Do missionaries (or are missionaries allowed) to give gifts to a person getting baptised?

They might, but it depends on whether any local rules apply, and the missionary's thoughtfulness and financial means. For many missionaries, the only spending money they have is what comes through the mission office and which has to cover their groceries, occasional meals, bus fare, the occasional souvenir, and so on--it can be very hard to fit gifts into that kind of budget.

I've always wondered this - not that the concept and service of baptism isn't special and sacred enough, but do missionaries ever give any gifts as a congratulations? :)

One Elder from Idaho once bought a fine new shirt for me (for the ceremony) and gave it to me as a present, because I told him before that I didn't have an appropriate outfit. I think he came from a prosperous family (that doesn't mean I want to belittle his present only 'cause of this). I wouldn't see any of those gifts as "congratulations", but it isn't unusual to give some presents (as souvenirs) to each other when a missionary is going back home.

The "gifts" I gave as a missionary, was a paperback triple combination (Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price) in one book. I simply ordered them through my mission office and picked them up during zone conference.

Triple Combination - store.lds.org

Most new converts didn't seem to get them on their own as missionaries only gave them the standard paperback of The Book of Mormon. At least then, they were prepared for Sunday School lessons and they were rather inexpensive, even for a missionary budget.

I had one guy that I later baptized on my mission. He couldn't read. So, when I had my parents send me the audio tapes of the triple combination earlier in my mission (to play in the car/wake up to a cassette alarm), I asked them in a letter if they minded if I gave them away. They didn't mind, so I gave the tapes to him.

Then I was wondering if he was "reading". I didn't think he was. But it was nice to have him recount the story of Ammon to me and how thankful he was for the Book of Mormon on cassette tape. I was surprised and humbled at the same time.

My gifts were humble and appropriate. But I wouldn't expect every missionary to do the same thing. We aren't taught to do so, nor expected to do so.

The "gifts" I gave as a missionary, was a paperback triple combination (Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price) in one book. I simply ordered them through my mission office and picked them up during zone conference.

Triple Combination - store.lds.org

I once got a German BoM, later the paperback triple combination mentioned above, and an English BoM ('cause I wanted to study the book in its origin language). And later the shirt I've told about before.

Okay, to tell even the whole story: It was years ago, and then I lost all of my books and most of my old records caused by personal circumstances . Later other missionaries came visiting me again and then brought me a new triple combination (after I'd told them about all that and asked them for a new one) and a new English version of the BoM.

But I've never got a toaster, a golden watch or a car as a present. But it's all right since I already have a toaster..

Edited by JimmiGerman

I gave gifts to everyone my companions and I taught and baptized and I kept giving gifts to them as I could until I left the area. These gifts were mostly church related books to help them learn about the gospel more and to help their testimonies grow. I didn't do this as a congratulation for them getting baptized but as a way to help them to continue to progress even after I left the area. Everyone of them was poor and I believed it was very unlikely that they would ever have the money to get the books that many members take for granted and have easy access to.