Postpartum recovery and garments and all that...

Backroads

I'm the patient who comes to appointments with a computer and PDFs, lists of possible drugs to be prescribed and their interactions, etc. I'm sure they like to see me coming. : )

Me too. :) But for different reasons. There isn't a nurse or doctor anywhere who is inside my body with me. They are advisors only.

I do have a worry about having PPD. I'm trying not to worry too much about it (in case that just makes it worse) but I'm getting help lined up and am adamant about trying to rest when the baby sleeps.

Resting while the baby sleeps is the best thing you can do to help yourself recover and easiest when its your first. I believe it takes at least 9 months to recover. I've seen too many women push themselves too soon and end up with health issues down the road, me included.

It takes a lot out of our bodies and emotional bank to carry and deliver another human being. Be gentle with yourself.

Part of me is happy that I am not a neat freak and therefore can let the household cleaning take a back seat without freaking out about it.

Eventhough I am a neat-freak, I totally agree with chores and cleaning taking a back-seat when a body/mind/spirit needs rest.

On the weekends, no matter how hard I am working in my house or outside in my yard, I always try to make sure I come in and take a nap.

I never used to be a napper, but now I realize that it just does my body, mind, and spirit good. It allows me to take that time to put everything in the backseat and relax. I even trained my children to nap with me, or at the same time as me.

Now that they are older I don't require them to take naps any more, but I do tell them that during my nap time the entire house needs to be under "Quiet Time". They can read, draw, or pay quietly in their rooms. No technology of any kind and no going outside while I am napping.

My daughter (12) usually snuggles with me for a nap, while my son (10) plays quietly or draws. But more often than not, I find him sleeping on the couch when I get up from my nap. :)

Naps aren't for everybody, but it is what works for me. The point, which has been made throughout this thread, is to not run faster than you are able, or faster than Heavenly Father would require. Do what works for you and don't compare yourself to anybody else. We are all different, so what works for us is likely to be different too.

I'm planning to do some deep cleaning today... after my hair appointment... I do confess I watched a few epidoses of Downton Abby this morning whilst catching up on a thank-you cards.

I do think it would be nice to deep clean the house before baby comes.

Yes, that is a good idea. That way you can just focus on the baby when it arrives.

However, don't over-do it. When you are tired, stop. Sometimes it helps to do a few small tasks a day, every day, than to try to do mega cleaning or organizing all in one day. But everybody is different. I am more of a "mega" cleaner. I usually do all my weekly chores on Saturday--which I usually pay for on Sunday morning when my body aches almost too much to get out of bed.

I'm planning to do some deep cleaning today... after my hair appointment... I do confess I watched a few epidoses of Downton Abby this morning whilst catching up on a thank-you cards.

It's called "nesting". :D I could be found scrubbing the legs of my kitchen table the week before my youngest was born.

Brother-in-law once used the "n" word (nesting) when I was talking about some projects I had made for the baby's room (my pregnancy with my daughter). I thought I was seriously going to scratch his eyes out, and the look I gave him probably withered him. I know I said something, but my mind has since blocked out what I said. SIGH

Apparently I took exception to my creativity and hard work being slapped with a label. Sheesh. :rolleyes: Women can be so difficult. :lol:

Since we're talking post-partum issues here - did any one else break their coccyx in childbirth? My little pumpkin was just under 10 pounds. The docs didn't tell me about the broken coccyx. So I go home, can't sit too long, can't stand too long, and don't know what the issue is, but since I'd just had a baby, I figured it went with the territory.

When I went for the 6 week check up, I told the doctor about my issue and that's when he said, "Oh yeah, it was a big baby. Your coccyx was broken. It happens sometimes." Gee whiz.

I was a young thing when I had my son. I didn't question doctors or hospital staff. Since having my son, I've become a lot more assertive about my health. My step-father had a number of medical malpractice cases and I've picked up enough not to trust these people as far as I can throw them. I'm the patient who comes to appointments with a computer and PDFs, lists of possible drugs to be prescribed and their interactions, etc. I'm sure they like to see me coming. : )

I had c-sections with both of mine, but I have a friend who has broken her coccyx with each of her three babies.

This happened to me too. Also right at three days after both kids. With number one I was still in the hospital, because paediatrician and obstetrician weren't communicating and neither would sign release forms until the other did. So I wound up bawling because I wanted to go home so badly, luckily a nurse walked in and after I explained the problem she went and sorted them out, and I got out that day! With number two I was at home, but my husband had to go to his best friends wedding (baby was early) so he rented me "the Notebook" and went out. Well when he called to check on me I was sobbing incoherently. He came home early. So my advice is, don't watch sappy movies, and have support around you around day 3! Also nurses can fix most doctor issues!

I was still in the hospital both times also, staying longer because of c-sections. The second time around I was expecting it, but when it hits, it still doesn't make it any easier. The nurse knew what was going on. She put her arms around me and said something like, "Oh, sweetie. Those hormones are kicking in, aren't they?" Me: "yeeeeeessssssss" (sobbing dramatically...lol).

