What's the best lotion/moisturizer?

classylady

I live in an area where we have hard water and low humidity. After a shower my skin is soo dry. I've tried a lot of different lotions and nothing seems to work all that well. The best I've found is combining St. Ives with Curel. Neither one alone does the job. My feet and hands are especially dry, and during the winter I really suffer. I wash my hands a lot, so maybe it would help if I used a moisturizing soap, but other than that and lotion I don't know what to do. We've tried a water softener before, but we didn't like it at the time, and now even if we wanted to we couldn't afford it. Any suggestions?

I am one that has to use lotion constantly on my hands especially. I've tried so many of them out there. I have a hard time with scented lotions. The best one I have found that works for me is Eucerin Plus Intensive Repair.

The Body Shop used to have a great hemp hand lotion that was wonderful. I gave some to my brother-in-law who used to stock grocery shelves- the boxes and such were murder on his hands- and he said it was the best thing he'd ever used. They had a hemp body butter, too. If you can stand to wear socks at night, put your moisturizer thick on your feet and wear the socks over them to bed. You can do the same with your hands and cotton gloves, but again, that's if you can stand it. :)

On the cheaper end I've heard great things about coconut oil as a moisturizer, but I've never really used it. But get the cheapo LuAnn brand stuff in the cooking oil aisle at Walmart, not the expensive cold-pressed kind meant for eating.

I use to use Palmer's Shea Butter cream. It is like lard - BUT you have to put it on right out of the bath/shower.

Like my dermatologist told me, to moisturize dry, dry skin - you need water trapped under a layer of oil. So don't dry off completely. Rub the shea butter on, and then in. I wear a pair of cotton ankle socks so I don't slip and fall.

My husband puts it on his face and chest. For some reason his chest is uber dry!

Used to be able to get it at Walgreen's and Walmart. My Walmart doesn't carry it anymore :(

I have used Udderly whatever - again, right after my shower and not when I am fully dry either. My feet, elbows and hands are so dry they crack and bleed. So I often sit in the tub seat and soak my feet, and keep a sopping wet cloth on my elbows. I move the tub seat to the rug, sit down and pat the dripping water off and put the lotions on.

Udderly isn't near as good as Shea Butter.

We got Luanne Coconut Oil from Walmart, so that my husband could eat a tablespoon a day to help with his memory and other health issues. I got some on my hands and thought, Ooooooo wonder how it would work on my elbows???

So, I soaked my elbows for 15 minutes, then put some coconut oil on. AMAZING results. I soaked my feet, and had hubby soak his feet.

I now have a jar of coconut oil for hands, feet & elbows and one in the kitchen for him to eat.

One thing about the coconut oil - the results seem to last a day or two longer than all of the other creams and lotions.

Also, if you go barefoot and your carpeting is man made aka nylon, it will suck the body oil right out of your feet. Same if you wear nylon hose/stockings. So, you will need to moisturize your feet AND you will need to put something between your bare feet and the carpet. Like slippers, flip-flops, cotton socks. etc. The reason my elbows are so bad is that the arms of my office chair is fabric - nylon fabric. I have wrapped them with cotton hand towels, but that still drys my elbows out too much.

Another lotion we are using on hubbys legs and my back is Now Solutions Comforting Massage Oil. It contains: Grapeseed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Kerne Oil, Aroma Oil Blend [Lavender Oil Blend, Pine Needle Oil (Siberian), Palmarosa Oil, Patchouli Oil, Chamomile Oil, Geranium Oil] ad Vitamin E (natural d-alpha tocopherol). Of course it is Organic and spendy. 16 oz bottle cost $19.95. BUT a little goes a LONG way.

It smells wonderful & softens the skin. It does need to be patted off. But it also lasts longer. Had it done to my back two nights ago, have showered twice and my back is still smooth and soft.

Need to do the coconut oil on the elbows and feet though. What I really like about the coconut oil on my feet - there is no scent added to it. It is pure. With diabetic feet- any scent will creep into the cracks and wreck havoc causing infections.

