New Pope Elected

Bini

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, yes It's the first time, but Jesuits always are very closed to every Pope, in latin American they're knowing like Christ Soldiers, and their are consider the hard arm of the church, the history of catholicims it's not too nice with them, because they used to be PRETTY RUFF, but they're in general pretty simple but with strong convictions

Like an hour ago, I read a few words of the New Pope when he was Argentina's Cardenal about of the real roll of the 400,000 catholics bishops around the wold, thery need to go to the streets and a bring the people again to the church......... and other words.. "If Mahoma don't go to te mountin... the Mountain Need to do it.", I don'y thinks this will by a problem for our missionary work... I think is great... because we're not in the Business of getting more Members to LDS Church... our Business ITs Change hearts to God, bring the gospel.. a word of hope & relive, rediscover Christ to others, bring him... really don't matter if a Investigator finaly is Member of LDS church or not... If we can help him or her to change their heart & encourge to be a better man or woman, better spouce, better son... If our missionaries can do that... they make the work done... don't look a New Pope like a Potencial Problem... prey for he became a new opportunity. My vision like convert make me think things with different perspective & I hope so pretty positve for all

First Jesuit, First South-American, First Non-european in 1200 years, First ever with that papal Name, etc.

Clearly the church has now dared to take a drastic step in a totally new direction?

But of course the new pope is also conservative in questions about gay marriage, etc. You can't really expect them to elect someone extremely radical?

But all the other "firsts" on the list is still impressive and shows that the church is open to change!

The pope's to-do list: 7 challenges facing Francis as he starts his new job - World News

This is what nbc thinks the challenges are facing the new pope. It is pretty unlikely that he will do much on several of them, marriage for priests, priesthood for women, or same sex marriage issues being conservative but hopefully he does address the others successfully. Even the 'stereotyped' issues the Catholic church faces.

I would like to thank most of you for your kind words and wishes. As a Catholic, I am thrilled with the choice, for many reasons. The fact that he is from South America will energize the over 500 million Latin American Catholics.

I love his humility. As Archbishop he refused to live in the "palace" available to him, instead choosing to live in an apartment. He also got rid of the limo which was made available and road on buses instead. He is also very strong, refusing to back down or water down the Church's stance on social justice issues. He has been extremely vocal agains the government of Argentina on issue such as abortion and same sex marriage, calling it a plan of the father of lies (that went over well).

The name that a Pope chooses is very important and does give us some idea of the direction and focus he will take. Like Francis of Assisi, Pope Francis has a passion for the poorest among us. And, like Francis of Assisi who reformed the Church from within, there is much work to do in this regard, especially with the internal workings of the Curia.

My personal feelings are that he will bring renewal to the whole Church by being a model of humility and love for the world.

Edited by StephenVH

The pope's to-do list: 7 challenges facing Francis as he starts his new job - World News

This is what nbc thinks the challenges are facing the new pope. It is pretty unlikely that he will do much on several of them, marriage for priests, priesthood for women, or same sex marriage issues being conservative but hopefully he does address the others successfully. Even the 'stereotyped' issues the Catholic church faces.

This is what happens when we listen to the secular world's opnion on the issues the Pope faces.

- Marriage for priests: While this is a discipline, not a doctrine (therefore it can be changed), I wouldn't hold my breath. It is certainly not an issue weighing on the Church leadership.

- Priesthood for women: Again, not an issue at all. It will simply never happen because it cannot happen.

- Same sex marriage: Need we even go there? Certainly not an issue.

These may be issues for NBC News, but they are not issues for the Catholic Church.

Edited by StephenVH

No one has diminished or dismissed the seriousness of the child abuse issue- only your unfounded assumption that it was high on the list of the Cardinal's priorities.

In point of fact, scholars, theologians, and analysts who've studied and dealt with the Catholic Church for years- have discussed Bergoglio's strengths and weaknesses at length.

And none of them have ascribed to your assumptions, theories, or Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Actually, the Church already HAS taken solid and concrete steps to deal with the issue and protect children (and the Church) from predatory priests.

Serious reforms HAVE been made and serious lessons HAVE been learned.

Thank you for this, Selek. Yeah, this is an issue that is extremely important but as you say, the Church has taken very serious steps in order to deal with it. Of course the media would have the world hide their children and run when in sight of a Catholic priest. The truth of the matter is that the incidence of pedaphelia among Catholic clergy is one-tenth of what it is in the general population. Obviously, one is too many.

Yeah the majority of those are never going to happen. I personally hope the new Pope is a champion for the poor and works on improving Catholic catechism. I also hope he continues the previous Popes work of restoring reverence to the liturgy. The more I learn about him though the more I like him so I'm sure he'll do an amazing job no matter what his priorities are.

