Gaining a testimony of Brigham Young

Bycote

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who has struggled for years to gain a testimony that Brigham Young is a prophet of God and the rightful successor as President of the church to Joseph Smith. My friend is a LDS convert but has stopped attending our meetings to follow the Restoration Branch instead. He is a good and thorough student of the gospel and church history and he is always open to learning more and receiving new revelation and he has asked me to help him gain a testimony of Brigham Young's prophetic role.

Does anybody know any very good books about Brigham Young to recommend? It would probably be better if they were written by people who knew him first hand and walked and talked with him during his life on earth. As in the case of Joseph Smith and others, I think that is how we get a most accurate depiction of who he really is. :)

Thank you for any help and suggestions. TO ZION!!!!

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who has struggled for years to gain a testimony that Brigham Young is a prophet of God and the rightful successor as President of the church to Joseph Smith. My friend is a LDS convert but has stopped attending our meetings to follow the Restoration Branch instead. He is a good and thorough student of the gospel and church history and he is always open to learning more and receiving new revelation and he has asked me to help him gain a testimony of Brigham Young's prophetic role.

Does anybody know any very good books about Brigham Young to recommend? It would probably be better if they were written by people who knew him first hand and walked and talked with him during his life on earth. As in the case of Joseph Smith and others, I think that is how we get a most accurate depiction of who he really is. :)

Thank you for any help and suggestions. TO ZION!!!!

I really liked Leonard Arrington's biography "Brigham Young: American Moses". It helped me understand Brigham as a whole person, and I thought Arrington did a good job documenting Brigham's strengths and weaknesses. I came away from it with a firmer testimony of Brigham as a worthy successor to Joseph's role as the Presiding High Priest then when I started it.

Denver Snuffer has written a history of the Church called "Passing the Heavenly Gift" which has helped many Church members struggling with a testimony, regain/strengthen their testimony. It makes the case that the LDS Church still has the power and authority of the Priesthood. Perhaps your friend would also benefit from reading that.

Edited by Matthew0059

Arrington's "Brigham Young: American Moses" is a good one. Turner's recent "Brigham Young: Pioneer Prophet" isn't as faith-promoting; but it's straightforward--pulls no punches, and about as sympathetic treatment of Young as you're ever going to see from a non-Mormon.

Also, see Ardis Parshall's (so-far) three-part series on Keepapitchinin entitled "Random Reasons Why I Like Brigham Young":

Installment 1

Installment 2

Installment 3

And see also another one of Ardis' anecdotes involving Brigham and his daughter Susa Young Gates:

"Here, kitty, kitty, or, the lions of the Lion House"

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I also recommend "Passing the Heavenly Gift" by Denver Snuffer. I'm reading it now and it helped me a lot to overcome some of my reservations in sustaining the leaders of the church as prophets, seers, and revelators.

I would also like to share a personal experience that might help your friend. The purpose of the church is to bring people to Christ. As I encountered troubling things that made me wonder about Brigham Young and even Joseph Smith, I began to pray about how I could know the truth. The Lord answered that question by pointing out to me that my personal relationship with Christ didn't actually depend on knowing exactly what happened back in early church times. All I really needed to know was that Joseph Smith did receive the vision he claimed he did, that the Book of Mormon truly brings us closer to Christ, and that the Lord has personally asked me to serve in the church.

I'm truthfully not certain still that Brigham Young was actually a prophet of God, but it doesn't matter any more. I am where I am supposed to be and that is all that matters. Your friend will also benefit from seeking to come closer to Christ. It would seem to me, that he is searching for truth. There is no other place to find the truth than through the Spirit of the Lord. Good books and the scriptures can help, but he needs first and foremost to go to the Lord, if he is not presently doing so.

Good afternoon CalledToServer. I hope you are enjoying your Friday! :)

I'm truthfully not certain still that Brigham Young was actually a prophet of God, but it doesn't matter any more.

Brigham Young is a prophet of God. In my view, Brigham Young is one of the greatest prophets to have lived. I am eternally thankful for Brigham Young's life, words, and example.

Regards,

Finrock

If he expects that a prophet should be an unflawed man, he'll be disappointed. President Young is one that I struggle with more on a personal level, and I think he said and did some things that came from Brigham, not President Young, which people attribute to the prophet and not the man, if that makes sense. Nevertheless I think he was called to be the president of the Church and the prophet in his time for good reasons, most of all that God knew he was the one who would and could do all that he did. So I have no doubt that he was called of God, even if I have issues with some things he said unofficially.

If he expects that a prophet should be an unflawed man, he'll be disappointed. President Young is one that I struggle with more on a personal level, and I think he said and did some things that came from Brigham, not President Young, which people attribute to the prophet and not the man, if that makes sense. Nevertheless I think he was called to be the president of the Church and the prophet in his time for good reasons, most of all that God knew he was the one who would and could do all that he did. So I have no doubt that he was called of God, even if I have issues with some things he said unofficially.

Eowyn took the words right out of my mouth. :rolleyes: I agree, entirely!

His leadership fulfilled prophecy.

And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. - Isaiah 2:2

And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth: and, behold, they shall come with speed swiftly - Isaiah 5:26

The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. - Isaiah 35:1

The keys of the kingdom of God are committed unto man on the earth, and from thence shall the gospel roll forth unto the ends of the earth, as the stone which is cut out of the mountain without hands shall roll forth, until it has filled the whole earth. - Doctrine and Covenants 65:2 (see also the Book of Daniel)

See also

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young 

Edited by bytebear

I perceive Brigham Young as a little "rough around the edges". But, I absolutely know that he was called of God to be a prophet. No man or woman besides Christ has been perfect. Brigham Young had his weaknesses and strengths just like you and I. He had the skills necessary to move the church forward. I'm grateful for what he was able to accomplish. I'm grateful he was a man of leadership and decision. "Many are called but few are chosen". I'm grateful he was where he was and was willing to serve, in order to be a tool in the Lord's hands. As a prophet he received guidance, inspiration, and revelation pertaining to the building up of the Kingdom.

Brigham lived in a different culture than ours. What was acceptable and taught back then, now seems rather backwards to our cultural norms. He did what the Lord asked him. Have I done everything the Lord has asked of me?

Not sure why your friend is in particular need of a testimony of the prophethood of a man who has been dead for almost 136 years. He needs a testimony of the Prophet of the restoration, Joseph Smith, and of the prophethood of the Church president, currently Thomas S. Monson. All others can be inferred from those two.

That said, I love Brigham Young and have no doubt he was a mighty prophet. Anyone who honestly researches the man's history in context of his times cannot help but admire him.