Oh, another cream, salve to use in a pinch is A&D Ointment. Not the one with zinc oxide in it thugh. I just found out that I am allergic to lanolin - did you know that there is lanolin in some fabric dryer sheets???? Couldn't figure out why my bum had a blistery rash. Dryer sheet in with the garments. So I used Bag Balm & it was getting worse. Got the magnifying glass and lo and behold lanolin is one of the two ingredients.

Got A & D Ointment and over night the rash is improving. I tried some of it on my elbows and hands and it is pretty good on them too. Now I have to not use dryer sheets with my garments. I only use them to stop the static, guess I will have to read labels.

After I shower I use Sesame oil. I use Coconut oil on my hands during the day.

Aveeno is good, with oatmeal or lavender. I also like Bag Balm when my hands gets so dry they hurt. Its great on my feet too. I slather it on and put on a pair of socks so it soaks in.

I used to use Shea Butter (just shea, not a lotion). It was good but I found Bag Balm easier to find and better.

Edited by applepansy

After I shower I use Sesame oil. I use Coconut oil on my hands during the day.

Aveeno is good, with oatmeal or lavender. I also like Bag Balm when my hands gets so dry they hurt. Its great on my feet too. I slather it on and put on a pair of socks so it soaks in.

I used to use Shea Butter (just shea, not a lotion). It was good but I found Bag Balm easier to find and better.

Me too, except for the lanolin in the Bag Balm and Udderly Smooth. My hands would start to itch like crazy- deep to the bone itch. Lanolin! So now I have to carry a wallet size magnifying glass so I can read if there is lanolin in the product. ~ bummer

I have exceedingly dry skin. What I do is first off, make my own soap. One to clean and one to moisturize. The cleaning one I am using now has coconut oil in it. The moisturizing one has coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, palm oil. This is lye soap from scratch. Oddly the additives etc in other soaps just put a nasty film on the skin and it is not moisture. Before I found a lye source recently, I used Bio-Oil one of my daughters got me for Christmas. Its actually very nice and soaks right in.

The soap has made such a difference in my skin after just one use. Seriously. Now for feet I like to use the homemade soap poured into luffa then cut into slices. It cleans up the feet extremely well and keeps the calluses off with no problems. I am diabetic and have no problems with them done this way.

I live in an area where we have hard water and low humidity. After a shower my skin is soo dry. I've tried a lot of different lotions and nothing seems to work all that well. The best I've found is combining St. Ives with Curel. Neither one alone does the job. My feet and hands are especially dry, and during the winter I really suffer. I wash my hands a lot, so maybe it would help if I used a moisturizing soap, but other than that and lotion I don't know what to do. We've tried a water softener before, but we didn't like it at the time, and now even if we wanted to we couldn't afford it. Any suggestions?

I'm a big fan of DOVE products and for various reasons. One, they are big supporters and contributors to Build Self-Esteem Workshops for girls, and two, their products are ever so gentle. So I would switch your soap to DOVE because it's primarily a moisturizer. And as an additional skin moisturizer, try using baby oil after bathing/showering/hand washing.

• 1 month later...

One thing I especially love is if you have a Trader Joe's, they make a coconut body butter that I've used all winter, as when I apply it after my shower, it absorbs into the skin. I also like regular coconut oil, as not only do I use it in cooking, but as a moisturizer and as a conditioning treatment in my hair once a week. One thing I have found that is great for extremely dry skin that cracks, especially on the fingers, is Blistex Lip Meddex in the small blue jar. It's mostly what I use in the winter on my hands, but when I do use hand cream, I prefer the stuff from Eucerin.

well i have used baby oil, pure vaseline, or coco butter and if i do my hands i put socks on them afterwards, and on my feet as well, for legs i put sweats on and then go to sleep. for my face I have put some olive oil on it a few times..... Now what lotions are good to keep u looking young rflol

Ijust thought of this dont use anti bacterial stuff.