Mormon Marijuana Smokers

bigernflo

5th amendment. But I will say I know exactly what I am getting. And no being here at drug cartel ground zero in the southwest border states, I do not think any of that is okay.

That is why I support the decriminalization of drugs. That way the drug lords have no illegal business. And instead of all our tax dollars going to the war on drugs, which is a complete failure, it can go toward getting these people medical help. Because that is what it is. A medical issue not a law enforcement issue. Many people who start using drugs are people with mental illness, like myself. We need to get doctors involved and keep the law out of it.

We have prisons filled with non-violent drug users. And we have streets filled with violent gang bangers because drugs are such a high commodity and in such high demand. It's in high demand because it's illegal. Make it legal it lowers the demand. Why? It is readily available. You can tax it. Gain income instead of wasting money. I believe it's time we change and actually get a handle on the real criminals out there. The ones that steal or rob your house. Those that take advantage of the weak. Those that hurt people and take from others.

Let me just bring up the minor issue of smoking marijuana being against church standards, via the Word of Wisdom. Countless times the General Authorities have come down strongly against the use of it, or any other recreational drug.

What you have posted is a rational explanation for why the world thinks it's okay to smoke pot. Yet in all the threads we've had on this matter, nobody has been able to produce a single scriptural, doctrinal, or spiritual support for it. It is clear that smoking pot is contrary to the church standards, and thus against God's will.

If I were to assume that you and I agree on God's will being superior to man's laws, would you be able to demonstrate how smoking weed is okay in God's eyes?

Call me crazy, but until something like this is expressly accepted according to official church doctrine, I'm not even considering it.

Let me just bring up the minor issue of smoking marijuana being against church standards, via the Word of Wisdom. Countless times the General Authorities have come down strongly against the use of it, or any other recreational drug.

What you have posted is a rational explanation for why the world thinks it's okay to smoke pot. Yet in all the threads we've had on this matter, nobody has been able to produce a single scriptural, doctrinal, or spiritual support for it. It is clear that smoking pot is contrary to the church standards, and thus against God's will.

If I were to assume that you and I agree on God's will being superior to man's laws, would you be able to demonstrate how smoking weed is okay in God's eyes?

Call me crazy, but until something like this is expressly accepted according to official church doctrine, I'm not even considering it.

RB, this is a man who feels not the slightest moral responsibility for the death and misery his recreational choices cause innocents. I cannot but doubt that he gives a rat's anus for the supremacy of God's will.

So the fact that men, women, and children die for your entertainment is of no consequence.

Now, be honest. The real reason you support decriminalization of drugs is because it would make it easier and cheaper for you to get high. All that other stuff is of minor consequence to you, as you showed in your "fifth amendment" comment.

You must have read that wrong. I do not support any of that for my "entertainment" which is not why I use Marijuana. I use it for my depression and anxiety.

You must have read that wrong. I do not support any of that for my "entertainment" which is not why I use Marijuana. I use it for my depression and anxiety.

Which, of course, is why you "pleaded the Fifth" in your previous comment.

Good and I am not saying you should smoke pot. I started this thread not to debate though I felt on some replies that I needed to defend myself. All I wanted is test and see if other members would judge me for believing in something.

If I could get Marijuana medically I would but I can't. True I did try pot for the first time because friends of mine had said how awesome it was. However the next day I research it. I resarched it because that is what the church taught me. Find out for yourself what is true and what is right. I continue to use Marijuana because I have not found, through personal use and research, that it is not harmful to the body. My first experience was with medical cannabis in Califonia luckily. And have only gotten medical grade cannabis since.

It's been a long time since I posted on lds.net but then I saw this thread. I'm on my second week of sobriety from a six year daily weed habit and all the things I lied to myself about why I used marijuana has gotten so much better. I started smoking pot because I was having severe migraines and I got to the point where I just wanted the pain to go away, and it did but then I was smoking for my anxiety and then just to unwind next thing I know I'm smoking every single day, wake up and smoke, go to work and smoke, come home and smoke, I've been in a haze for six years and I feel so much better now that I quit. I think the worst part was that I suffered spiritually because of it. You cannot be an active latterday saint and go around high all the time.

It's been a long time since I posted on lds.net but then I saw this thread. I'm on my second week of sobriety from a six year daily weed habit and all the things I lied to myself about why I used marijuana has gotten so much better. I started smoking pot because I was having severe migraines and I got to the point where I just wanted the pain to go away, and it did but then I was smoking for my anxiety and then just to unwind next thing I know I'm smoking every single day, wake up and smoke, go to work and smoke, come home and smoke, I've been in a haze for six years and I feel so much better now that I quit. I think the worst part was that I suffered spiritually because of it. You cannot be an active latterday saint and go around high all the time.

Congratulations to you. Keep it up!!

But I will say I know exactly what I am getting. And no being here at drug cartel ground zero in the southwest border states, I do not think any of that is okay.

