New Pope Elected

Bini

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested.

Will he impact LDS folks in any way? Is anyone else besides me and Bini interested in the color of the smoke?

We may have theological differences but I'm of the opinion that the Pope, and Catholics, are a force for good in the world. Even if there isn't direct communication or cooperation between LDS and Catholics the Pope impacts us, at minimum, in the same way he impacts everyone else in the world.

What will be interesting is the Papal name, my understanding is it is chosen as a foreshadowing of the type or style (for lack of a better term) of Pope he wants to be.

Doesn't sound like it will be a Filipino Pope. Possibly we could be seeing a North American Pope take the stand, at least, that's what some speculators are saying. I'm not very familiar with the process of appointing a new Pope but I'm finding it fascinating! I'm happy for those that are at peace now that they will soon be greeted by a new Pope to guide the Catholic church.

Will he impact LDS folks in any way? Is anyone else besides me and Bini interested in the color of the smoke?

I'm excited, and happy for my Catholic neighbors. I hope the world benefits.

Amen, and amen.

LDS or not, another capable, pious, Godly voice cannot be any but a good thing in a fallen world.

Hmmm.... I wonder if (having gotten roundly, soundly, and devastatingly horse-whipped in the recent plebescite) the Argentinian government will try to parlay the election of Pope Francis I into some sort of sanction for their saber rattling over the Falklands.

A new name. I'm curious, as I am sure others are, of what legacy will become attached to that name.

Though it's technically Fransisco, it seems as though he will be known as Pope Francis. While he is the first Francis, it's certainly not a name new to Catholicism, and already has quite the legacy to it with Saint Francis of Assisi.

Hmm rather historic choice. Do the Argentinians have the same issues with child abuse that a lot of the world seems to be having with the catholic clergy? If not he may have been selected because he was not involved in that. I am going to be curious how he deals with that particular issue.

As a matter of personal preference, I would try to avoid this kind of speculation primarily because it relies primarily on anti-Catholic stereotypes and popular prejudice rather than facts.

In a factual sense, however, Cardinal Bergoglio has been targeted by the usual suspects over "human rights" issues in the past.

"Another measure of Bergoglio's seriousness as a candidate was the negative campaigning that swirled around him eight years ago.

Three days before the 2005 conclave, a human rights lawyer in Argentina filed a complaint charging Bergoglio with complicity in the 1976 kidnapping of two liberal Jesuit priests under the country's military regime, a charge Bergoglio flatly denied. There was also an e-mail campaign, claiming to originate with fellow Jesuits who knew Bergoglio when he was the provincial of the order in Argentina, asserting that 'he never smiled.'"

"Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality, staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children, earning a public rebuke from Argentina's President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.

Nevertheless, he has shown deep compassion for the victims of HIV-AIDS; in 2001, he visited a hospice to kiss and wash the feet of 12 AIDS patients."

Profile: New pope, Jesuit Bergoglio, was runner-up in 2005 conclave | National Catholic Reporter

If- as you suppose- the Conclave were swayed by the PR aspects of the child abuse scandal, then surely they would have selected someone who hadn't gone out of his way to antagonize the pro-homophile movement.

A new name. I'm curious, as I am sure others are, of what legacy will become attached to that name.

From what I am reading they are hoping it is a legacy of a 'new deal'. A more progressive church getting away from the corruption and sexual abuses of recent history. We will see. I hope they manage to do this but its going to be a hard row to hoe.

Selek, it is not PR or speculation at this point that they NEED to correct those problems. If they did not elect a pope who can deal with those issues then he will be a failure. The sexual abuse is not a stereotype. It is a horrendous problem for them from a moral standpoint and a PR standpoint.

The abortion, contraception, same sex marriage are doctrinal issues that he seems quite capable of dealing with in a firm manner along previous guidelines. Where they are having problems is the secrecy and failure to deal with the sexual abuse issue and to corruption issues. Hopefully he will bring about changes that will have an effect on those.

