What's the last book you read?

Connie

In high school, I had an English teacher who enjoyed my essay for her class tell me that I should read Louis L'Amour. I recently got into a conversation with friends who told me how great Louis L'Amour was. So I decided to take the plunge and I checked out the first Louis L'Amour book I came across in a search at our local public library site: Last of the Breed, which turned out to be his second-to-last book. Started reading it the day after Thanksgiving, finished it up about six days later. Pretty good book; I think my English teacher was right, and I would have enjoyed L'Amour a lot, especially if I had started reading him at 17 instead of at 50.

Don'tcha just hate that?

I missed out on the Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin books for "only" 10 years (because I loathed the covers when I was 13). Read the entire 50+ book lot of them while I was nursing. Upside: they kept me awake at oh-dark-30. Downside... Murder books probably aren't the best idea when hormonal & sleep deprived.

I've also just "discovered" Elmore Leonard. Head smack.

When I consider all the tripe & garbage I've read over the years, while completely ignoring recommendations from people I thought were idiots...oy. Hundreds and hundreds of books.

The worst is when I DON'T like them now, but could see myself loving them back when.

None of the above listed qualify, fortunately.

Q

Just finished reading Watership Down, after having it sitting on my bookshelf for years. I actually enjoyed it a lot. :)

Now I'm re-reading Beauty by Robin McKinley for the umpteenth time. :lol:

So got over the discrepency between the cute bunny on the cover and all the violence? :lol:

I last read "Beauty" this spring, and my unresearched theory is that book inspired the Disney Beauty and the Beast more than anything else did.

So got over the discrepency between the cute bunny on the cover and all the violence? :lol:

I last read "Beauty" this spring, and my unresearched theory is that book inspired the Disney Beauty and the Beast more than anything else did.

Ya, I did. :lol:

And definitely this book is where Disney got it's inspiration. A book-worm heroine with an over-sized horse? Yup.

Last week a read A Christ Centered Christmas - I thought it was a really well though out book with some really good ideas for making Christmas more Christ centered by starting various traditions of service and study and as you complete each one adding a figure to your nativity scene.

Prior to that I read a very short book - more a booklet really - called The Last Straw which again was about making Christ the focus of your Christmas celebrations by carrying out acts of secret service and each time you do something adding another straw to a manager so that one Chrstmas Eve baby jesus (well a doll symbolizing Jesus) will have nice soft bed - the more secret service the more straw and therefore the softer the bed will be

• 4 weeks later...
Last week a read A Christ Centered Christmas - I thought it was a really well though out book with some really good ideas for making Christmas more Christ centered by starting various traditions of service and study and as you complete each one adding a figure to your nativity scene.

I liked that book, too.

The last book I read was The Napoleon of Notting Hill by G.K. Chesterton. This is the first book I've read by Chesterton. I wasn't really sure what to make of it, but it was interesting.

I've been getting into the South Pole expeditions again and am reading 'The Worst Journey on Earth' about the Scott expedition, written by one of the men who was lucky enough to be sent back before the final push for the Pole and 'South: The Story of Shackleton's 1914-1917 Expedition,' by Ernest Shackleton. Amazing accomplishments, much suffering, much bravery, and not a little stupidity, especially with Scott.

Two (among many) amazing facts about Shackleton's expedition:

1. Shackleton successfully navigated a twenty-foot lifeboat with six occupants over 800 nautical miles of open ocean during hurricane season in Antarctic Autumn, riding out a hurricane that sunk a 500-ton steamer, landing on the south side of his target island -- then blazed a never-before-navigated route with two others over an unexplored mountain range to reach the north side of the island to send help to his three companions stuck on the south side and to all his men stranded on Elephant Island.

2. Shackleton didn't lose a single man.

Not. A. Single. Man.

How about that?

Edited by Vort
mispeling

I've seen Shackleton's life boat in person. It's hard to believe he made the trip in it. You might want to see:

. There are 3 parts.

If you do a Google search, you will see a lot of literature on Shackleton's leadership model as used in business.

My best friend in grad school was a Norwegian. You have not heard about the South Pole until you hear it from a Norwegian talking about Amundsen. : )

I also just read a short Kindle book, ' Genesis Evolution: A Unique Way of Uniting Christianity and Science, an LDS Perspective (Understanding Mormon Doctrine and Evolution Together),' B. Russell McConkie. I always wondered about this, so I'm glad I got it as an amazon suggestion.