Every single time you buy a joint, you are explicitly stating, loudly and clearly, to us, the cartels, and your Father in heaven, that you do indeed think it's ok enough. You do business with kidnapers and murderers. You trade money for product with people who steal or buy children and smuggle them into other countries to be used and discarded in the sex trade. You support those activities with your money.

You want to fight to legalize it, to make it legal to grow locally - you go right ahead. But you come here and start some thread about expressing feelings without being judged?

Let me tell you a little story. My wife has been able to work with some of these kids. The cops called her in one day - they had a wild one for her. She went in, and saw a girl handcuffed to a table. The cops caught her robbing a store. She stabbed the first two cops, and eventually needed to be tased. She didn't speak english, and violently attacked anyone that came within arm's length. She was around 15 years old, weighed maybe 80 lbs, and was dying of liver failure due to meth addiction. They eventually found out she spoke a little spanish. She had been smuggled in by some cartel as a prepubescent child, sold for sex, and eventually escaped. She didn't know where she came from, so nobody could figure out which country they should deport her to. All she knew for certain, was she came from a place where the bad guys wore uniforms - that's why she stabbed the cops - she thought she was fighting for her life.

I hope you find the easing of your depression and anxiety worth it.

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

I would like to talk to you more about this since you have actually used before.

If I could get Marijuana medically I would but I can't. True I did try pot for the first time because friends of mine had said how awesome it was. However the next day I research it. I resarched it because that is what the church taught me. Find out for yourself what is true and what is right. I continue to use Marijuana because I have not found, through personal use and research, that it is not harmful to the body. My first experience was with medical cannabis in Califonia luckily. And have only gotten medical grade cannabis since.

I think you misinterpret what the church has taught us. I don't for one moment think that they meant to search the internet and if you can find 10 websites that state marijuana causes no harmful side effects then it's okay.

They have told us to search, ponder and pray. It is still against the Word of Wisdom. Whether your research states there is nothing harmful about it is beside the point.

That is why I support the decriminalization of drugs. That way the drug lords have no illegal business.

This is, hands down, the single stupidest comment I've seen on this website- an achievement in and of itself.

Cigarettes are legal in every state of the union- yet 60% of those sold and smoked in New York city are illegally smuggled.

Six million Chinese counterfeit cigarettes were seized in a single raid in Manhattan.

And that's for a legal product.

If you're going to post here, please be sober when you do so.

Medical marijuana is indeed legal in some states: transferring or obtaining prescription drugs under false pretenses, however, remains a felony.

Congratulations: your "innocent" little past-time has already turned you into a self-confessed criminal.

Well done!

"Not harmful to the body"- newsflash: not all harm is physiological.

A great deal of the harm you are doing to yourself is psychological, and more fundamentally, moral.

The fact that you are here arguing that something the Church has explicitly rejected and cautioned against is somehow justifiable is a classic example of "calling evil 'good' and 'good evil'."

You are here agitating to justify your sin and persuade others to think as you do.

You are hear proclaiming the false notion recounted in 2 Nephi:

"8 And there shall also be many which shall say: Eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God—he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, lie a little, take the advantage of one because of his words, dig a pit for thy neighbor; there is no harm in this; and do all these things, for tomorrow we die; and if it so be that we are guilty, God will beat us with a few stripes, and at last we shall be saved in the kingdom of God."

Aside from the board rules against proselyting, this behavior, too, is Scripturally and morally indefensible.

With any luck the moderators will quickly awaken to a remembrance that this is a family board, not Craigslist.

Edited by selek

Okay, okay;

Most everyone who has posted on this thread has made it very clear that they don't support bigernflos' marijuana smoking.....

But, can we stop with the name calling? (doper and "stupidest comment made.....")?

I really appreciate LMM"s comments. It's very clear that he doesn't support the smoking of pot. But, he has been respectful in what he's had to say.

And, while I do not support the smoking of marijuana (I don't do it, either) I have a person in my life, whom I love dearly, that does it very often himself. This is to self medicate for pain.

I think it's really easy to be rude to bigernflo about this. Most of us don't agree with him. Yet, I have seen very little compassion expressed for what he's trying to deal with. More so ridicule for the arguments he has expressed in favour of legalising it. Seriously, are you posting this thinking you're really going to help him, or for some other reason?

Just sayin'

Dove

And, while I do not support the smoking of marijuana (I don't do it, either) I have a person in my life, whom I love dearly, that does it very often himself. This is to self medicate for pain.

While I sympathize with your pain Dove, this is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Your loved one is not here (on a family and LDS board) teaching false doctrine, promoting the habit, and bearing false witness (by using the Church in an attempt to justify his breaking of the law).

Your loved one is not trying to subvert the teachings of the Church in order to justify sin.

