What's the last book you read?

Connie

"The Last Dark" by Stephen R. Donaldson. The last book in the 3rd (and final) series of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. (9 books overall) Dark book about fighting one's despair in a real work vs an imagined one with real consequences. Difficult to read at times but the story is compelling. The first book is "Lord Foul's Bane".

By far, my favorite author is C.J. Cherryh. She has several series of books that are all phenomenal to read. My favorites are "The Dreaming Tree" (2 books on roughly based on gaelic mythology); The Morgaine Cycle (5 books); Foreigner series (incredibly epic scifi); Chanur series. (scifi)

Faith based reading: Finished "Believing Christ" (must read!) and "Life Everlasting". (very interesting read); Joseph Smith Papers Vol 1.

Scriptures every night.

P.S. -Love Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game". I have read the book countless times. Watched the movie recently. It was decent, I thought.

Edited by aeglyn

For Fun:

Shakespeare: The World as a Stage. - Bill Bryson

One of my favorites of his, A Walk in the Woods is more humourous and A Short History of Nearly Everything is more thought provoking, but the Shakespeare book is pretty good.

Church Wise:

The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power. - D. Michael Quinn

Meh, it was ok. Origins of Power was better not quite so focused on an agenda and more on history...clearer lines about when Quinn was hypothesizing as opposed to factual conclusions. That line was more blurry in Extensions. I would issue a qualified recommend, but the reader should know what they are in for.

-RM

"The Last Dark" by Stephen R. Donaldson. The last book in the 3rd (and final) series of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. (9 books overall) Dark book about fighting one's despair in a real work vs an imagined one with real consequences. Difficult to read at times but the story is compelling. The first book is "Lord Foul's Bane".

By far, my favorite author is C.J. Cherryh. She has several series of books that are all phenomenal to read. My favorites are "The Dreaming Tree" (2 books on roughly based on gaelic mythology); The Morgaine Cycle (5 books); Foreigner series (incredibly epic scifi); Chanur series. (scifi)

Faith based reading: Finished "Believing Christ" (must read!) and "Life Everlasting". (very interesting read); Joseph Smith Papers Vol 1.

Scriptures every night.

P.S. -Love Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game". I have read the book countless times. Watched the movie recently. It was decent, I thought.

Love Cherryh... Ever try Brin's uplift series? Also Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy is really good too, as is his COBRA series (not related to GI Joe).

Love Cherryh... Ever try Brin's uplift series? Also Timothy Zahn's Conquerors trilogy is really good too, as is his COBRA series (not related to GI Joe).

I haven't tried Brin's work yet. I will look into it though, thanks.

For a real treat, try reading Roger Zelasny's Amber series. It starts with "Nine princes in Amber".

• 4 weeks later...

Just completed the 4 book series The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham.

Not often you see a fantasy series recommend by both Brandon Sanderson and George R.R. Martin, two great but very different fantasy authors. I was drawn in to this series and couldn't put the last book down. I really enjoyed it and my wife is reading it now. It's weightier in drama and intrigue and lighter in action then I'm used too. In this way it reminded me in a way of Lois McMaster Bujolds The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls both wonderful books. The writing is not graphic and he keeps romantic scenes brief.

I recommend it.

It's weightier in drama and intrigue and lighter in action then I'm used too. In this way it reminded me in a way of Lois McMaster Bujolds The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls both wonderful books. The writing is not graphic and he keeps romantic scenes brief. I recommend it.

I don't think I've read any fantasy since I read the Gormenghast Trilogy, years ago. I have yet to find fantasy writing on such a scale and of such depth. Are these books anything along those lines?

Wait, wait - how about the 'Worm Ouroboros'? Beautifully descriptive. Can these books compare?

(I am putting the Lord of the Rings in a category by itself.)

Edited by dahlia
added another book

I don't think I've read any fantasy since I read the Gormenghast Trilogy, years ago. I have yet to find fantasy writing on such a scale and of such depth. Are these books anything along those lines?

Wait, wait - how about the 'Worm Ouroboros'? Beautifully descriptive. Can these books compare?

(I am putting the Lord of the Rings in a category by itself.)

I have not read the books you reference so unfortunately I can’t compare. I looked them up and it appears they are very much Classic Gothic Fantasy. I absolutely love Lord of the Rings and I think you are right to put LOTR in a category by itself. While I love Tolkein and have read some of those who followed him like Terry Brooks and Robert Jordan I found them lacking in some respects. Of the books I’ve read the one that comes close to generating that sense of mystery, awe and wonder has been the The Deed of Paksenarrion: A Novel by Elizabeth Moon.

While Tolkien stands on his own, this newer fantasy pays the master homage by generating whole new worlds with new magic systems and new cultures. This is being led by our very own Brandon Sanderson (BYU Professor) who is literary fantasy aficionado and genius. Others along these lines are Patrick Ruthfus and Brent Weeks.

The series I read by Daniel Abraham are rich in description and character development, but they are new Fantasy in that the magic is very outside of the box. There are no dwarves or elves etc. The conflict of the Long Price Quartet takes place in world where you have an oriental type culture that has great power (magic) vs the western culture that is developing (think steam punk). This series was refreshing to me because the author was so subtle and unassuming throughout that you didn’t realize he was building a beautiful underlying theme illustrating the power of forgiveness.

Not all authors do this, and George R.R. Martin who recommended this series (who many would say is one of the greatest writers of our time) in his own writing plays with themes but ultimate his works feel empty even though they are highly entertaining, engrossing and gripping.

If you want to step into some newer writing by students of the greats, then the series is a safe bet. I would definitely look into Brandon Sanderson as well if you’re looking to try some new fantasy. I'd recommend Mistborn series .

The last book i read was Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I thought it was great. :)

Thanks for the recommendation Connie.

My son has been struggling in school and I wanted to give him some structure. I purchased this book on the nook last night and gave it too him with the plan to have him read for a set time everyday after I get home. I was surprised that he fell asleep reading it and he was reading it before school in the few minutes he had. He shared some funny parts with me before he left. I've never seen him so into any book. He even wanted to take my nook to his friends how after school...had to say no to that one. He loves it!