Fasting

Tough Grits

I've had many prayers answered which I contribute to fasting. It is difficult for me to fast now. I have to take my meds and when I take them they cause nausea. If I don't take them I don't get very far out of bed.

Fasting is about sacrifice. I believe our willingness to sacrifice is directly related to the answers to prayer, and to the blessing we receive. I believe (as Elder Gene R Cook states in one of his talks on prayer) that our sacrifice can result in blessings for someone else. So, when I can't do a whole fast I find another way to show my Heavenly Father my willingness to sacrifice.

My mother had an interesting experience several years ago. She was in a serious financial bind. She had prayed, prayed and fasted, prayed some more, had a priesthood blessing, name on the temple prayer roll....everything. She wasn't getting an answer and she KNEW she would/should get an answer. She was looking as serious deadlines. So she decided to fast until she got an answer....any answer. After several days she had curled up in a chair to do something (read/knit) and heard a voice say "I can't answer your prayer until other people decide what they are going to do." It was so profound she called me about it. For me it was an example of how important our agency is.

We are all on different spiritual levels, and individually we have principles and doctrines that we have a stronger testimony of than other priciples/doctrines.

For me, I have a testimony of fasting...but it is a testimony that is in it's infancy. For me, the difficulty isn't going without food/drink, it is the purpose behind the fast. I understand the "mechanics" of fasting, I just need to build up my understanding of the spiritual purpose of fasting.

I know that this is something that I need to research, ponder, pray about, and practice. Maybe reading testimonies and thoughts on fasting will help me understand the spiritual purpose of fasting better in addition to the "diligently seeking/searching" that I need to do on my own.

^_^

When I first met Hubby via a LDS based internet singles site - there was so much about him that rang *my bell*.

I only wanted a priesthood holder friend. A single man that I could talk with, ask questions of and not have the impropriety of doing all this with a married man.

Quite a few of the branch members were going to the temple, so I went with them. I fasted, and while in the temple I prayed for guidance as to whether this man I met online was for real. Was he all that he said he was? I knew I was. That I told the truth via my profile and our letters to each other.

When I entered the temple I was confused about this budding relationship. When I left the temple that day ~ I had a clarity of thought and feelings about him. Yes, he is what he says he is. Yes he is honest. Yes he is for real.

Over the next week, our long distance relationship intensified. At each increase (can not think of a better word) in our relationship I again fasted, went to the temple, did not only the endowment but also initiatory, then asked Father if he is to be my eternal companion.

Never have I had such a feeling of peace and joy before. My heart nearly jumped out of my body - and I felt as though I had been embraced by Father. As I left the temple, the single word YES echoed in my head.

We proposed to each other via Yahoo Chat 13 days after we *met* online. Before we had even met face to face. Before he came to get me, my two cats, 1/2 of my books, ALL of my food storage, ALL of my power tools, etc. I went once more to the temple. Again I fasted, again I did initiatory's, again an endowment session and then sat in the celestial room and thanked Father for the many many blessings that He has *poured* down upon me.

For me Fast & Testimony isn't reserved just for the first Sunday of the month ~ it is for when you need to converse heart to heart with Father. When I go to the temple for me - to converse with Father, then I fast. When I go do to proxy work for my ancestors or for others, then I do not fast.

I too am on medications that require that I eat before, during and after I take them. I do eat just enough to help the meds work- and I increase the spiritual part of a fast.

We are all on different spiritual levels, and individually we have principles and doctrines that we have a stronger testimony of than other priciples/doctrines.

For me, I have a testimony of fasting...but it is a testimony that is in it's infancy. For me, the difficulty isn't going without food/drink, it is the purpose behind the fast. I understand the "mechanics" of fasting, I just need to build up my understanding of the spiritual purpose of fasting.

I know that this is something that I need to research, ponder, pray about, and practice. Maybe reading testimonies and thoughts on fasting will help me understand the spiritual purpose of fasting better in addition to the "diligently seeking/searching" that I need to do on my own.

^_^

Talks on Sacrifice might be helpful too.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I've seen miracles happen after a fast, either personal or family fast or whatever. Things that have seemed or felt impossible have come through, or great comfort and understanding has been given when things haven't worked out the way we wished. I'm thankful for fasting and that I've been able to test it out and develop a testimony of it myself.

Fasting helps me develop self control. Sounds stupid, but it does. Part of the reason we are on earth is to learn self control. It helps me to learn sacrifice and service to others. I sacrifice foods and some money to financially serve those in need.

Typicality I get answers to prayers without the fast, so I don't have any real experiences to share about that. But I see nothing but good coming from a sincere, honest fast.