I think it's really easy to be rude to bigernflo about this. Most of us don't agree with him. Yet, I have seen very little compassion expressed for what he's trying to deal with. More so ridicule for the arguments he has expressed in favour of legalising it. Seriously, are you posting this thinking you're really going to help him, or for some other reason?

We, as Latter-day Saints are commanded to repudiate false doctrine when it is presented to us.

I don't believe for a moment we can help bigernflo. He is unrepentant and militant in justifying his sin.

By his own admission, he did not come here with questions, but with an agenda- not to learn, but to preach the Gospel According to BigernFlo.

Therefore the only thing we can do is expose his position for the damnable mockery that it is.

Thank you, Selek, for your respectful response.

I'm not saying it's wrong to disagree with him, just pointing out "how" we disagree is important.....

I believe kindness and respect is always better than another way......I believe it is becoming of a follower of Christ to not put another person down for their beliefs. I think of Doctrine and Covenants 50:30-33, which teaches us how to deal with an evil spirit;

"Wherefore, it shall come to pass, that if you behold a spirit manifested that you cannot understand, and you receive not that spirit, ye shall ask of the Father in the name of Jesus; and if He give not unto you that spirit, then you may know that it is not of God. And it shall be given unto you power over that spirit; and you shall proclaim against that spirit with a loud voice that it is not of God- Not with railing accusation, that ye be not overcome, neither with boasting, nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith."

I think these verses are important to teaching us how to deal with others who we disagree with. Not rudely; but, firmly.....

Dove

Good and I am not saying you should smoke pot. I started this thread not to debate though I felt on some replies that I needed to defend myself. All I wanted is test and see if other members would judge me for believing in something.

Let me try this one more time. Nowhere in any part of official LDS doctrine will you find an iota of acceptance for the use of pot. Every time the General Authorities have mentioned it, it has been in direct and unmistakable terms that the use of pot is contrary to the will of God, and is thus not accepted behavior by members of the church.

What I have read from you before is the world's rationalization for why it should be okay to use. What I have read from you above is your personal rationalization for going against what you know to be God's will.

Yes we are to search out the truth for ourselves. Am I to believe that your experimentation with pot should immediately overrule nearly 50 years of clear and unwavering statements from the leaders of the church that it is not acceptable? Am I to believe you thoroughly studied both sides of the issue before deciding to try it out? Ultimately I suppose you could have, though in the face of all the many pages of references I found against the use of pot on lds.org, I doubt many would try it out after reading so many inspired statements.

So what if you believe it's harmless? So what if the entire world thinks that smoking pot is a perfectly normal and healthy thing to do? God said 'no'. Will you obey God or not? That's what the real crux of this issue is. It has nothing to do with what marijuana actually does/does not do to the human body. It has to do with obedience and trust in our creator.

No rationalization will stand when we are all done with this life. We will have either been obedient or we will have not been obedient. There is no gray area for the world's excuses.

We, as Latter-day Saints are commanded to repudiate false doctrine when it is presented to us.

I don't believe for a moment we can help bigernflo. He is unrepentant and militant in justifying his sin.

By his own admission, he did not come here with questions, but with an agenda- not to learn, but to preach the Gospel According to BigernFlo.

Therefore the only thing we can do is expose his position for the damnable mockery that it is.

Yeah exposing false doctrine is a lot different than ridiculing the person and making him look like a joke and not worth anything. D&C 18 The worth of souls are great in the sight of God. Implied is every single one. Right? Can you honestly tell me that you are treating his soul with worth when you are putting him down more than the issue?

Dove hits the nail on the head. We disagree, but be respectful.

Sincerely,

TPV

I work in a state prison system. I personally do not have a problem with legalizing marijuana (in the same way alcohol is). That said, I recognize that neither alcohol nor marijuana is as "safe" as some claim.

I can't tell you the numbers of people I see come in for issues of: DUI, assault, theft, burglary, rape, child molestation, and murder, simply because they were stoned on marijuana.

Working with our Substance Abuse counselors, I've learned that marijuana affects short term memory, cognitive abilities, and in a few cases can cause paranoia or mental disorder. It is about as carcinogenic as tobacco, and as addictive as alcohol.

So, while I see it as useful as a prescription medicine for pain, I also see it as being misused by many people who use the excuse of self-medication for pain, instead of learning to deal with pain in other ways. It is no better than being addicted to Vicodin or Oxycontin.

As for the Word of Wisdom, it is up to the Prophet to determine what falls under the WoW, not Bigernflo. The prophets have mentioned illegal drugs as part of the WoW ban, and have warned us about misusing prescription medications, as well. Coffee and Tea are less harmful than marijuana, yet we have a strict ban on those substances. His claims do not make logical sense, outside of using MJ under the guidance of a doctor.

Just sayin...anything that makes you think HighTimes is on par with the New England Journal of Medicine or that Phish and Grateful Dead are amazing bands just might be imparing your judgement.

The Grateful Dead and Phish are amazing bands and I don't smoke pot.