What's the last book you read?

Connie

The Adventures of Sir Lancelot the Great by Gerald Morris. This is a cute little kids book of stories about Sir Lancelot. I've read this recently in an attempt to find something to tempt my 8yo boy. He has been saying lately how much he dislikes reading so i asked him to tell me something he would like to read. His response was "something with lots and lots of battles." So i thought, okay how about knights. Yeah, he hasn't looked at it twice. Any ideas on books for boys with "lots and lots of battles?"

• 2 weeks later...

Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander, M.D. Great read. He's a neurosurgeon who didn't believe in life after death until he had a very profound NDE (Near Death Experience). It was interesting how his story happened. Too many "coincidences", but I don't believe in coincidence. :)

• 2 months later...

I've been reading plenty of tasty book candy this summer. Here are a few:

The Magic Thief series by Sarah Prineas was pretty good, nothing too special, but good.

Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson was pretty funny. He must have really enjoyed writing that book and making fun of authors.

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith and The Ranger's Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan were quite good.

Also reading plenty of Jessica Day George and William Joyce books. Those are fun.

Re-reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen was a delight. And I tried out an author I've never read before, Something New by P.G. Wodehouse. He has such a droll way of writing. It was quite amusing.

So what books have y'all been reading this summer?

The Oath: The Obama White House and The Supreme Court by Jeffrey Toobin

If memory serves me right, you are/were one that had several books in different stages of reading going at the same time. :)

What's your thoughts on Rough Stone Rolling? Do you think there are portions in there that paint Joseph in an unfavorable light? Anything that might shake members who are unfamiliar with the Church history or the historical Joseph?

I've read it myself and would like to hear a second opinion on it (maybe start a fresh thread if there's enough interest).

• 4 weeks later...

What's your thoughts on Rough Stone Rolling? Do you think there are portions in there that paint Joseph in an unfavorable light? Anything that might shake members who are unfamiliar with the Church history or the historical Joseph?

I've read it myself and would like to hear a second opinion on it (maybe start a fresh thread if there's enough interest).

Unfavorable or not, it is history. The book does a great job and painting an *accurate* picture of Joseph Smith, warts and all. But despite his shortcomings, the Lord was still able to use him to restore God's church and use him as an instrument. This is a great lesson for all of us imperfect people who can use this as an example to show that the Lord can take an imperfect human to do such great things.

• 2 months later...

Some books I've read in the last couple of months that I really liked are:

When the Lights Went Out: Three Studies on the Ancient Apostasy by Hugh Nibley. Loved it... love Hugh Nibley!

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. I was kind of "meh" about the story itself, but his writing style is quite amazing... very rich and beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently finished The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister. This was a very thorough work on Christ's atonement. It was so great! I really liked the chapters on the fall of Adam, the blessing of repentance, the blessing of motivation and the section on gifts of the Spirit. Some of the last chapters went through some good questions: How do Justice and Mercy relate to the Atonement? and Was the Atonement Necessary or Was there Another Way? Like I said, it was very thorough. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...