mission?

runner221

I am one year away from being 19, and with the new mission age changes, I can serve a mission sooner. If I decided to go on a mission, I would turn in my papers this October. But that's my problem. I am having the hardest time deciding whether or not to go. I have been praying about it and thinking about it so much. I attend the temple regularly and I especially pray about it when I'm there. But nothings happening. I'm not being swayed either way. I've written out lists of pros and cons of serving, I've talked to people, but I still can't decide. I don't know if I'm only having the thoughts of going because so many people, including my parents, have said that I should go. I don't want to go out into the mission field because I feel pressured to do so... I just can't decide! And the time for me to decide is getting closer. People have said that maybe I should wait and serve when I'm older, but when the age for young women to serve was 21, I was in no way planning on going. Now that that has changed, I'm seriously thinking about it. So what I'm trying to say is how do i know if serving a mission is the right thing for me to do? What should I be looking for? Should I be getting an impression or strong feeling that serving is the right thing for me? because if that's what should be happening, then maybe the lord is saying that a mission isn't for me. I just really want to know what to do. And I know that this is a personal decision and people can't tell me what I should do, but any advice that would help is welcome. I'll keep praying about it either way.

Posted (edited) · Hidden
Hidden

No, my patriarchal blessing doesn't say or mention anything about a mission. But when I got it a few years back I didn't have the intent of serving. I don't know if that would make a difference or not though.

Edited by runner221

Does your patriarchal blessing say anything about it?

No, my patriarchal blessing doesn't say or mention anything about a mission. But when I got it a few years back I didn't have the intent, or I wasn't even considering serving. But I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

I was recently watching the video series, "Patterns of Light", which is a 3-part series given by Elder Bednar which talks about recieving revelation. You may want to watch them, listed here:

- Part 1

- Part 2

- Part 3

Besides all of that, here's my advice: You're never right by doing wrong, and you're never wrong by doing right. Serving a Mission is never going to be a bad choice. You just have to decide if it's the choice for you. We, on this forum, can give you all the advice in the world, but ultimately, it comes down to you and your Father in Heaven. Continue praying, and continue seeking the revelation that you need.

Personally, I would say go for it. Serving a Mission changed by life. Like the above poster said, you have to make your own decision. Whether you're going to go or not. And then, take that decision to the Lord and ask him if that's what you should do. He's not going to tell you "You should go" or "You shouldn't go" out of the blue. At least, very rarely. But if you make a decision and ask him, "Should I go?" He'll tell you, "Yes" or "no."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently in a mission prep class and at the beginning of the class we recite D&C 4:

1 Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men.

2 Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day.

3 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work;

4 For behold the afield is white already to harvest; and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickle with his might, the same layeth up in store that he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to his soul;

5 And faith, hope, charity and love, with an eye single to the glory of God, qualify him for the work.

6 Remember faith, virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience, brotherly kindness, godliness, charity, humility, diligence.

7 Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. Amen.

Now while this isn't to sway you one way or another, I feel that it is important to remember what our focus in life should be; serving the Lord/serving others. Some are best prepared or expected to serve the Lord through a mission, others, especially women can choose have to accept that calling if they wish (remember, if they have that desire to serve) to stay and serve the Lord through other means, whether it be through fulfilling other callings or finishing their education, or also having the chance to prepare to serve Him through eternal marriage and familyship.

So I agree with wingnut. I think you need to decide and then say "This is what I'm going to do, if that's definitely not what I should be planning, tell me, and if not I'm going to go right ahead with what I've what I want to do and planned."

SUMMARY

If you want to go, go.

If you really don't have any desire or spiritual prompting to convince you otherwise to go, then you don't have to if you don't want to.

Edited by WorthofaSoul

I don't think the answer has to come yet. I hope you have talked with the bishop about these feelings. I hope you are still reading your scriptures.

What would you do instead of a mission? School I assume?

I don't think I ever really prayed to know if I should go on a mission (being a guy and all). But I always felt from reading some of the Missionary chapters in the Book of Mormon that it was something I wanted to do. It wasn't until after I got my mission call that people wanted me to pray about my mission, which I felt was right. (then later in the MT do I get a firm testimony.)

I think the question is pretty simple "Do you want to go on a mission?" Yes or no?

It kind of sounds like its a no, because that question has always been a no before.

Take your time.