What's the last book you read?

Connie

I am rereading a book I received for my birthday 4 years ago from my vt. companion. Its a great book enjoyed it the first time. Its amazing how I forget the simple things which leads me into delving into some deeper stuff. The book is NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. by Sherri Dew I highly recommend reading this book, men could read it too!!! Do any of you ever think about who you are and who you have always been??? And who we may become??? The choices we have bewteen following Christ or embracing the world. our spirits long for us to remember the truth about ourselves that we are all noble, but we seem to not realize this or forget. We need to continue to nurish our faith and grow in this area and learn to draw upon the power of the atonement. Theres this book i have been wanting to get on the atonement cant recall the name need to go 2 deserate books Im going to see if they have it in paper back. Most of the times I dont get the books I want cause they are too costly. Do any of u have a good book on the Atonement you can recommend?

Protector by Niven

I can't say how much I love this author. he has a real fun play ground and in general I've really enjoyed his (and what he let others do with) his fictional universe and history.

Anyways I think so far his universe probably has the best sci-fi use of religion and myth that I've come across (better than stargate even)- this book sets up humanity's past and explains things like why we really have our god myths and legends, why we are/were so patriarchal/elder centric in older cultures, why we develop our various aging symptoms as we get older, and how the adam and eve story fits in his universe. (Here's a hint- we are not from earth, but more or less a failed colonization attempt and mostly failed because it was found new generations could not acquire their third stage of what normally they'd be able to grow into)

One interesting idea that comes across in this book is the concept that once you know everything you basically lose free will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rush Limbaugh's Brave Pilgrims and First Patriot.  Surprisingly good reading even when they're tween books.  My kid chose both books for a book report in school as it was recommended by the Barnes and Noble customer service person when he asked them about a historical fiction for kids and he recognized the name from the radio show...

I just finished reading no doubt about it by sheri dew.   Read it the first time 4 yrs ago it is still an awesome book.  I will probably read it again in the near future.  Any day in the mail I will be getting The Infinate Atonement.  I want to understand the atonement more.  Next book will be how to get closer to the Spirit any one have any suggestions on a good book for that topic??

Roseslipper,

I've been reading a book called Hearing the Voice of the Lord by Gerald Lund.  I'm not quite finished with it yet, but it is a great one on getting closer to the Spirit.  It has all the basics in it, and i have found great enjoyment as i have gotten deeper into it.  It contains some really interesting insights.

• 4 weeks later...

Rush Limbaugh's Brave Pilgrims and First Patriot.  Surprisingly good reading even when they're tween books.  My kid chose both books for a book report in school as it was recommended by the Barnes and Noble customer service person when he asked them about a historical fiction for kids and he recognized the name from the radio show...

I enjoy reading his books. Might read that one for myself. Lol

I hesitate posting on here, because I read a lot (for fun usually one a day & for work I don't count), but it occurred to me that here might be as good a place as any to do a weekly sum up. Because I'll eventually (or immediately) stop... And it's always so depressing to have yet another journal attempt bite the dust!

Caveats aside, this week:

- Graveyard of Memories...Barry Eisler

- A Clean Kill in Tokyo... Barry Eisler

- Jerusalem; A cookbook... Yotam Ottolenghi

- Spies of Jerusalem... Colin Smih

- 6th Grave on the Edge... Darynda Jones

- The Graveyard Book... Neil Gaiman

Ha. While there are often themes... They're usually not in the title. Apparently this weeks theme was death. In myriad presentation.

Q

Thanks for sharing, Quin.  I'd love to hear a sum up of what you read every week.  I read a lot too but don't post nearly half of what i read.  I figure i'd start sounding like a lone echo, but i love hearing what others are reading.

Last fiction book i read:  A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  I read this book at the request of my husband.  He's read all of this particular series and loves super macho man books.  I was teasing him about that again (which is so much fun), and he told me--again--that i should read it for myself.  So i told him i would if he would read one of the christian romance books i tend to read a lot of.  Poor man.  He's plodding through a christian romance book while i read this one.  It was actually quite entertaining.  Nothing particularly special about it... but entertaining in a super macho man kind of way.

Last audiobook i listened to:  The Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan.  Book 8 in the series.  I like this series.  They are fun books.  I love the sense of brotherhood and fellowship from the characters in these books.  They all play different roles but work for a common purpose.  I love the respect and friendship they have for one another.

Last LDS non-fiction book:  Men of Valor: The Powerful Impact of a RIghteous Man by Robert L. Millet.  I loved this book.  It was amazing.  And while it was written for a male audience, i found i learned a lot that could help me in my life as a woman.  I thought it had some interesting ways of looking at variuos principles.  I had never thought of them that way before, and it was really helpful.

Last non-fiction book:  The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis.  Really good book.  Love C.S. Lewis.  He has a way of putting things that just makes sense.

Last christian romance book:  The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson.  A Beauty and the Beast type story.  I liked it, but then i just eat this type of thing up like crazy.

Okay... Not quite a week but close & Im on the road for the next couple weeks. So, this past week Quin's head has been in:

- City of Heavenly Fire ... Cassandra Clare

- Shattered ... Teri Terry

- The Giver ... Lois Lowry

- Beowulf ... Rebsamen translation (love the lyric, even if he messed with the alliteration too much IMHO newest version. I liked the earlier version he did better. Also, totally vexed that the kindle version doesn't have the caesuras! )

Theme for the week : Lock up your children after dark

Q

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Quin,

I just finished the The Ocean at the End of the Lane  by Neil Gaiman. I loved it and would recommend it despite one scene but it did not have much description as it was seen thru the eyes of a 7 year old.

I tried to get thru American Gods but was taken aback with some of the sexual content. Can you speak of his other books as far as their content. I am impressed with his writing but want to avoid some of the sexual content.

100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson.  Great book/story.   I liked it so much I read the 2nd book in the series "Dandelion Fire" and as soon as I can get the 3rd one from the Library I'll be reading Chestnut King and the other books.

Its a story about a boy who was adopted.  His adoptive parents are abducted on vacation so he goes to live with his Aunt and Uncle and three cousins.  During the summer he's there he finds a cupboard door which leads him to finding the other cupboard doors.  By going into the cupboards he ends up in another world and discovers who he really is and who is Uncle really is.  Well written and a very engaging story.  I will probably start reading this author to my grandson soon.

added:  I didn't realize they made trailers for books

The Racketeer by John Grisham

Pleasantly surprised.  Fast summer read.  Entertaining.  

The last few months I have been re-reading Diana Gabaldon's series which starts with The Outlander.  They are historical fiction and a love story.  I enjoyed the story the first time I read the books and I've enjoyed it more this time.  There are scenes in the story I skip.  The characters are well fleshed out.  The reason I decided to re-read the series is she release another book in the series and the first book is being made into a TV series for the Starz channel (unfortunately I don't have cable TV :( ).