I am so going into mood swings. I'm split between two offices, and Boss said to stay at the office by my house until the baby comes--so there's no chaos as we try to get me home from the other office (which is an hour away).

So I don't go to the other office today. Apparently the other person in my department decided to take a vacation day. And another co-worker who I am now viewing as a nasty busybody freaks out and sends this ridiculous and mean e-mail to Boss. Now, Boss inexplicably but awesomely included me in his reply to her, telling her to send calls my way if there's a problem.

And then she sent me a nasty personal email.

I had something all typed up in response but deleted it at the last minute.

I suspect I'm emotional and overreacting.

I am so going into mood swings. I'm split between two offices, and Boss said to stay at the office by my house until the baby comes--so there's no chaos as we try to get me home from the other office (which is an hour away).

So I don't go to the other office today. Apparently the other person in my department decided to take a vacation day. And another co-worker who I am now viewing as a nasty busybody freaks out and sends this ridiculous and mean e-mail to Boss. Now, Boss inexplicably but awesomely included me in his reply to her, telling her to send calls my way if there's a problem.

And then she sent me a nasty personal email.

I had something all typed up in response but deleted it at the last minute.

I suspect I'm emotional and overreacting.

I'm beginning to wonder at my older-than-dirt age if the mood swings every stop. :(

I wore Depends. They were really nice; I didn't feel nervous about leaking out of the sides of them like I did with the meshy panties. I did have stitches (from an almost 4th degree tear), so I wouldn't wear the Depends right away. I would use up the pads and meshy panties first if you have stitches.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

compression garment designed to help new moms get back to their pre-pregnancy shape. This garment is designed to target the abdomen as well as hip size and shape. I use this garment after my two pregnancy and I feel confident because I am having the same shape of my body which was before pregnancy. 

Back to garments...

2 c-sections here with 2 weeks hospital stay each (eclamptic on the first, pre-eclamptic on the 2nd).  I took off my garments when they broke my water and didn't put them back on.  After surgery, I wore the mesh underwear and the hospital gown until I got dressed to leave the hospital and I put my garments back on and my own clothes on.

I get what applepansy is saying, but I don't think what she's saying applies to the hospital.   We're in the hospital for a reason - it's a very abnormal set of circumstances and there's not a single moment we are in the hospital that we have the luxury of "dressing for convenience".  We're dressing for necessity.

My mother convinced me not to get the epidural on my first birthing experience for religious reasons.  This, obviously, was a misinterpretation of doctrine.  I take the feeling of obligation to wear garments when one is at the hospital trying to recover from a c-section - or any medical complication - the same way.  There's a reason we are advised to wear the hospital gown.

So, Backroads... my take on the matter (just my own opinion) when the time comes that you can wear regular underwear during the birthing process, then just go ahead and wear garments instead of regular underwear.  But, if you are wearing a hospital gown or something to that effect, or the mesh underwear for healing, don't wear the garments.  Make sense?

On PPD, both you and your husband  (and any of your support group) knowing that you are undergoing PPD is already winning 80% of the battle.  When you feel like going crazy, just stop and call somebody immediately - even if it is just to talk.  Please don't wait until it gets uncontrollable because you are too worried that you are inconveniencing people.  Just call.  You can return the favor later after you've overcome this hurdle and then it would be your turn to help some other woman get through PPD...  The other 20% can be managed by proper nutrition and rest, or in extreme cases, medication.  Tell your doctor every single thing that you feel - even if you think it's trivial.  It's better to give him too much info than too little...

I'm beginning to wonder at my older-than-dirt age if the mood swings every stop. :(

Off Topic: Are you going through Menopause? I was 52 when it hit me - like a ton of bricks. Hormones treatment proved to be the wrong answer. I went on Black Cohosh capsules. It took two years to get the right dosage. For me it was 3,000 mg a day. 1500 in the morning and 1500 one hour before I went to bed. The only place I could find to get them was from on on-line place.  ALSO I had high blood pressure. That causes mood swings too. Then I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. When that is not under control - your mood swings like Poe's Pendulum! I am done with menopause  :twothumbsup:  - my High Blood pressure is affected by my diabetes - so when I eat properly, take my meds on time and remember to take my insulin - then there are NO mood swings. 

Off Topic: Are you going through Menopause? I was 52 when it hit me - like a ton of bricks. Hormones treatment proved to be the wrong answer. I went on Black Cohosh capsules. It took two years to get the right dosage. For me it was 3,000 mg a day. 1500 in the morning and 1500 one hour before I went to bed. The only place I could find to get them was from on on-line place.  ALSO I had high blood pressure. That causes mood swings too. Then I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. When that is not under control - your mood swings like Poe's Pendulum! I am done with menopause  :twothumbsup:  - my High Blood pressure is affected by my diabetes - so when I eat properly, take my meds on time and remember to take my insulin - then there are NO mood swings. 

Started with Peri-Memopause In my late 30s-ish and now at age 56 I a long way past done.   :)

I'm a grandmaMom raising a 6yo.  Mood swings abound at my house.  LOL