First Jesuit, First South-American, First Non-european in 1200 years, First ever with that papal Name, etc.

Clearly the church has now dared to take a drastic step in a totally new direction?

But of course the new pope is also conservative in questions about gay marriage, etc. You can't really expect them to elect someone extremely radical?

But all the other "firsts" on the list is still impressive and shows that the church is open to change!

Yes, I think Pope Francis will take the Church in a new direction. The Church is always open to the movement of the Holy Spirit. As to any "radical changes" it is important to know that the first responsibility of the Pope is to protect and guard the deposit of faith handed down from the Apostles. We consider this revealed truth and therefore it cannot change. This would include all doctrines and dogmas of the Church and the moral law which proceeds from this truth. No pope can change this truth (nor would one desire to). If one believes that progress means changing Church teaching to conform with modern notions of sexuality, family, life issues, etc. they will be waiting a long time and will wait in vain.

I would not expect Pope Francis to change doctrine. In fact it would be foolish. Whether clergy in the Catholic church has a rampant pedophilia or corruption problem is not the issue. They are perceived to have those issues. If they are not going to deal with those perceptions then they will continue to be slammed in the media.

Consider how our church has dealt with the issue of same sex marriage. We have made our position clear concerning our reservations. We have talked to gay rights groups to listen to their side of the problem. We have clarified, repeatedly, that we do not consider gay to be a sin. We have made a webpage to let our own affected members speak on the subject. In other words we address the issue not pretend it doesnt exist. We havent always been perfect in this kind of situation but we have learned.

I see no reason why it would help the Catholic church to not deal with their issues in a proactive way.

Why would that even be debatable unless them being martyrs to the media is a good thing?

Whether clergy in the Catholic church has a rampant pedophilia or corruption problem is not the issue. They are perceived to have those issues. If they are not going to deal with those perceptions then they will continue to be slammed in the media.

This is called "a tautology".

The reason low-information voters believe that the Church has "a problem" is because the media tells them so. So long as the media continue to tell them so, low information voters will continue to believe it.

But you're right- the actual facts of the matter are irrelevant so long as people continue to refuse to educate themselves and continue to traffic in the stereotype.

Consider how our church has dealt with the issue of same sex marriage. ... In other words we address the issue not pretend it doesnt exist.

And yet despite all our "outreach", the LDS Church continues to be blasted, lambasted, demonized, and attacked in the radical warrens of SSM agitation.

Unless and until we abjectly surrender our values and humbly begin to celebrate theirs, we will continue to be objects of scorn and ridicule.

The same is true of the Catholic Church.

So long as the Pope and his faith stand opposed to modern sexual dogmatism and libertinism, they will continue to be attacked as hopelessly antiquated- which is precisely why NBC and so many other outlets published so many idiotic puff pieces about female priests, celibacy, and contraception.

I see no reason why it would help the Catholic church to not deal with their issues in a proactive way.

Your statement assumes- without evidence- that they have not been "[dealing] with these issues in a proactive way."

Why would that even be debatable unless them being martyrs to the media is a good thing?

Refer back to your own tautology.

So long as it serves the media agenda to make the Catholic Church a whipping post, the media will continue to treat them as one- no matter what the Catholic leadership does or does not do.

Edited by selek

Whenever someone takes a firm stand, there will always be those seeking to knock them off their feet. It doesn't matter what their position is, or who's side they're on. Said another way, "Haters gonna hate."

Now, what is the LDS perspective on this?

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our conscience, and allow all men the same; let them worship how, where, or what they may."

At the end of the day, society can pressure a religion all they like. It is up to the religion and them alone to decide what their doctrines and practices are. They are amenable to nobody, as the root of religious belief lies within the human heart and mind. Freedom of thought cannot be legislated against under any condition.

Do I disagree with some of what the Catholic church teaches? Of course, I'm a Mormon, it's an expected condition. Do they have to answer to me, or listen to what I believe? Not in the least. I'm not forced into their membership, so they can do as they please.

I would rather just wish the new Pope well and pray that God guides him in his new responsibility for so vast a religion. After that, it's really none of my business.

I would like to thank most of you for your kind words and wishes. As a Catholic, I am thrilled with the choice, for many reasons. The fact that he is from South America will energize the over 500 million Latin American Catholics.

I love his humility. As Archbishop he refused to live in the "palace" available to him, instead choosing to live in an apartment. He also got rid of the limo which was made available and road on buses instead. He is also very strong, refusing to back down or water down the Church's stance on social justice issues. He has been extremely vocal agains the government of Argentina on issue such as abortion and same sex marriage, calling it a plan of the father of lies (that went over well).

