Today I am quitting smoking.

mark924

Hi everyone,

I am technically a member of the Church. I haven't attended in a long time. I no longer live a worthy life. For whatever reason yesterday I decided to browse lds.org and watched President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's 'Of Regrets and Resolutions'. I have tried to quit smoking many times and failed. His talk has inspired me to try yet again. I don't have any real life support for this, so I was hoping maybe this is a place I can post about my efforts and feel some support, even from strangers. I have never not believed in the message of the Church since the moment I heard it, even though my life has taken me so very far away since then. I can't even begin to think about all the things I would need to do to make things right so I'm just going to focus on this one thing until I can manage the others. If these kinds of threads are frowned upon or prohibited, please delete or move it with my apologies.

Good luck! Don't give up! I hope you can abandon smoking from this moment on. Remember, though, that quitting smoking sometimes involves giving it up a dozen times. I remember hearing that the average smoker tries to give it up seven times before succeeding. That's the average; some took much longer. So don't be discouraged; keep your eye on the goal, and you will succeed.

Mark,

You made a wonderful decision to quit smoking. You will be in my prayers. The reason it is so difficult to quit, as I am sure you know, is because of the longing you feel for a cigarette when you stop. Addiction to anything is difficult to break, but nicotine is perhaps the most difficult.

The LDS Stop Smoking Lesson teaches 15 steps to follow each day to help you turn off the longing for a cigarette. It takes only an hour to take the lesson, then you follow the 15 steps each day for a week. Your local missionaries already have the lesson manual and they can teach it to you.

Do not be concerned. They will not take you where you do not wish to go. They will simply teach the 15 steps, and if that is all you want that is all they will do.

If I can be of any help to you during this process just let me know. You will be in my prayers.

Sincere best wishes,

David Bresnahan

Administrator

LDS Stop Smoking Lesson

Mark hello and ty for ur post. Of course I wish you the best in all things. and hope that u do conquer the habbit of smoking I have never had this habbit, but I have many. But I do know that you can conquer it... Many have..some people say going cold turkey is the best way. some use the new e cig, best thing I think is to get a blessing.. and work on your self by taking baby steps, dont be hard on yourself I know this is hard not to do we are all our worst enemy. Yes that talk is a great one I just read it again myself.NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!! Said one of the general authorities of the 70s last sunday i my ward Elder Smith I think it was he came from ut to fl. to speak with his siblings who r inactive about the plan of salvation, their mother just passed away. He said Never give up ten times. I know sin keeps us away from God and Church or we feel like hipracrites, but were not...Were Children of God and we all have our weakness, faults, etc..the trick is to never give up, keep on trying,I had a friend who wasnt active either who smoked, he came to church from time to time didnt take the scarament and then was told by his bishop to par take of it...Remember none of us is perfect..Best of luck to you, and many wishes for your happiness......with Gods help u can accomplish all things...dont be hard on urself if u fall...just get up and do it again..start over..Never giveup!

hi dravin i see u in here lol did u ever get married?? ssorry for this post but how to u ask ? to others since theres no chat and Ive been away from this site for a long time:)

Almost 2 years ago. :)

Good luck! Don't give up! I hope you can abandon smoking from this moment on. Remember, though, that quitting smoking sometimes involves giving it up a dozen times. I remember hearing that the average smoker tries to give it up seven times before succeeding. That's the average; some took much longer. So don't be discouraged; keep your eye on the goal, and you will succeed.

I quit, on average, twenty times a day for twenty years.

Here's a freebie self-hypnosis session that might help to some extent:

Free Hypnosis Downloads | MP3 Self-hypnosis - Stop Smoking

Hi everyone,

(...) I have tried to quit smoking many times and failed. (...)

And you might fail again. But let me give you an advise: The more you know about your enemy (and smoking is an enemy of you), the more you know about his strength and his weakness, the more you will be able to beat him. An enemy you don't know very much about will strike you in a way you perhaps don't reckon with.

Once I bought a book by David Krogh: "Smoking ...", see the link below (German:" Rauchen, Sucht und Leidenschaft"). I studied it from the beginning to the end and learned a lot about the nervous system, the influence of nicotine concerning our neuro-transmitters, the ability of nicotine to imitate a special neuro-transmitter and thus to obtain control about me in form of an addiction.

Try to get some information on that book and buy it. If you know why you do s.th. and if you know how nicotine works and you have learned about its biochemistric effects, you will be in a stronger position than now. I have stopped smoking in the year 2000 after a smoking career of about 25 years. The book helped me along that way. Good luck to you.

PS Smoking is not on the highest rank of addictions. You can get stopping it, if you are in a strong mentally position and if you know everything about its effects and qualities.

Smoking: The Artificial Passion: David Krogh: 9780716723479: Amazon.com: Books

BOOK REVIEW: Smoking – The Artificial Passion, by David Krogh (1991) | Jessica Mudditt's Blog

Edited by JimmiGerman