use of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs. It simply is not smart to do so. It is stupid, if you will pardon that harsh word, to use cocaine, marijuana, or any of the other drugs that rob you of control of your mind.

Link: Four B's for Boys - Ensign Nov. 1981 - ensign

Edited by Dravin

I like having full control of my faculties, I enjoy what motivation I have, and I certainly don't need another reason to have the munchies.

Three good reasons right there that I have enough trouble with already. Dont need drugs to mess me up more!!

So, OP, when you use drugs and read scriptures, do the scriptures tell you that you are getting great understanding? After the drug wears off do you remember the understanding you received? After, do you feel like jumping up and doing what needs to be done in your life or do you feel more like needing/wanting another joint?

I don't oppose to people using marijuana under the advice of a competent physician. There appear to be cases of mental illness and depression where the patient responds well to the chemicals released through marijuana.

I do have concerns about self medication and self directed use.

Though this isn't a marijuana use story, it's kind of similar.

One of the assistant scoutmasters in my troop suffers from a severe form of depression. When his depression is really affecting him, he tends to become verbally aggressive and offensive. He's aware of the problem, but has a very difficult time controlling himself when in a depressive cycle. He developed a smoking habit when he was young and found that the nicotine helped calm him in stressful situations and helped him develop better relations with people around him.

When his oldest son was born 12 years ago, he decided it was time to quit smoking. This was a challenge for him. Not only was it difficult to give up the nicotine, but he became verbally vicious to those around him with a very short temper. He hated this about himself, which triggered his depression, which made him even more vicious and short tempered, which put him further in depression.........you get the idea.

So after 12 long years of trying to quit smoking, he's mostly kicked the habit with a cigarette every now and again (I forget if he said it was every few weeks or every few months). But the only way he makes it is with the use of nicorette (nicotine gum). When he starts getting stressed, he pops in some gum and it helps calm him.

I don't know if this man will ever be able to fully overcome his depression, whether through chemical intervention or otherwise. While he tries, I"m certainly not going to begrudge him his Nicorette or the occasional cigarette. I think it's better for him to have more positive interactions and not hate himself than to break his addiction to nicotine at this time.

Circling back to marijuana...under the care of a physician, I'd feel the same way about a person using marijuana.

Since the pot reefer-endum passed in WA, I have noticed several times walking around Seattle that someone reeks of marijuana smoke. I haven't really smelled weed very much since high school, and even then it was pretty rare. Man, it's truly disgusting to smell, worse than BO.

Since the pot reefer-endum passed in WA, I have noticed several times walking around Seattle that someone reeks of marijuana smoke. I haven't really smelled weed very much since high school, and even then it was pretty rare. Man, it's truly disgusting to smell, worse than BO.

Our backdoor neighbors used to keep the dealers happy around here. They are set back about 1800 feet yet the stench was overwhelming in our house. The husband has since passed away and while I am not happy about that it has been nice to not smell the smoke. It really does smell awful.

Hi,

Unless you have a prescription for it I see some WoW issues.

There are temple recommend holding individuals that use medical marijuana.

In the cases I know of, it is never smoked. The individuals also use it instead of harsher drugs that would be prescribed to them. They also do it with the support of their physician (not just the dr who prescribes marijuana).

As far as I know, it's left to the bishop to decide by the spirit if the individual is doing it as intended as a medicine or just to get high.

I don't oppose to people using marijuana under the advice of a competent physician. There appear to be cases of mental illness and depression where the patient responds well to the chemicals released through marijuana.

I do have concerns about self medication and self directed use.

Though this isn't a marijuana use story, it's kind of similar.

One of the assistant scoutmasters in my troop suffers from a severe form of depression. When his depression is really affecting him, he tends to become verbally aggressive and offensive. He's aware of the problem, but has a very difficult time controlling himself when in a depressive cycle. He developed a smoking habit when he was young and found that the nicotine helped calm him in stressful situations and helped him develop better relations with people around him.

When his oldest son was born 12 years ago, he decided it was time to quit smoking. This was a challenge for him. Not only was it difficult to give up the nicotine, but he became verbally vicious to those around him with a very short temper. He hated this about himself, which triggered his depression, which made him even more vicious and short tempered, which put him further in depression.........you get the idea.