Edited by annewandering

Though it's technically Fransisco, it seems as though he will be known as Pope Francis. While he is the first Francis, it's certainly not a name new to Catholicism, and already has quite the legacy to it with Saint Francis of Assisi.

I'm speaking of Papal names. There is a legacy that will become attached to the name of Pope Francis/Francisco I.

From what I am reading they are hoping it is a legacy of a 'new deal'. A more progressive church getting away from the corruption and sexual abuses of recent history.

Horse feathers.

Cardinal Bergoglio has a reputation and a record for doctrinal conservatism and for shutting down the attempted politicization and "liberalization" of the priesthood.

Hardly the man you'd expect to usher in a new era of progressivism and the "dumbing down" of core Catholic doctrine.

If the Church really wanted to convey a message of progressivism and sensitivity to "modern" sensibilities, they wouldn't have elected either Ratzenberger OR Bergoglio.

Both men are known for their hardline stance on doctrine, not their eagerness to appease the pomp of Babylon.

We will see. I hope they manage to do this but its going to be a hard row to hoe.

Indeed we will- but I expect the real problems will lie in reforming the bureaucracy rather than in revising the faith in order to accomodate moral relatavism.

Selek, it is not PR or speculation at this point that they NEED to correct those problems.

The speculation lies in your wild guess that that issue- and the PR surrounding it- was the driving force for Beroglio's election as Pope.

No one has diminished or dismissed the seriousness of the child abuse issue- only your unfounded assumption that it was high on the list of the Cardinal's priorities.

In point of fact, scholars, theologians, and analysts who've studied and dealt with the Catholic Church for years- have discussed Bergoglio's strengths and weaknesses at length.

And none of them have ascribed to your assumptions, theories, or Monday-morning quarterbacking.

If they did not elect a pope who can deal with those issues then he will be a failure.

Actually, the Church already HAS taken solid and concrete steps to deal with the issue and protect children (and the Church) from predatory priests.

Serious reforms HAVE been made and serious lessons HAVE been learned.

The sexual abuse is not a stereotype.

On the contary, the idea that child abuse is endemic or rampant within the Church IS a stereotype- a favorite whipping post for those who wish to flog the Church into submission, and bully them into aquiesence.

Those who abused children within the Church- or who looked the other way in order to shield them from justice- has never been more than a tiny minority.

Yes- even a single instance of child abuse is a tragedy- and the late coverup was unforgivable.

But to tar the entire Church and all Catholic priests as complicit or potential abusers is to engage in bigoted stereotypes.

Where they are having problems is the secrecy and failure to deal with the sexual abuse issue and to corruption issues. Hopefully he will bring about changes that will have an effect on those.

You would be far more honest by saying "continue to bring about changes"- but that would mean acknowledging that the stereotype no longer fits.

I'm surprised by how excited I was by this and how happy I am that the new Pope has been elected. While I'm considered converting to Catholicism, I'm still far from certain but when the white smoke went up I was surprised by how much joy filled my heart, even before they announced who the new Pope was. I'm very happy right now, reading about this new Pope, he seems to be a very good choice. :)

The Argentinian government is not on good terms with the new Pope, so no need to worry about the Falkland Islands....

And I wouldn't say that Cardinal Begoglio is progressivist. The fact that one comes from South America doesn't authomatically make you a progressist....

And I don't think that the election of an Argentinian pope will make proselytism harder for our missionaries either...otherwise they would't have organized new missions in the country,and they wouldn't have built a second temple...

I only hope this man "remains" a good person for the rest of his days.

From what I've gathered so far reading about him, he is humble, very devoted to social justice and the poor, lives in a simple apartment rather than the palatial Cardinal estate, and is doctrinally conservative. Seems like a good choice overall. He is the first Jesuit Pope and the first South American Pope, very exciting.

Edited by ploomf