New Pope Elected

Bini

The white smoke billows!

Any inklings as to who has been appointed as Pope? I heard somewhere that it could be a Filipino Pope, which is cool but maybe not.

What does it make so important for one to guess... (as a Mormon)? Jacta alea est... not a Filipino. :lol:

I thought Mr. Berlusconi would have been elected as the new pope, but my inklings were obviously wrong. Doesn't mind, next time my foreseeing will be more exact... exercising makes the master.

Edited by JimmiGerman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.... I wonder if (having gotten roundly, soundly, and devastatingly horse-whipped in the recent plebescite) the Argentinian government will try to parlay the election of Pope Francis I into some sort of sanction for their saber rattling over the Falklands.

It's hardly surprising as the one and only British cardinal wasn't allowed to go to the conclave. (He had to stay at home as a punishment for being naughty.) Now after all the trouble we went to to keep the Falkland Islands, probably the Catholic God wants us to give them back to the Argies! Let's hope the Protestant God can beat him!

It's hardly surprising as the one and only British cardinal wasn't allowed to go to the conclave. (He had to stay at home as a punishment for being naughty.) Now after all the trouble we went to to keep the Falkland Islands, probably the Catholic God wants us to give them back to the Argies! Let's hope the Protestant God can beat him!

What in the world are y'all talking about? Is this supposed to be a joke or is this supposed to be sarcasm? I'm not very good with reading post intents without the aid of some smileys...

In any case, Catholic Popes (in the modern era) do not posture on political disputes between countries. Catholic Popes merely aid in maintaining peaceful resolutions to whatever it is that ails them.

President Kirchner seems to hope that His Holiness will intervene; though she is expressing that hope in rather circumspect terms.

It's funny to see the Argentines complaining about the "problems" of a "British militarization" of the region. Someone refresh my memory--who invaded whom, in the Falklands war?

President Kirchner seems to hope that His Holiness will intervene; though she is expressing that hope in rather circumspect terms.

It's funny to see the Argentines complaining about the "problems" of a "British militarization" of the region. Someone refresh my memory--who invaded whom, in the Falklands war?

It's political posturing, if even it is reported correctly. She darned well knows (well, I'm assuming she knows her catechism) that the Pope has no interest in winning her the Falklands regardless of to whom the Pope personally believes the Falklands rightly belongs to.

And yes, to refresh your memory, the Argentines started the armed conflict in '82 after repeatedly refusing to come to the negotiation table after WWII until the political power decided they needed a distraction to get the Argentinian patriotism burning again. Thatcher whooped their behinds (gaining her political points in the process as well) and the Argentines are still whining about it until today.

And, it was not so long ago that Pope JPII set them straight with Chile. Not to kowtow to one country or the other, but to actually get both countries to stop acting like children. So Kirsch would know better than to get Pope Francis to grant her political aspirations.

And yes, every 4 years, I yell Viva Argentina at least once. I'm a Mario Kempes, Diego Maradona, Messi fanatic even when I'm obligated to root for Spain.

Edited by anatess

What in the world are y'all talking about? Is this supposed to be a joke or is this supposed to be sarcasm? I'm not very good with reading post intents without the aid of some smileys...

In any case, Catholic Popes (in the modern era) do not posture on political disputes between countries. Catholic Popes merely aid in maintaining peaceful resolutions to whatever it is that ails them.

Sorry Anatess - it was supposed to be a joke. Not a very good one, but I try ;)

Everyone knows of course there is only one God: the Protestant one!! (Joking again :D)