The name that a Pope chooses is very important and does give us some idea of the direction and focus he will take. Like Francis of Assisi, Pope Francis has a passion for the poorest among us. And, like Francis of Assisi who reformed the Church from within, there is much work to do in this regard, especially with the internal workings of the Curia.

My personal feelings are that he will bring renewal to the whole Church by being a model of humility and love for the world.

Hi Steve, I just read his Wikipedia entry... Did he really pick Francis for St. Francis of Assissi the Franciscan? It just seemed more logical that he would choose Francis after St. Francis Xavier, one of the founders of the Jesuits. I love St. Xavier. And I think it is very appropriate for the times to run this Papacy in honor of Xavier - one of the greatest missionaries of the Church.

I can't find the link now but a Vatican spokesman confirmed that it was St Francis of Assisi. A Jesuit superior that was interviewed said that the Pope has always admired St Francis for his devotion to the poor, and his efforts to rebuild the Church in his time.

I can't find the link now but a Vatican spokesman confirmed that it was St Francis of Assisi. A Jesuit superior that was interviewed said that the Pope has always admired St Francis for his devotion to the poor, and his efforts to rebuild the Church in his time.

On that note, this is the perfect opportunity to share one of my most favorite Catholic prayers:

The Prayer of St. Francis of Assissi

(Song version)

“Make me a channel of your peace,

Where there is hatred let me bring your love,

Where there is injury your pardon Lord,

And where there’s doubt true faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace,

Where there’s despair in life, let me bring hope,

Where there is darkness, only light,

And where there’s sadness, ever joy.

O Master grant that I may never seek,

So much to be consoled as to console,

To be understood as to understand,

To be loved as to love with all my soul.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,

In giving of ourselves that we receive.

And in dying that we’re born to eternal life.

With just that prayer on Pope Francis' heart, the world should be a much better place with his leadership.

Edited by anatess

I got out of class just in time to sit and wait for the new pope come out on the balcony (ewtn.com). It was exciting to wait and wonder who it would be. I didn't know anything about the man's history, so once he came out out and the name announced, I looked him up. I think all those 'liberal' Catholics must be crying in their St Paddy's Day beer. This guy is no liberal and is not going to change very much in the church. No women priests with this guy!

He sounds like a humble man who respects all life. We'll see what happens.

On that note, this is the perfect opportunity to share one of my most favorite Catholic prayers:

(Song version)

With just that prayer on Pope Francis' heart, the world should be a much better place with his leadership.

Welcome back, anatess!

Hi Steve, I just read his Wikipedia entry... Did he really pick Francis for St. Francis of Assissi the Franciscan? It just seemed more logical that he would choose Francis after St. Francis Xavier, one of the founders of the Jesuits. I love St. Xavier. And I think it is very appropriate for the times to run this Papacy in honor of Xavier - one of the greatest missionaries of the Church.

I see the question has been answered already. Yes, we all thought that Francis Xavier was a possibilty but it turns out to be Francis of Assisi. You make a great point, seeing that Francis Xavier was a Jesuit, but I think that it makes his pick even that more meaningful. Francis was one of the greatest internal reformers the Church has known. In addition Pope Francis' concern for the poor is right in line with name he has chosen.

(Song version)

One of my favorites as well, but I'm a little bias. I have belonged to the Secular Francisacn Order since June, 1994 so I am quite thrilled with the direction our new Pope is following.

I see the question has been answered already. Yes, we all thought that Francis Xavier was a possibilty but it turns out to be Francis of Assisi. You make a great point, seeing that Francis Xavier was a Jesuit, but I think that it makes his pick even that more meaningful. Francis was one of the greatest internal reformers the Church has known. In addition Pope Francis' concern for the poor is right in line with name he has chosen.

Stephen - I did not use my thanks button because I did not think it would give the correct understanding - that I really appriciate you point of view. And I am concerned thay you may not appriciate my next statement - because there are points upon which you and I disagree (a lot). The point is that you do bring another view point that I very much appriciate and from which I learn and change my perspective of things. You are like a discovery of a "religious" Higgs boson to my religious thinking.

Thanks - The Traveler

Stephen - I did not use my thanks button because I did not think it would give the correct understanding - that I really appriciate you point of view. And I am concerned thay you may not appriciate my next statement - because there are points upon which you and I disagree (a lot). The point is that you do bring another view point that I very much appriciate and from which I learn and change my perspective of things. You are like a discovery of a "religious" Higgs boson to my religious thinking.

Thanks - The Traveler

I appreciate that, Traveler. The exchange of ideas is essential in discovering truth. We don't have to agree to everything but we can certainly respect each other as people. Thank you for your kind words.