So after 12 long years of trying to quit smoking, he's mostly kicked the habit with a cigarette every now and again (I forget if he said it was every few weeks or every few months). But the only way he makes it is with the use of nicorette (nicotine gum). When he starts getting stressed, he pops in some gum and it helps calm him.

I don't know if this man will ever be able to fully overcome his depression, whether through chemical intervention or otherwise. While he tries, I"m certainly not going to begrudge him his Nicorette or the occasional cigarette. I think it's better for him to have more positive interactions and not hate himself than to break his addiction to nicotine at this time.

Circling back to marijuana...under the care of a physician, I'd feel the same way about a person using marijuana.

Thank you for actually having something usefull to say. Although I feel there is big difference between Marijuana and cigarettes. I appreciate you for not being judgemental.

I do not feel that Marijuana is something that is "evil" or a sin. Or even something that is against the word of wisdom. Just because you smoke it doesn't automatically make it against the word of wisdom. If it is harmful to the body then it something to be avoided. Marijuana is not harmfull to the body, and I truly believe our Father in heaven created this plant for medical purposes and for our enjoyment. I have just been taught and it is my testimony, that all things on this earth where created by God and that if something is good it also must have come from Him. With my experience with Marijuana I have come to the conclusion that it is something that is good. So therfore if it is good then it must come from God for a certain purpose.

Before using I felt like I couldn't do anything. That I had no potential for anything. I had no desire to even get out of bed. I was the sterotypical pot head stoner who had never used even used it yet. However since using this plant I am on my way to getting married and starting a family, I finally have a possitive attitude and have the desire to live. The first thing I do in the morning as soon as the alarm goes off, I take a hit and it gets me going for the day. Kinda like coffee I guess. But it doesnt give me energy it changes my way of thinking from today sucks to today is the day I go out and achieve something.

Hi bigernflo,

So, where do you get your weed? Do you know a local grower, or do you roll your dice with something that comes from south of the border?

If the latter, I'd like to hear you talk about how it's ok to line the pockets of the transnational criminal cartels that do business in kidnapping, murder, and child sex slavery.

Hi bigernflo,

So, where do you get your weed? Do you know a local grower, or do you roll your dice with something that comes from south of the border?

If the latter, I'd like to hear you talk about how it's ok to line the pockets of the transnational criminal cartels that do business in kidnapping, murder, and child sex slavery.

5th amendment. But I will say I know exactly what I am getting. And no being here at drug cartel ground zero in the southwest border states, I do not think any of that is okay.

That is why I support the decriminalization of drugs. That way the drug lords have no illegal business. And instead of all our tax dollars going to the war on drugs, which is a complete failure, it can go toward getting these people medical help. Because that is what it is. A medical issue not a law enforcement issue. Many people who start using drugs are people with mental illness, like myself. We need to get doctors involved and keep the law out of it.

We have prisons filled with non-violent drug users. And we have streets filled with violent gang bangers because drugs are such a high commodity and in such high demand. It's in high demand because it's illegal. Make it legal it lowers the demand. Why? It is readily available. You can tax it. Gain income instead of wasting money. I believe it's time we change and actually get a handle on the real criminals out there. The ones that steal or rob your house. Those that take advantage of the weak. Those that hurt people and take from others.

5th amendment.

So the fact that men, women, and children die for your entertainment is of no consequence.

That is why I support the decriminalization of drugs.

Now, be honest. The real reason you support decriminalization of drugs is because it would make it easier and cheaper for you to get high. All that other stuff is of minor consequence to you, as you showed in your "fifth amendment" comment.

I believe it's time we change and actually get a handle on the real criminals out there. The ones that steal or rob your house. Those that take advantage of the weak. Those that hurt people and take from others.

Oh please...yeh let's make it legal. But speaking from someone that has had every single thing of value stolen from me from a son who is a drug user to support his habit..your statement is totally out of reality and ridiculous. So many criminals are doing other things because of the usage of drugs legal or not.